Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance problem

Options
  • 09-06-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hello,

I have an Aussie cousin visiting who has just bought a camper van to do some touring.

They are having an issue getting insurance as they do not have proof I an ROI address.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hello,

I have an Aussie cousin visiting who has just bought a camper van to do some touring.

They are having an issue getting insurance as they do not have proof I an ROI address.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

D.

One possibility: Insure it in your / families name with open drive assuming aussie licence is covered on open driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes I've considered that but unfortunately I had a fairly heafty claim last year and one if the requirement is proof of 5 years no claims history.

Another family member would be an option but u guess we would need to do a transfer of ownership into their name.

The same couple has had a camper insured in the uk previously without an issue so don't understand why Ireland is so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Did you talk to Dolmen Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dee bee

stuart insurance (broker for aviva) also does good rates on camper insurance. no harm asking if they have a solution to ur predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Another very good reason why the whole Insurance industry here needs investigating, why can't we have a level playing field like the rest of Europe? Multi vehicle policies etc, so restrictive here, I was insured in Macedonia a few years ago and ANYBODY could drive my car provide they had a licence, my permission and not banned, no naming etc. Also ourselves and UK seems to be the only place where it is the person who is insured not the vehicle! Of course they extract more money from us that way. I think in most of Europe it's the vehicle is "named" on the policy and anybody can drive. Why can't we go shopping in Europe for our insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

digger58 wrote: »
    Another very good reason why the whole Insurance industry here needs investigating, why can't we have a level playing field like the rest of Europe? Multi vehicle policies etc, so restrictive here, I was insured in Macedonia a few years ago and ANYBODY could drive my car provide they had a licence, my permission and not banned, no naming etc. Also ourselves and UK seems to be the only place where it is the person who is insured not the vehicle! Of course they extract more money from us that way. I think in most of Europe it's the vehicle is "named" on the policy and anybody can drive. Why can't we go shopping in Europe for our insurance?

Not sure that I follow you here. On both my camper and car insurance I could have open driving so that anyone with a licence could drive, providing they have a licence, are not banned and have my permission, but I choose to have just myself and one other named driver.

On my car insurance, haven't bothered checking the camper ins., I'm covered to drive any other vehicle provided that it's not owned or hired by me, and the other vehicle doesn't have to be insured in it's own right.

I can't comment on how costs compare with the rest of Europe but the system here doesn't seem to be different from what it was when I living in the U.K. in the '90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Open driving is an extra, they will charge for the privilage, I didn't have that on my Macedonian policy, as I said it's the vehicle that's covered out there, ie the car is insured and anybody can drive it provided they have a licence, have permission and aren't banned, no such thing as looking for open driving or driving of other cars on your own policy because it was already there! My camper is me and named driver only AFAIK. I have 4 policies, 1 classic, 1 scooter, 1 car and 1 camper, why can't I get 1 policy? That's why I believe it's very restrictive here and in UK. It appears to me, that we have a situation where its the person is insured whereas in Europe it's the vehicle. Anybody else got views on this?

Advertisement