Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.d

Options
  • 10-06-2015 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Helping a friend trying to join eircom last night and she was surprised the form asked for her driving license or passport number. This made her uncomfortable and she abandoned the order until she is sure its secure.

How are either of these numbers checked as she finds it hard to believe eircom have access to passport details and stored?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

piperh wrote: »
    Helping a friend trying to join eircom last night and she was surprised the form asked for her driving license or passport number. This made her uncomfortable and she abandoned the order until she is sure its secure.  

How are  either of these numbers checked as she finds it hard to believe eircom have access to passport details and stored?
    Hi piperh

This is ultimately a security requirement and I can confirm that this would be industry standard.

A passport or divers license number is required to serve as proof of ID so when a device is delivered to your home  the courier is sure that it's being sent to the correct person.

If this was not in place it would be quite easy for fraudulent activity - ordering in another persons name for example.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Hi piperh

This is ultimately a security requirement and I can confirm that this would be industry standard.

A passport or divers license number is required to serve as proof of ID so when a device is delivered to your home  the courier is sure that it's being sent to the correct person.

If this was not in place it would be quite easy for fraudulent activity - ordering in another persons name for example.

Thanks
    Al

Thank you. So does this mean the driver would also have a copy of her details as well? I understand the need to ensure items are not ordered in anothers name but this seems a little strange.

How does eircom keep these details secure if the driver/courier has access to
    them? Do eircom check the numbers match the name and again how? I'm sorry if this seems s little picky but personal details like those should be protected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

piperh wrote: »
    Hi piperh

Thanks
    Al

Thank you. So does this mean the driver would also have a copy of her details as well? I understand the need to ensure items are not ordered in anothers name but this seems a little strange.

How does eircom keep these details secure if the driver/courier has access to
    them? Do eircom check the numbers match the name and again how? I'm sorry if this seems s little picky but personal details like those should be protected
    Hi piperh

I do understand your concern however I would like to assure you this is in compliance with the relevant data protection acts and in safely within consumer standards. It would not just be eircom to request such material - this is industry practice with mostly all other providers throughout the world.

I will be offer you the finer details of such processes but for example the courier would have a reference to the your identity -  you are not required to hand your passport over at any time. If you have concerns on this the best advice I can offer is to contact the commision for communication regulation (comreg) on 1890229668.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement