Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Plight of the Rohingya

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Nodin wrote: »
    No, you used this issue as a soapbox, tried to tar all muslims with the same brush etc. Shameful, really.

You can't counter the arguments I made (because I'm right) so you whinge and make personal attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

So is the flotilla on the way yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

So is the flotilla on the way yet?

There really is no point to that other than you want to do it. It's very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

Nope, I'm simply exposing the glaring hypocrisy of the Irish Left. Where are the marches down O'Connell St for the Rohingya? Where are the daily news reports? Where is the boycott campaign? A true humanitarian would care about all suffering peoples. The Rohingya don't have the impressive propaganda machine that the Pallys have. Even then, the Irish care don't about the Palestinians unless they can rail against the Jews.

Egypt closes border crossings with Gaza = whatever
    Israel closes border crossings with Gaza = let's fight the Gardai and burn Israeli flags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Nope, I'm simply exposing the glaring hypocrisy of the Irish Left. Where are the marches down O'Connell St for the Rohingya? Where are the daily news reports? Where is the boycott campaign

The Left have a strict hierarchy of victims that is based on who is being persecuted and who is doing the persecution.

As regards position in this unspoken hierarchy The Rohinga have being Muslim their favour (otherwise we'd not have heard of them at all) but aren't being persecuted by white men or, better again, Jews so they get scant mention in comparison to the Palestinians who meet every criteria and are, therefore, the apex victims of the Left.

Persecuted groups that do not even register on this hierarchy include Syrian Christians, white African farmers, Coptic Christians and the Jews of Europe and the Middle East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Nope, I'm simply exposing the glaring hypocrisy of the Irish Left. Where are the marches down O'Connell St for the Rohingya? Where are the daily news reports? Where is the boycott campaign? A true humanitarian would care about all suffering peoples. The Rohingya don't have the impressive propaganda machine that the Pallys have. Even then, the Irish care don't about the Palestinians unless they can rail against the Jews.

Egypt closes border crossings with Gaza = whatever
    Israel closes border crossings with Gaza = let's fight the Gardai and burn Israeli flags

Your argument is a fallacy. You are saying because one cannot do everything one should do nothing. That is like saying if someone on a diet takes a little cream in their coffee that they may as well eat ten pizzas.

You are dressing a nasty remark up as a political statement when it had nothing to do with what you are arguing. You then want to get away with it by suggesting because we cannot cure every tragic situation in the world that we should not try to do anything or that we are somehow not entitled to try.

That is fake. That is the fakeness and fallacy in the world. It's the teen angst and hamlet character. Just because the world is imperfect and will always be imperfect does not mean you should do nothing.

A true humanitarian, is human. If the bar is raised so high that no human can can reach that is a rather convenient excuse to live in a darker world.

It's like saying you have no right to complain if someone sh*ts on your table in the living room because although your house is very tidy the attic is a mess. That means you are a fake and your house is fake. And it takes the attention away briefly from the person who took a sh*t on the table. They are being 'real'. When in reality they just want to be able to do whatever they want with impunity.

Those who hold very austere views ( I am NOT saying you personally I don't know you) or say nasty things all day every day cannot hide behind the fact that the world is imperfect and people are imperfect. They cannot point to the one slip up by an otherwise good person or political figure and say 'SEE', that gives me license to do whatever I want I am just being real. You cannot say because people who care cannot do everything that they should do nothing.

It's not hierarchy it's doing what you can. And yes you have to choose. I can't give all my money to charity. I can only give little bits. And I can't give to every charity either. Sometimes in life you have to make difficult decisions even selfish ones. That does not give you license to be a total jerk or not do anything. Because you can't run everyday does not mean you can't take a walk.

You have identified a hole in the media on this issue. So I think if you have no other charitable commitments you might consider soap boxing the issue yourself. Be the change you wish to see in the world. And yes you will fail...a lot. That's human. You can forgive yourself for not being perfect without giving up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Easy, let's ask Israel how they'd feel about welcoming the Rohingya to help them escape persecution. History has shown how well it works when persecuted societies are being handed a safe haven. It would be interesting to see how that would work

Advertisement