Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Licence Exchange

• 10-06-2015 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

After a few years in the UK I'm thinking it is maybe time to get my Irish driving licence switched over to a UK one. It seems as though quite a few people who use this forum have been through the process. I wonder if anyone who has done it could answer a couple of specific questions that I can't seem to get a definite answer to:

Firstly, I passed my driving test in Ireland back in 2000. When my new UK licence arrives will it reference that I have been a licence holder for 15 years or will I appear to be a newly licenced driver to someone who checks the licence? This would make a difference when hiring a car abroad, it is cheaper and easier if I can show that I'm an experienced driver.

Also, do I really need to send off my passport to them? I fly out of the UK to Ireland and elsewhere very regularly and would struggle to find a window of more than a couple of weeks where I don't need it. Anyone know if there is any way around this requirement (or if it is actually, definitely a requirement)?

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

After a few years in the UK I'm thinking it is maybe time to get my Irish driving licence switched over to a UK one. It seems as though quite a few people who use this forum have been through the process. I wonder if anyone who has done it could answer a couple of specific questions that I can't seem to get a definite answer to:

Firstly, I passed my driving test in Ireland back in 2000. When my new UK licence arrives will it reference that I have been a licence holder for 15 years or will I appear to be a newly licenced driver to someone who checks the licence? This would make a difference when hiring a car abroad, it is cheaper and easier if I can show that I'm an experienced driver.

Also, do I really need to send off my passport to them? I fly out of the UK to Ireland and elsewhere very regularly and would struggle to find a window of more than a couple of weeks where I don't need it. Anyone know if there is any way around this requirement (or if it is actually, definitely a requirement)?

1. Yes, the original start date of your Irish license is printed on the back of your UK photocard.

2. It is definitely a requirement - the only way I could think you'd get around it would be making an appointment at DVLA head office in Swansea, as all local offices closed down at the end of 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

I think they are quite strict about this but when I was applying they said that I could send a copy of flight details and a certified copy of my passport into them and that might be okay but he couldn't guarantee it.

In the end it was too much hassle for me to find someone to certify it so I just sent it away with a little note saying it was my only form of identification and I was travelling in two weeks time and included a SAE (recorded delivery). They sent it back really quickly, I sent the application on the Monday and got my passport back on the Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Thanks for the replies - I may need to put this off for a few months then, I can't manage without my passport for any significant length of time right now due to travel commitments. I'd spend the whole time worrying that it wouldn't come back in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I sent mine off three weeks ago and nothing. Called them yesterday and they've opened an "investigation" to see what's going on. Total pain in the arse. Not sure if there's some sort of backlog at the moment but if my experience is anything to go by, don't expect a fast turnaround. I'll update next Monday after I call them to follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Thanks breadmonkey. I have two and a half weeks before my next trip and was thinking of chancing it but it now sounds like a terrible idea after your post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Update: having launched this investigation a week ago they still hadn't done anything when I called them this morning (or so they said) . Then I arrived home just now to an envelope containing my passport and application form with a letter telling me that I failed to include my Irish driving licence.it was DEFINITELY in the envelope. Sounds like these ass hats left my stuff lying around for weeks and then lost my licence. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seeorr

That's pretty damn annoying.

I misplaced my own Irish DL somewhere, so I'm requesting a letter of entitlement from the NDLS which will cost 15 EUR. I am hoping that I can get the UK license and apply for a provisional at the same time, to save me having to send another application and fee in.

Advertisement