Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you call home

Options
  • 09-06-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

My mobile phone plan is about to expire. I have stuck with Vodafone for years because I can call Ireland off the plan. I generally use about 150 minutes/month on calls. The thing is I am getting sick of the poor coverage by Vodafone. I travel to remote areas for about 1 week/month so would be better off using Telstra as they are the only ones that have coverage out here. Unfortunately they don't have an international calls pack.

How do other people call home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Use data rather than minutes for your calls. It's generally more cost effective. I've used all the below with varying degrees of success:
    google hangouts
    viber
    facetime

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

Cheers doesn't work for me as my parents are in an area where the internet is so slow that none of these work. If you try all it sounds like is bells ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Do you have to use your mobile? I presume that's the issue as using a home phone/landlines there are some pretty good deals for international calls to be had but maybe that doesn't work for you.
    If all else fails what about the prepaid Telstra call cards?
    When I moved remote originally I was with Optus and like yourself couldn't get service but if you can get hold a landline at all (office phone or camp phone?) you just dial the appropriate number on the card (local call) and away you go. Do that for "planned calls" and keep the mobile for "emergency" calls home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

observed wrote: »
    Cheers doesn't work for me as my parents are in an area where the internet is so slow that none of these work. If you try all it sounds like is bells ringing.

Viber and Skype can be used to call regular landlines and mobiles. I use Amaysim. They are on the optus so coverage is good in most areas and I get unlimited calls and texts with 5 gigs of data for $45 a month with no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Same as mine. If you log on to the skype website and click on Skype to go.

You can then assign an Australian Number to your parents landline Number or mobile number.

Works out as 3c per min for landline and 9c for mobile.
    Parents dont use net either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i know you are talking mobile but with my telstra landline, i have an international bolt on for $10pm. can call irish and UK landlines for free, have to pay for mobile. many international mobiles are free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I used skype to ring irish landlines and mobiles. Very handy when traveling in South america and SE asia, just find a strong wifi and ring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

Thanks guys. The last time I tried Skype was years ago and I don't think it was that easy to call numbers at home off your mobile. Might give it a go.
    On another note can you use Skype on multiple phones (I have a work phone that has coverage in these areas so may be able to use Amaysim or similar for my private if I can the same account on both phones). Is it an account or is it locked to a specific phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks guys. The last time I tried Skype was years ago and I don't think it was that easy to call numbers at home off your mobile. Might give it a go.
    On another note can you use Skype on multiple phones (I have a work phone that has coverage in these areas so may be able to use Amaysim or similar for my private if I can the same account on both phones). Is it an account or is it locked to a specific phone.

No Skype is not locked to a specific phone. You set up a Skype account and you can log in from a phone, laptop, tablet, smart tv or most other devices that connect to the internet.
    You don't have to call Skype to Skype. You can call any landline or mobile using Skype once you have Skype credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I usually just use facetime or skype to make video calls.
    If I ever need to make voice calls. I just ring from my mobile. It cost me nothing as it comes out of my $550/month calls allowance from vodafone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement