Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Runners Dream of Electric Legs?

• 09-06-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Here I go with this log and hopefully it will help to motivate me and keep me going!

I'm male and late thirties and on my bucket list is to do a Marathon.I do like running and especially like the open air.Not a fan of being inside on a treadmill although I have used them in the past.I am not a quick runner when compared to regular runners but when I played sport, I was very quick over 10 yards kind of thing. I was more of a short sprinter!!

I have completed a half marathon a few years ago in around 2 hours 13 mins where I had a calf injury but glad I finished it. I would say without injury I might have knocked off 10 mins maybe. Not very fast but fast for me! I have done the Ballycotton 10 twice as well but need to get back to regular training.

Family issues made me stop running and even though I was always wanting to get back into it circumstances came up.You know how it goes.I find running theraputic so I decided to draw a line in the sand and just begin again as I missed it. I haven't ran since the start of the year.Its weird as I have always found that I end up with more energy after I go running probably due to those endorphins!

The first main goal this year is a Half Marathon again. If that goes well then hopefully a full marathon afterward.For the half, I would like to just beat my previous time and for the full one, the goal would be to complete it and not have to stop.Though when I did the half marthathon I would walk while at the drinks station but that doesnt count! I mean stopping running having to recover other than the drinks stations.

Obviously feel free to chime in with any thoughts throughout this log or just read along!

This thread title is taken from Philip K Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in case you are wondering! One of my favourite books! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Monday 8th June

I went for a 3 mile jog to stretch things out. I didn't keep track of the time as it was quite literally a fun run! In future I will be of course.

Tuesday 9th June

Took tonight off as I was a bit stiff.I did do some stretching though to ease out the muscles.

Weekly Total : 3 Miles
    Monthly Total : 3 Miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Good luck with the log.

I wouldn't worry too much about times at this stage. Just get the miles in and try to stay injury free. Slow down if you need to. Eventually you might find yourself going a little faster without really planning for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great title for the log. Very existential

Thanks for the advice and kind words guys!

Thursday 11th June

So after 2 rest days I got back running tonight. I just wanted to do 3 miles easy as its still my first week properly training again.The surface I was running on was a lot flatter than my monday run and it was a perfect evening for it.I like having 2 areas to go running as one has gradients and the other does not.

I did my 3 miles then stretched out after it again. Years ago I never bothered much with stretching but now I always do it. Especially after a run I find it really helps to ease the muscles out.

I walked here and there when the mood took me and was just doing a relaxed jog throughout except near the end where I did 2 sprints just to stretch out the legs.

It ended up 3 miles done and took 34.25 so the pace was 11.22/Mi

Weekly Total : 6 Miles
    Monthly Total : 6 Miles

• Advertisement

Saturday 13 June

Today was a lovely day for a run! It was warm but there was a nice breeze every so often so it was a lovely experience! It would be nice if every day was like this one.

I did a Crossfit class then did a 3 Mile Easy run after it. I find starting my runs the hardest parts. All I want to do is top and go home!! :) Once I get going I am fine though!

I have just realised I forgot to mention that I am following Hansons program.No, not the band that plays Hmm Bop! I have this book and am just going to follow the plan and see what happens! When I did the half marathon a few years ago, I was just winging it and just did a few 6 and 7 milers beforehand.Not much prep but I was happy with my finishing time of 2hrs 13m. It was just the day and me being stubborn that got me through to the end! This time I hope to have proper preparation and see what happens!

So today called for an easy 3 miles so thats what I did.The buzz of running is truely back so thats great.I did the usual stretching right after it and when I got home I did my usual Hot/cold shower. This is where I alternate between hot and cold water to help recovery. I'm sure loads of ye probably do it too.I have found it really helps my muscles and feel great after it. See here if you want to know more.

I did 3.1 miles in 37mins with 11.39/mi

Weekly Total : 9.1 Miles
    Monthly Total : 9.1 Miles

Tuesday 16 June

I was surprised that the plan I am following called for Monday off and just 2 miles tonight. It seemed very low and I thought about doing more but decided to just do what it says! It said to do 2 miles easy and I made a mistake of leaving the run until later than I normally would. This was due to me thinking it was too easy so I ended up having dinner late and remembering that I still had the run to do.I realised that it was either do it or skip it.

I didn't want to skip it and off I went.I felt very heavy from having had a meal so soon previously. Obviously we all know there should be a big gap between a big meal and runs.I went on a slightly hilly route and hoped to just get the run over to get it done and dusted.

I did 2 miles in 23 mins with 11.18/mi

I think I was a bit faster than that as my GPS seemed to be acting up a bit at the start but I am glad I did the run even though I felt very heavy throughout it.In a weird way I like these kind of runs as it prepares me in case I have a dodgy stomach or something going wrong on the day of a race. Its the discipline of just completing the run which is good overall!!

Weekly Total : 2 Miles
    Monthly Total : 11.1 Miles

Thursday 18 June

Having Wednesday off, I was back at it tonight.I did a Crossfit class and then went for a 3 mile run. I felt very good tonight and started off just running how I felt. It was meant to be 3 mile easy and I know thats probably a certain time compared to goal pace but I wanted to just run away as I felt fresh.

I was planning to just run a good while and then check my watch for distance and time etc but the battery ran out! Before it conked out I saw I was doing around 10.30 p/mi which was surprising as I was just jogging along and wasnt trying to go quicker than normal.I feel like I am getting used to running again which is good.

