Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to get flights home for Christmas

Options
  • 10-06-2015 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests - looking to fly from Sydney to Dublin for Christmas for the first time since moving here. Currently looking on Skyscanner and return flights seem to be around 1800.

Given that people here have probably done this trip a few times, in your collective experience, when is the cheapest time to book these flights? Are they likely to go down at all in the next few months or is it a case of booking as early as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Cheapest time was about a month ago.

Grab 1800 with both hands and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I've actually got two tickets flying from Sydney to Dublin on the 21st of December with Qantas.
    We can't use them now due to work commitments.
    Is it possible to change the passenger names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

is it that time of the year again....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

They will not go down!! $1800 is a steal, from my own experience, my cheapest ever return has been 2100 (lets not get into the most expensive).

Simply....these flights sell. They have no need to put down prices for fear of empty seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

fry back to aus on 30/31 of december , will save quite alot . we got flights with etihad for 1350aud from brisbane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

$1800 is a steal!
    I'm paying $2500 to fly home this week (booked in April) as it is start of the 2 week school holidays here. Tied to dates for weddings/events so just had to suck it up. Flights last July/August cost $2000.

Only have flown once at Christmas, booked in August and paid $2200 or so, but it was with China Southern/Air France. Wouldn't recommend them. 7 hour stopover in the worst airport in the world Guangzhou, food was horrendous, extra stop to get home.

My vote is Etihad all the way, gave Emirates a go last year and I still rate Etihad the best.

This time I'm doing Sydney - Bali - Amsterdam - Dublin, (stopping in Bali for a few days); Dublin - Amsterdam - Kuala Lumper - Sydney
    Will see how I go with KLM this time, the AMS - KL flight is with Malaysian, hopefully I'll make it to tell the tale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Christmas day can be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

5 of us flew home last Christmas, we flew on Christmas day, it was $11,000 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

$1800 Return if so grab it or I will! Mates of mine have paid close to $3000 I personally paid $2200 the last Christmas I went home

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

paid 3k last year, that was Emirates with one stop could have got two stops for 2600 but that extra flight and getting off in London or Amsterdam does the damage for jet lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Where you all buying your flights from? All seem very dear. I flew with klm in 2013 for 1300 return and flew Etihad last year for 1350 return in October. I booked this years flight for 700 one way..

Interesting if you get a cheap flight to Bangkok and from there to Norway on Norwegian air for only $300...if your not tied to dates and want to stay a few days in different countries if you want, I could of flew 1 way from perth-Bangkok-Oslo-Dublin for $550��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Just use the software that the travel agents use:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Not you can only search airfares, but it will give you an idea of the best available price. Then go and book a ticket with the airline with the best price. You can also search business class seats with this website. Sometimes there is only a couple of hundred dollars difference between an economy and business class seat. Its pretty nifty.

Advertisement