Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy car insurance quote!:No claims bonus no longer valid after being abroad.

Options
  • 10-06-2015 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've just returned to Ireland after being out of the country since end of 2012. My last insurance in Ireland was Euro290 third party/F&T on a 2000 car. I am now being quoted aprox. 5 times that amount for the same car! Full NCB(2012), 45 years old, Full Irish licence since 1988, no accidents/claims, no penalty points. Where can I get a 'fair quote'? or does such a thing exist in this country any more!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How many insurance companies have you contacted?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your NCB is only valid for two years, so you have no NCB.

If you were insured abroad, the insurance company may recognise no-claims years from a foreign insurer.

The two things killing you are the lack of no-claims and the 15 year old car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

seamus wrote: »
    Your NCB is only valid for two years, so you have no NCB.

If you were insured abroad, the insurance company may recognise no-claims years from a foreign insurer.

The two things killing you are the lack of no-claims and the 15 year old car.
    As above your former ncb is no longer valid

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

I've contacted 2 companies and received a couple of online quotes. Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

ancuisle wrote: »
    I've contacted 2 companies and received a couple of online quotes. Thanks for your replies!

Have a look at the Motors forum.
    Opinion seems to be that if you are "unusual" that calling them is better than the online. There are also brokers that can help with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ancuisle

Sound advice Sheldons Brain! Thanks!

Advertisement