Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Golf Club in €100m development proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Not sure greystones infrastructure can handle such huge development, the roads are already pretty choked at peak times.
    And the new schools will only just cater for the population greystones already has, an extra 127 acres worth of residents would take a lot of extra services. Seems mad.
    I'd be interested to know where this new course is proposed to go, seems a bit mad to have a club between Delgany and glen of the downs courses, but I'm assuming lands have already been aquired by the developer in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Believe it's the same lands offered to Charlesland a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

StopWatch wrote: »
    Not sure greystones infrastructure can handle such huge development, the roads are already pretty choked at peak times.
    And the new schools will only just cater for the population greystones already has, an extra 127 acres worth of residents would take a lot of extra services. Seems mad.
    I'd be interested to know where this new course is proposed to go, seems a bit mad to have a club between Delgany and glen of the downs courses, but I'm assuming lands have already been aquired by the developer in that area.

The county development plan has the population of Greystones increasing from ~17000 at the last census (2011) to 24000 by the 2020s. Is it preferable to have that extra housing on the outskirts of the town (most likely in Charlesland and areas along the planned Blacklion-Delgany road) or on the Golf Club land? If rumours are to be believed Charlesland Golf club is also likely to be developed in the next few years.

Any proposal would have to be approved by the members, I don't know what the feeling is in the club, but the course they have is short by modern standards, and the younger members are probably less likely to be living close to the course so moving to Delgany might not be such a big deal.

(incidentally when I was looking this up, I note that the previous development plan had the planned 2016 population as 21000 which is unlikely as there's been very little building since the last census).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

After the harbour fiasco and now this I can't help but hum "the town that I loved so well"

I'd replace town with village.

Anyhow, does anyone know what the ggc voting situation is on selling up. That is, what % need to vote in favour? The members could be in for quite a windfall to vote it in.

This isn't new

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/members-to-get-100000-each-in-80m-city-golf-club-buyout-26319607.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/clontarf-gc-members-agree-to-sell-course-1.987359

FirstIn wrote: »
    This isn't new

Dun Laoghaire Golf Club is probably the best example - they also had a prime location. The developers built them a new 36-hole course near Enniskerry, a fancy clubhouse and paid them a wad of cash. Unfortunately I believe the members couldn't receive the cash directly for legal reasons.

Further expansion of the town is inevitable; people who grew up here in the 60s probably lamented the building of Hillside, Redford etc, and those whe grew up in the 80s complained about Charlesland (before buying a house there).

If they do go ahead with this though, a chunk of the course should be retained as a public park - preferably the area around the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can't see it ever happening myself

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭raler

loyatemu wrote: »
    The county development plan has the population of Greystones increasing from ~17000 at the last census (2011) to 24000 by the 2020s.

Where can one get their hands on this plan ?

raler wrote: »
    Where can one get their hands on this plan ?

Google?

the current one is here. There's a new one being prepared but the preliminary plan is also on WCC's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Seve OB wrote: »
    Can't see it ever happening myself

Hi Seve OB, Is there any enthusiasm among any of the members for this?

d2ww wrote: »
    Hi Seve OB, Is there any enthusiasm among any of the members for this?

i've just heard about it on the grapevine, nothing official, despite what the paper says.

i was led to believe there was a similar offer in the pipeline in the good aul days which would have lined all of our pockets. this was shot down before any real discussions, so cant really see this gaining any kind of momentum at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

You might want to re-poll your members Seve - I know at least 3 who think it's a great idea...
    They didn't go into details and at the time a few weeks ago I wasn't that inclined to push them on it.

Taltos wrote: »
    You might want to re-poll your members Seve - I know at least 3 who think it's a great idea...
    They didn't go into details and at the time a few weeks ago I wasn't that inclined to push them on it.

im not speaking on their behalf. i've no idea what any decision would be. its just my opinion that its a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

What % of members would need to vote for it to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

FirstIn wrote: »
    What % of members would need to vote for it to pass?

75% approval is required apparently.

pixbyjohn wrote:
    Is it time to get rid of this green belt?

I'm a bit skeptical about describing golf courses as "green belt" - they're private land reserved for those who can afford to join (not cheap in most cases). It's not like any Joe Soap can go for a stroll across the verdant acres.

The alternative could be Greystones continuing to expand towards Kilcoole or further up Bray Head - they're both green belt as well.