The program definitely suits me as it feels fine so far and the milage gradually goes up.When I ran a few years ago, I tried to follow programs but ended up falling behind straight away and then ended up just going for a long run on the weekend before the half marathon.Not great at all!

Days like tonight are great as the weather was perfect. Nice and warm but a breeze to cool you down now and again. Its great to be outside getting fresh air so maybe not having an exact time was good for this night!

Weekly Total : 5 Miles
    Monthly Total : 14.1 Miles

Saturday 20 June

Today I did another Crossfit class and straight after it I went for a 3 mile run.My GPS was fully charged this time! :D It was boiling hot when I ran so it was very testing.Starting off was very hard until I got into my rhythm. I might just be the opposite of Superman as he does better in the sun whereas I prefer the rain! I love to run in the rain. Not sure why!

Annoyingly after I got home, it seemed to get a lot cooler but thats the way it goes.I finished quite strong which surprised me and felt like doing more but I said "Stick to the plan" in my head. This was probably just the buzz of doing the 3 miles.

I did 3 miles in 36 mins.

Weekly Total : 8 Miles
    Monthly Total : 17.1 Miles

Sunday 21 June

Yet again it was another very hot day but I felt very good before I went out running. The legs felt very fresh and ready to go so off I went as usual.I decided to go a bit faster today as I felt great and just wanted to see how I would get on. Its the end of my second week of proper training and wanted to see my progress as well. I wasn't killing myself at all. It was more like I had "pep in my step" for some reason!

What gave me a big lift also was seeing Robert Heffernan out doing his training too and I said hello and gave a thumbs up and he gave me one back.Theres nothing like seeing an Olympic level athlete to motivate me on my little runs! He was flying it.He walks unbelievably quick when you see him up close.

Unfortunately I had to give him a card for lifting up his feet so things got a bit awkward........eek.png

Well no, not the last bit biggrin.png

Today I had to do 4 miles which was the first one after all the 3 miles.My legs felt very strong and especially after seeing Rob, I trundled along nicely.

I did 4 Miles in 42 mins so its 10.21/mi
    snailsong wrote: »
    Eventually you might find yourself going a little faster without really planning for it.

Snailsongs wise words really came into play today. I was just running how I felt and wasnt trying to go that quick and I could have even gone a bit faster if I wanted to, so today was a very good day.A good end to the first 2 weeks of proper running!

Weekly Total : 12 Miles
    Monthly Total : 21.1 Miles

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23 June

I was happy the plan called for a day off yesterday as I was tired so its really going perfectly for me so far.I felt better today although I had to work on longer than I expected and was worried I might end up too tired to go on the run.

Needless to say I went off running before I had the chance to stay on the couch! It was a rough start but I got into my stride and then was fine again.It was a different area to run in as I want to keep changing the scenery so I don't get bored.

There were quite a few people out running as well as it was a perfect night. Not as hot as recently and a bit of a breeze again.This third week the milage goes up by 1 as its mostly 4 miles whereas last week was just usually 2/3 miles.

I did 4.1 Miles in 42 mins with 10.20/Mi

This was exactly the same time as sunday so i am happy with that!

Weekly Total : 4.1 Miles
    Monthly Total : 25.2 Miles

Thursday 25 June

After the day off yesterday I was back at it tonight! I did a Crossfit class that focused on the legs so I wasn't sure how I would do with my run.It was a nice night again and off I went. There were a few runners out as well.There was one woman cruising along and another guy jogging with his dog. Then there was a guy who was flying around who looked like he could run to mars and back no problem!

A truck stopped and the driver asked me for directions to somewhere I had never heard of and then looked annoyed at me when I said I had no idea! Thats what being a good samaritan does for you!

I ran up a quiet road and then lo and behold around the corner were 2 guards.One male and one female. He had a speed gun trying to catch people.Really sneaky as he was pointing over a hedge.I was chuckling at the deviousness of this and the female guard was going red with embarassment. They looked silly hiding behind a hedge. They didnt expect anyone on foot around there.Tax money at work folks...

The plan called for 4 miles tonight and I am not sure why but I did 4.5 miles.Shouldn't really have done that but just ran a bit extra as I felt good. Starting off is always the worst for me but I am fine once I get in the groove.

I did 4.5 miles in 50 mins with 11.00/mi

Weekly Total : 8.6 Miles
    Monthly Total : 29.7 Miles

Friday 26 June

I was very tired tonight before heading out on the run so I thought it wouldn't be a good night! For a few secs I had even thought about skipping it but I said no, I must do it!

I started off thinking maybe I would rest after a while but then somehow I got into my stride and it ended up being a great run.For the runs in the past few weeks I have had to stop running and walk here and there. Not many but it has been getting less and less.

Tonight I am very happy to say I ran for the full 4 miles and can really feel the improvement.The big problem I have is going out too fast at first (like all newbies do!) I tried to keep a steady pace throughout and it worked out great for me.The habit of speeding up at the start has got to go!

At the end, I wanted to keep on running but I stopped on 4 miles as I don't want to push my luck.I have no injuries as I am going along nicely upping the milage by a bit each week. When I ran a few years ago, I just ran twice a week doing one long run at the weekend. I ended up having problems with my ITB band and calf muscles from doing too much too soon.Now I feel much better and I am doing more running more often!

So I did 4 miles in 41.40 with 10.17/mi

This had no stops and I feel much better running now. I feel like I even breathe better when I run and just want to keep building it up

Weekly Total : 12.6 Miles
    Monthly Total : 33.7 Miles

Advertisement