Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 5S just took a soapy swim

• 10-06-2015 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,866 ✭✭✭✭

about 5 minutes into a wash I realized I did not know where my phone was. So of course it was in the washing machine.

its currently in rice, and Ive had to roll back services to my 4S. Ew. It's 3G, tiny(er) and heavier. I didn't want to have to upgrade..

Is there anything else I ought to be doing to recover the 5s? detergent and tap water/wash water are involved, does it need to be soaked in isopropyl alcohol? will I have to dismantle it? What a chore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

5 minutes is a long time to be in there...you'll be lucky if it powers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lazybear

As awful as that sounds I had my brand new and much anticipated 4s (going back a couple of hrs now!) in the washing machine for 35 mins. When I realised it was in there I panicked, got it out and found that it was still powered on but as I started to check it it out the poor thing died in my hands:(

As you have done I put my 4s in a large tub of warm rice (uncooked of course) and very much to my surprise it came back to life a few days later. The screen looked as though it had been shattered but little by little all the markings disappeared. I still have the 4s to this day and it has never given me any water related problems since. The volume buttons now stick but given what I did to the phone I am more than happy with how things turned out.

I know what happened to me with my phone is a rare thing indeed but you may be lucky, just give the rice time to do its magic, you never know. But then the 4s may be a more robust construction than new versions.

Good luck, Lazybear

Advertisement