Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sinclair method

Options
  • 09-06-2015 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭

Following reading something about this in After hours and seen it mentioned around the net,just wondered has anybody tried it? Ive done a bit of reading about and it does sound like it could very possibly work,it also boasts an 80% success rate,it basically with the aid of naltrexone(a cheap generic drug) blocks the reward signal in the brain every time alcohol is consumed,eventually the brain unlearns the craving and most people find they have no desire to drink,now I'm not looking for medical advice ,I've been abstinent a good while I'm just throwing this out there as maybe another possibility for someone who has tried all other avenues and failed in their bid to give up the booze.

https://royeskapa.wordpress.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

Hey.... Yea I've tried it.

Bit of background. I'm an alcoholic. Mids 30s. Been off the sauce for two years now. Over the years tried everything, rehab, meetings .....and naltrexone. Actually I read about it on here and though that was going to solve everything.... it didn't.

The science sounds great and now its actually being prescribed on the NHS to try to get people to cut down.

I read all about it, forums, even bought Sinclair's books. I was living in Spain so could buy it over the counter. I started dropping the pill before drinking and it worked initially... Beer and wine was my poison. I would have one maybe two beers and just feel full...and stop. I was cured!!

I actually did an experiment one weekend. I bout a case of beer... 24 cans.. On the friay night I dropped the pill and cracked a beer... Halfway through the second can I just poured it out and went to bed.... On the Saturday night I didn't drop the pill and ended up knocking back the rest of the 22 cans... The whole lot. Stayed up all night... on my own.... as I said I am a proper dipso..

So anyway I though this was great. I could take it tactically. Every time I had something important on I would drop a pill and behave and when I wanted to let loose I would skip the pill and drink until my head caved in...

As time went on I found I still couldn't drink beer when on the naltrexone but for some reason it didn't seem to work so well with wine.... so... I found myself drinking wine more often... then only wine... then even after taking the pill I was getting **** faced on wine....

To cut a long story short.. I am an alcoholic... and I will always find a way to get wasted.. pill or no pill...

I stayed on it for about year... honestly I went from blacking out a couple of times a week to maybe once every six moths... So it does work to an extent... but I wanted to get drunk.. so I found myself justifying reasons for not taking it.... after awhile I just stopped taking altogether and was back on the piss proper.

I had to quit quit.... which I did two years ago. No pills no booze...

It wasn't/isn't easy but I have done it so far...

Unfortunately if your an alcoholic your mind will find a way to justify getting smashed...

The Sinclair method/Naltrexone sounds to be good to be true.... and unfortunately for me it was...

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

sounds like you were cheating,ill go out and get hammered for old times sake and then dash back to the other side lol from the bit I've read the golden rule seems to be to take it one hour before you drink and eventually over time it reworks the reward part of drinking in your brain ie the craving I've seen it described as slowing down the train enough that you can jump off,but sure if it works for some it works,any avenue to long term sobriety has to be a good thing.

Advertisement