Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build for €300. Would like to play new games @50-60fps, ~medium settings

Options
  • 10-06-2015 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€300]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. GTA, Witcher, etc. High FPS but don't mind to lower settings to minimum of medium to achieve high FPS.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Maybe a case

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Whichever

9. When are you purchasing? Whenever

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No

Basically, my main question here is, is it possible to build such a PC for 300?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Second hand i3 €50
    4gb RAM €30
    Zalman T4 €20
    Second hand 750Ti €100
    Second hand 300w PSU €30
    ASRock H61M VG4 €40
    €30 on a hard drive
    €320 delivered

Second hand parts are by Cex at ie.webuy.com and adverts.ie and new are from hardwareversand.

I can't see anymore corners to cut bar getting a donated HDD or reusing a case. This is actually going to be playable, can't say its worth cheaping out on literally everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably good to note that a build like this will run Witcher3. But not particularly well. Probably looking at lowering the resolution (900 or 720p) and/or playing on low/medium graphics (i.e. you'll be playing the seesaw of res vs quality). People will shill the "but it plays BF4 on ultra" for the 750Ti but the witcher is a good bit more demanding. To keep the framerates up above 30/60 you'll be sacrificing a bit. Might be worth holding off a bit, save up and get the budget up if this isn't a must have right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

1tb sata HDD is only 20 with CEX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The second hand i3 from CEX would the 2nd gen though, which isn't great, you'd probably be better off buying a socket 1150 motherboard and getting something like a G3220 with a mind to upgrading to a 'proper' i3 or i5 when funds allow.

Not possible build a new machine on that budget to do what you've asked to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah I'd have recommended off the 1155 socket but u was trying to cram as much power into it as I could.

I'd recommend saving up to 400-500 for a better machine you can have more upgrading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've found that most games these days tend not to be optimised very well for lower graphics so even if you set everything to junk-quality you'll still struggle to get a good fps if you struggled at higher quality.

Not like back in the day where you could go from 99fps to 10fps on Counterstrike depending on your settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Thanks everyone. It was a friend who asked so I will let her know of all your suggestions and comments.

Thank you very much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The days of low quality settings increasing framerate dramatically are gone tbh. The configuration space for a modern game is so much higher than for something like counterstrike 1.6/half-life. For example you can't get away with lowering the polygon count as dramatically without creating artifacts literally everywhere in something like the witcher3. Everything is so much more complex that it's a decent effort on behalf of the developers to get it running at the minimum spec.

Advertisement