I'm a bit skeptical about describing golf courses as "green belt" - they're private land reserved for those who can afford to join (not cheap in most cases). It's not like any Joe Soap can go for a stroll across the verdant acres.

The alternative could be Greystones continuing to expand towards Kilcoole or further up Bray Head - they're both green belt as well.
    Maybe I should have titled it "Is it time to get rid of this view" but you know what I mean :)

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Maybe I should have titled it "Is it time to get rid of this view" but you know what I mean :)

What do you think? Should it be gotten rid of?

Seve OB wrote: »
    What do you think? Should it be gotten rid of?

I am very biased in my opinion on this, I would hate to see the golf links going away from this location. I would have no influence over any decision. Looking at the previous relocations by Bray & Dun Laoghaire golf clubs it appears that they were not great moves in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

On the other hand the place they propose to relocate the golf to sounds like it could be the forest between the Octagon and Ballydonagh Lane entrance to Bellevue Woods, which is privately owned but publicly accessible. I don't know where exactly is proposed, but thats just going from the newspaper description of lands between Delgany GC and Glen O Downs GC. So if they ever fence off that area it will make Bellevue Woods very small.

• Advertisement

Going back a few years there were plans for a golf course on the land opposite the entrance to Kindlestown woods but it never developed further.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/golf-club-development-given-the-green-light-27606251.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Exactly , that was on what is left of Bellvue estate, yard and lands..this plus the adjoining farm would mean plenty of room for a golf course without going anywhere near the forestry/woods.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Going back a few years there were plans for a golf course on the land opposite the entrance to Kindlestown woods but it never developed further.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/golf-club-development-given-the-green-light-27606251.html
    If its the same land, which is very likely, then its mostly farmland but also 50 acres of the forest.
    The new golf course at Bellevue, Delgany, is to be built on 195 acres of land, 150 of which are currently in agricultural use and the remainder of which are coniferous forestry plantation.
    So that's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coco888

It would be sad to see GCC move and I suspect this will all come to nothing. I dont think there's an appetite for this sort of switch these days. Likewise with Charlesland where the owners are investing a lot in the course and clubhouse. GCC have a great junior section because of the easy access to the course - hope it stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What are they proposing to build?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What are they proposing to build?

At least 1 Mc Donald's drive tru :D:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I have to say, I am finding it difficult to get worked up about this. Sure, its nice to look out our window and see the green of the golf course but I've never once set too on this "green belt" and most likely never would. If the houses are ever built, I might find that that tiny bit of green I can see from our house had a great impact on my daily life but I can't see it. However, if the traffic from the proposed estate exits on the kindlestown road at Tesco then it would have a negative impact. Apart from that, its a meh.

At one point Wicklow Co Co had plans for a "Killincarrig Bypass" that would have taken a slice off the western edge of the golf course to skirt around Burnaby Heights and Killincarrig, and emerge somewhere around where Aldi is now (it may have continued on from there in the Eden Gate direction, I can't remember).

If this development did go ahead, we might see that plan resurrected.

Also - someone was commenting about part of Glen of the Downs forest being felled to accomodate this proposal, I don't think this would be necessary. If you look at the attached map, there's loads of farmland between Delgany GC and GotD GC:

352138.png

Also - someone was commenting about part of Glen of the Downs forest being felled to accomodate this proposal, I don't think this would be necessary. If you look at the attached map, there's loads of farmland between Delgany GC and GotD GC:
    The thing is, the Coillte forest is only a strip 150-200m along the N11, on each side of the N11. On your map, there is a good chunk of forest to the east of the white line going towards the Ballydonagh Lane entrance which is in private ownership, and another chunk to the south of the line adjoining DGC.
    Either of these could be part of the "50 acres in forest" as mentioned in the older application for another golf course.
    Even if the forest became part of some new GGC course, the trees might not be felled. But they would be fenced off.
    At the moment you would not know on the ground whether you were in the Coillte part or the privately owned part.

There might be some right of way issues too, especially the path to the Ballydonagh Lane entrance. In Bray GC they sorted out a similar situation by creating a new totally fenced path up the head (from the roundabout at the bottom of Windgates hill) as a public right of way access through the new golf course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

I heard about this from a member a couple of weeks ago, it's in the papers now:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/greystones-golf-club-in-100m-development-proposal-1.2243380

Previously "Greystones New Quarter" ...see your thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055061583

0006.jpg

Sexy...

Advertisement