Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight Pride

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Ultimately Gay Pride will be unnecessary & irrelevant and i look forward to that day.:)

Question is in ireland with the gay marriage being passed , is that day now?

Surely any further discrimination (if it exists) is based on individuals rather than agents and apparatus of the state?

If not , what is left for gay people to rally against?

on an additional note I had no idea what a cisgender was. Taking the advise of a poster above I googled it.

I am now enlightened and perhaps wish I wasnt.
    It is pathetic we need to invent these type of words now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think some people don't 'get' this thread.

What's there to get about it? Sometimes I feel sad as a straight guy and nobody organises a parade to cheer me up. Goddamn gays have all the fun…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Has anyone complained about not being able to call a black person "nigga" when some of them do so among themselves? I'd be very disappointed if it didn't crop up at some stage in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Has anyone complained about not being able to call a black person "nigga" when some of them do so among themselves? I'd be very disappointed if it didn't crop up at some stage in the thread.

Hush up cracka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah - and when's International Men's Day?

(It's November 19th - thanks Richard Herring!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

arayess wrote: »
    on an additional note I had no idea what a cisgender was. Taking the advise of a poster above I googled it.

I am now enlightened and perhaps wish I wasnt.
    It is pathetic we need to invent these type of words now?
    What's pathetic about it?

I always thought pathetic referred to an observation that caused pity, or angry pity.

Why would the use of the term cisgender cause either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No. Not when you look at the vociferous nature of the no campaign, and the fact that at least 734,300 people opposed the amendment. Not to mention the thousands who were unsure about which way to vote and abstained. Attitudes in Ireland will take a lot longer to change than over the course of a referendum campaign.
    Surely any further discrimination (if it exists) is based on individuals rather than agents and apparatus of the state?
    Individuals make up a society though, and as long as there are homophobic people around, and organizations such as IONA are given such prominence in the media, Gay Pride parades are a good thing. Plus they seem like an awful lot of fun.

For example: Same sex marriage was legislated for in 2011 in New York - and yet here we have this kind of prevalent attitude in 2015 - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/lgbt-groups-likely-to-be-banned-again-from-new-york-st-patricks-day-parade-31294998.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

MrVestek wrote: »
    Isn't every day straight pride? I hate to sound like a tumblerite but you're speaking from a position of privilege.

How am I speaking from a position of privilege, are you assuming I'm straight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Why doesn't such a thing exist?

It was originally nothing but 'an appeal to ridicule'. It was meant to criticize gay pride as unnecessary. It was meant to be absurd like the monster raving loony party. But it confused people.

If you are to take it seriously it's an oxymoron.

I do feel of course everyone should be welcome in this world. And you should be proud of your sexuality so long as it hurts no one.

By the way the rainbow flag, it's for everyone. In reality pride welcomes everyone who is not hostile to EVERYONE being there. That is usually the issue with proponents of things like white pride or straight pride. They are not embracing of the other and so they feel isolated and start to feel a type of resentment that is difficult to justify to anyone else but themselves.

Truly everyone is welcome at pride, who comes with love. But you have to welcome everyone else too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What colour flag will it use ?

Blue obviously.

Not sure you understand the difference between oppression and disagreement, but at any rate they weren't treated that way for being straight. They were treated that way for being awful people.

Hate to burst your pink bubble but some awful people also voted Yes .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm looking forward to Pride this year, its going to be one hell of a party. Its a great opportunity for various marriage equality groups around the country to meet up for the first time post referendum, its going to be a huge celebration of the Yes vote and maybe it will start to become redundant after this but they deserve to end things on a high.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Because straight people don't get beaten up for holding their partner's hand.

Does that include business partners? :confused:

Perhaps the OP can give examples of times/places where hetrosexual people have faced stigma, oppression, discrimination, persecution and violence on a massive scale ?

Na thought not.

Well I stumbled into The George one night and ....... ah forget it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Pride is for people who are happy with and accept themselves. Everyone. Accepting yourself is hard ...for EVERYONE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they kept it to a few days a year and didn't march through gay neighbourhoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

kowloon wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a problem with it if they kept it to a few days a year and didn't march through gay neighbourhoods.

I'm as tolerant as the next person (of people who are exactly like me) but why can't they tone it down a bit? I bet if they tried, they could have whole conversations that didn't reference miles-per-litre or ball games.

It was originally nothing but 'an appeal to ridicule'. It was meant to criticize gay pride as unnecessary. It was meant to be absurd like the monster raving loony party. But it confused people.

I do feel of course everyone should be welcome in this world. And you should be proud of your sexuality so long as it hurts no one.

By the way the rainbow flag, it's for everyone. In reality pride welcomes everyone who is not hostile to EVERYONE being there. That is usually the issue with proponents of things like white pride or straight pride. They are not embracing of the other and so they feel isolated and start to feel a type of resentment that is difficult to justify to anyone else but themselves.

Truly everyone is welcome at pride, who comes with love. But you have to welcome everyone else too.

I've heard (from my gay friend) that anal does actually hurt though! :eek:

• Advertisement

Just quoting this in case anybody missed it - nailed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I've heard (from my gay friend) that anal does actually hurt though! :eek:
    He's not doing it right

Hes not doing it right

I'll inform him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

So everyone that voted no is as bad as Hitler? Give over…

You completely missed the point there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You completely missed the point there.

The point that you were Godwinning the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

It is a bit annoying though.

If you're a white straight atheist you don't have anything to fall back on when losing an argument.

Advertisement