Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Aussie Iphone 6's or 5's to Ireland to use permanently on Irish Networks.

Options
  • 10-06-2015 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hi guys, anybody done this recently? I'm not 100% up on what's possible or not when moving/using phones between here and Ireland.

Basically myself and OH have 2 Aussie Iphone 4's, out of contract and unlocked by Telstra and are moving home for a while shortly.
    We still have Irish pay as you go mobiles which work fine but the phones are quite old and the Sim cards don't fit in the Iphone 4's so when in Ireland on holidays in past we just used our Irish phones and never really fiddled around with the Aussie phones.

Original plan on arrival home was to try to get new Sim cards and pop into the phones we have, however....an opportunity has come up, through a loyalty scheme, to basically pick up 2 brand new 6's or 5's for pretty much free. (Actually we're just burning up airmiles that we've accumulated and no longer need.)
    Problem is it's more or less an automated service so I can't actually ask anybody on the supplier side any questions.

Was wondering if it was as simple as taking the new phones home to Ireland and picking up new Sims...?
    Would these, presumably unlocked phones (?) work on Irish networks? I remember hearing when Iphones came out first in the states people returning from holidays there with shiny new phones couldn't get them to work in Ireland.

Would I be mad to burn all my "miles" on new phones that may or may not work in Ireland? Anybody any experience or thoughts?
    1st world problems I know.....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Mine works fine in AU and Ireland on both vodafone networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Batgurl wrote: »
    Mine works fine in AU and Ireland on both vodafone networks.

Thanks batgurl, were you roaming or did you actually swap out your Aussie Vodafone SIM card to an Irish SIM?
    We were thinking of getting Vodafone sim only package at home so that sounds promising...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Swap them over any time I'm home.

Just make sure they are network unlocked in AU. Vodafone did it for me in store. I told the guy I wouldn't go through with the contract (after taking an hour of his time) unless he unlocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Batgurl wrote: »
    Swap them over any time I'm home.

Just make sure they are network unlocked in AU. Vodafone did it for me in store. I told the guy I wouldn't go through with the contract (after taking an hour of his time) unless he unlocked it.

Thanks, that's my problem, I assume as I'm getting the phone from a third party and not a phone service provider that they are automatically unlocked to allow people to use with any network.
    Good move on the contract and unlocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Most providers will unlock for you; especially if you tell them you are going overseas and need to put a local SIM in to avoid roaming charges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement