Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC French - June 10th*** Please state your level

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

What answers did ye get for the HL multiple choice questions on the comprehensions??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Stooped wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many marks you get deducted if you write over the 75 word count? I wrote around 130 words for that Matthieu message.

Jaysus don't say we get deducted marks!? I wrote 165 words for the 90 worder...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

d1234 wrote: »
    What answers did ye get for the HL multiple choice questions on the comprehensions??

b and d, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sxcshoes

Tet2015 wrote: »
    What....the man threw jam? French exam was great except for Aural (last 2 pages were kinda tough, I think I got everything wrong on last page :(! ) If I don't do well in the exam it will be due to my aural. Wonder how my oral will effect my grade, really wish they showed you your practical grades alongside results.

For reading comprehension q2. what was the possessive adjective they were asking for? I just said it was "ai-je", had no clue what it was.

Pretty sure it was "leurs"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

Sxcshoes wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was "leurs"

I got the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The SEC know exactly what they are at! On the french OL diary entry we had to say our exams were going well however biology was more difficult than maths. true story
    Lol, complete co-incidence, the French paper-setters wouldn't have the slightest clue what the maths or biology papers were like!

Funny, though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

********Not a marking scheme************

Sample Answers for top marks /5 for each section. Official M.S. Will be subject to change

Q1: Un refuge convivial au secours des SDF du métro parisien.

1. (i) les couloirs du métro.

(ii) tendant parfois la main

2. (i) les murs et Les grandes fenêtres.

(ii) faire une lessive.

3. (i) il faut être accompagné par l'une des équipes du Recueil social (pour y entrer).

(ii) il vivait avec ses grands-parents (avant) mais ils sont morts.

4. (i) valorisant NOT devant - in context this is a proposition meaning in front of.

(ii) Il ne sait plus à quand son dernier repas chaud remonte.

5. (i)
    -
    - le centre d'accueil a enregistré plus d'un millier de passages en trois mois.

(- Bruno nous dit que l'on / tout le monde est vraiment pris en compte. Selon lui, c'est la Rolls Royce des refuges.) -manip. req.

(ii) (b) on essaie de renouer les rapports familiaux.

- looks like a bright & comfortable house (than an accommodation centre homeless day centre)
    - wooden floor, modern furniture, big windows, white walls
    - They can eat, shower, do their laundry, find clean clothes...
    - relax, lie on sofa, watch TV, play pinball machines, smoke... All in the heat/warm environment
    - have a hot meal

Etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Did anyone do OL?? Thought the aural was so nice!! defin. got at least 80/100 on that! The comprehensions were horrible though, especially Q4, the detective one, and the first which was meant to be easy. wow, never knew there's about 10 types of selfies. Really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Can I clarify that you are not deducted for writting over the word count. I wrote ALOT more but only because I speak French and I have a good standard. My answers were longer but were focused and had good French, I'm ok right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aaronj2011

DT1 wrote: »
    Did anyone do OL?? Thought the aural was so nice!! defin. got at least 80/100 on that! The comprehensions were horrible though, especially Q4, the detective one, and the first which was meant to be easy. wow, never knew there's about 10 types of selfies. Really sad.

Yeah I did OL, thought the aural was nice. Comprehensions were difficult enough, gutted. Hopefully I just scrape by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

My teachers corrected French for the last 30 years you do not get deducted marks for writing over the word
    count she would murder us if we only wrote 75 words! The marking scheme from the comprehensions
    will change about 3 times so don't panic reading it! Rmember they want to give you marks not take them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

foxymm wrote: »

Sample Answers for top marks /5 for each section. Official M.S. Will be subject to change

2. (i) murs blancs, grandes fenêtres.

(ii) Ici on peut faire une lessive.

3. (i) il faut être accompagné par l'une des équipes du Recueil social (pour y entrer).

4. (i) valorisant NOT devant - in context this is a proposition meaning in front of.

5. (i)
    -
    - En trois mois l'accueil a enregistré plus d'un millier de passages.

(- Bruno nous dit que l'on / tout le monde est vraiment pris en compte. Selon lui, c'est la Rolls Royce des refuges.) -manip. req.

- looks like a bright & comfortable house (than an accommodation centre homeless day centre)
    - relax, lie on sofa, watch TV, play pinball machines, smoke... All in the heat/warm environment
    - have a hot meal

Etc, etc.

I'm not sure about two of these

When it said proof that you can clean your clothes I think they might also accept the quote about 'vetements propres' because clean clothes is pretty much the same thing?

and when u have to describe the appearance of the place for part 2 i
    I think the line afterwards saying what it was like 'maison accompagne' I can't remember, but that was actually better suited...

Sometimes there's more than one solution, I speak French but I often find these comprehensions tricky!

Thanks for this though, do u have any for the 2nd comprehension????

Q2: "Les Loups"

1. (i) depuis presque deux mois.

(ii) un fauteuil

2. (i) (d) les nouveaux venus ne pouvaient pas être identifiés.

(ii) leur / leurs

3. car cette/la pièce ne donnait pas sur la rue.

4. (i)

- ils étaient bruyants.
    - leurs poubelles débordaient en permanence (de bouteilles vides).
    - ils stationnaient leurs voitures n'importe comment.
    - ils négligeaient leur jardin.

(ii) j'étais tout à fait détendu

5. (i) Lorsqu'elle a aperçu les dents du loup qui étaient affreusement pointues. / en apercevant les dents (du loup), affreusement pointues.

(ii) ils ne marchaient pas tout à fait droit (en rentrant chez eux).

- Roger initially is taken aback by their possessions, Sarah exclaiming they've got bad taste.
    - Roger seems excited, too, as he gets up in the middle of the night to catch sight of them.
    - Upon discovering that they're wolves, It doesn't seem to phase them.
    - Sarah's initial reaction is soon lessened by the fact they are "très ordinaires."
    - They are somewhat relieved by that fact they cannot be as bad as their previous neighbours who were "sale", "bruyants".
    - Sarah wants to welcome them and bakes a "quiche Lorraine", but trembles as they approach he house.
    - Roger isn't phased going to welcome them "j'étais tout à fait détendu"

Etc, etc.

Q2 (ii) asked to find an expression that shows it's possible to wash clothes in the centre...

"Faire une lessive" shows it's possible to do laundry there.

In the centre you can also "trouver des vêtements propres" - find clean clothes.

Again, I'd be more inclined to the first one but perhaps the SEC will allow the "plusieurs options disponibles".... Mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Hello all,

Here’s my attempt at a HL solution to reading and listening comprehension. A couple of important points – this purports to be a solution, not a marking scheme. If I’m proved right, these answers should be enough for full marks. The marking scheme will of course contain plenty of partial mark answers. Also, despite my best efforts, there are sure to be some answers where what is required will differ slightly from what is here. But I think it’s pretty reliable.
    For what it’s worth, quite a tough paper on these sections. I’m not dealing with question 6 on the reading comprehension at this point – it’s very hard to be exhaustive there.

Reading comprehension 1
    1. (i) dans les couloirs du métro

2. (i) les murs blancs et les grandes fenêtres

(ii) faire une lessive

3. (i) Ils doivent être accompagnés par l’une des équipes du Recueil social

(ii) Il vivait chez ses grands-parents qui sont morts

4. (i) valorisant

(ii) Il n’a pas mangé de plat chaud depuis longtemps/Il ne sait plus quand il a mangé son dernier plat chaud

5. (i) Il/Le centre a accueilli plus d’un millier de personnes en trois mois

(ii) B

Reading comprehension 2
    1. (i) presque deux mois

(ii) le fauteuil

2. (i) D

(ii) leur/leurs

3. car le salon/cette pièce ne donnait pas sur la rue

4. (i) (a) ils étaient bruyants / leurs poubelles débordaient en permanence de bouteilles vides

(b) ils garaient leurs voitures n’importe comment / ils négligeaient leur jardin

(ii) (Moi), j’étais tout à fait détendu

5. (i) En voyant/Quand elle a vu les dents pointues du loup

(ii) Ils ne marchaient pas tout à fait droit

Listening Comprehension
    Section 1
    1. a bakery

2. (a) his friends left without him

(b) he had to walk home which took him over three hours

3. he is saving money to buy a car

Section 2
    1. (i) She travelled in/around Europe with her family

(ii) She left a note for her parents on her pillow

2. (a) Often the other boats were bigger than hers

(b) She found it hard to sail/navigate in storms

3. (i) A big wave struck the boat

(ii) She wasn’t wearing her lifejacket

4. She can swim/bathe in front of her house all year round.

Section 3
    1. (i) At the end of next week

(ii) hairstyling/hairdressing that one can do oneself at home

2. (a) It should be easy to find on search engines

(b) It should make you/one/people want to click (on) it

3. (i) For his best friend’s wedding

(ii) Take diving lessons

Section 4
    1. (a) It only measures 14 metres squared

(b) She has to share the shower with her neighbour across the landing

2. There are areas/districts that one should avoid

3. (i) Paris is one of the most expensive cities in France

(ii) He’s been used to helping with the housework since he was very young

4. (a) He can study quietly at home without being disturbed

(b) There’s nobody else to restock the fridge when it’s empty

Section 5
    1. He threw a pot of jam at the other man

2. (i) 11:45am

(ii) He took two women hostage

3. They are free/Entry is free on the first Sunday of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm not sure if I fully got question 4b(ii) right in text one. I'd say I lost two there.

Then for 5(I) I said when they met their neighbours. I'm not quite sure if this is too broad of an answer. Probably will lose three there.

Then I calculated (accurately, considering no alteration in markings for marking schemes) that I lost 19 in the listening (ugh).

I'd say I lost 11 marks in the oral and 8/9 marks in the written. Most likely will be three or four Marks off an A1.

Driving home from the exam, I kept thinking, calme avant la tempête, and I'm kicking myself I failed to realise that!

And for why it wasn't luxurious I heard 14 metre carrés. At the time, I was confused why metres was in there, and eventually guessed 14 staircases. And then I forgot to put A.M. in last section, another mark lost.

All these marks add up! Frustrating that I failed to get some of these! :/

I think 'faire une lessive' will be the five mark answer as it's not possible to 'citez' and take from two parts of the sentence.

Q2 (i) states:

Qu'est-ce qui REND l'interieur du centre très clair?

As I've mentioned: "murs blancs, grandes fenêtres" fulfil this, making the interior very bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Damn, I only said the windows. I don't understand how having white walls would make it bright though...oh well.

What's a bit unusual this year is how short and very specific some answers are that are referred to as 'expressions'. Many teachers tell students that an expression is a capital letter to a comma or a comma to a full stop. However, that would clearly be too much in the case of some very specific questions asked. Regarding the brightness, I think you have to refer to both the walls and the windows. The rule of thumb is the minimum relevant information that answers the entire question. Notice how no 'phrases' were asked this year. They're definitely getting more precise and trying to stop the wafflers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Yeah, I got that as well.

What did people get for 5 part 1 for text two? It was something like, at what moment did Sarah want to pas an arriere? I said when she met her neighbours, wasn't really sure.

For that I said "quand ..and the sentence where he opened the door brutally"

I'm afraid it's definitely when she saw the wolf's teeth. The passage refers to the 'dents...pointues' and says that she nearly went to back off 'en les apercevant' - when she saw them.

Famoso wrote: »
    Jaysus don't say we get deducted marks!? I wrote 165 words for the 90 worder...

You definitely don't get deducted! Wrote to the end of the second page and got 38/40 in the mocks. Only risk is you'll make mistakes if youre writing a lot.
    foxymm wrote: »

2. (i) les murs , Les grandes fenêtres.

(ii) faire une lessive.

5. (i)
    -
    - le centre d'accueil a enregistré plus d'un millier de passages en trois mois.

- have a hot meal

Etc, etc.
    I got all of that comprehension except I wrote down all four of the things not just fenetres and murs blancs what do I lose does anyone know?

Nobody's picked up on it so far but in the listening section 4 1(b) 'ma voisine du palier' which can translate as my neighbour across the landing/on the same floor etc has to be one of the hardest bits of vocab potentially necessary for marks to come up in ages. I very much doubt many people would know 'palier'. Anyone want to take bragging rights?

Broseph, impossible to know at this stage. It'll depend on the standard overall. My guess is that these comprehensions were actually pretty tough for a lot of people in the middle ground. Worst case scenario = 0. If the standard isn't great and they ease up on the scheme you might get 3.

linguist wrote: »
    Broseph, impossible to know at this stage. It'll depend on the standard overall. My guess is that these comprehensions were actually pretty tough for a lot of people in the middle ground. Worst case scenario = 0. If the standard isn't great and they ease up on the scheme you might get 3.
    Would it go by the lose 1 mark per extra word way? So four extra words = 1 mark?

No, it doesn't really work that way. The penalties for excess -1 or -2 apply to excess material which doesn't invalidate the correct answer. In this case, a parquet floor is generally brown in colour so that isn't bright. The mobilier moderne - modern furniture - could technically be black! So unfortunately, I feel that we are dealing with incorrect information here because there is nothing to support an assertion that these are bright. However, my gut feeling is that people nationally will do less well on this comprehension than they maybe feel. So the scheme might have to be fairly lenient.

(Sorry, just to edit to be a little clearer. Generally you're right that if you give a correct answer and then write too much, you simply incur a penalty of up to -2. But there are and must be limits. What's really quite unusual this year is just how specific some of the questions are. The text at this point refers to comfort and light. The question asks about brightness. Let's assume the furniture is comfortable. We are not told that it's bright. So the problem is that the chief examiner has to decide whether your answer is excess or actually incorrect. I can't predict that with confidence tonight).

I'm afraid it's definitely when she saw the wolf's teeth. The passage refers to the 'dents...pointues' and says that she nearly went to back off 'en les apercevant' - when she saw them.

Is it definitely 0 for saying she stepped back when the wolf opened the door brutally? Literally on the borderline of what I need according to these marking schemes! Thanks by the way.

- Qu’est-ce que c’est? a demandé un immense loup gris en ouvrant brutalement la porte.
    Il avait énormément de dents, affreusement pointues. Réprimant un mouvement de recul en les apercevant, Sarah a lancé d’une voix mal assurée…

What is it ?, asked a huge grey wolf as he swung open the door.
    He had a huge number of teeth which were terribly sharp. Stopping herself from stepping back as she saw them, Sarah said uneasily…

That’s the best I can muster as a rough translation, but do you see how it turns on the pronoun ‘les’ which refers to the teeth?
    Come on, don’t be hard on yourself. As usual, this forum attracts a lot of incredibly strong people. I’m pretty sure the scheme will be reasonably kind to you.

- Qu’est-ce que c’est? a demandé un immense loup gris en ouvrant brutalement la porte.
    Il avait énormément de dents, affreusement pointues. Réprimant un mouvement de recul en les apercevant, Sarah a lancé d’une voix mal assurée…

What is it ?, asked a huge grey wolf as he swung open the door.
    He had a huge number of teeth which were terribly sharp. Stopping herself from stepping back as she saw them, Sarah said uneasily…

That’s the best I can muster as a rough translation, but do you see how it turns on the pronoun ‘les’ which refers to the teeth?
    Come on, don’t be hard on yourself. As usual, this forum attracts a lot of incredibly strong people. I’m pretty sure the scheme will be reasonably kind to you.
    You're right. And I think I got the A1 because I added up the marks saying there was only 50 marks going for comprehension 1 instead of 60 ( I forgot about Q6) so hopefully should be ok. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

I'm not sure if I fully got question 4b(ii) right in text one. I'd say I lost two there.

Then for 5(I) I said when they met their neighbours. I'm not quite sure if this is too broad of an answer. Probably will lose three there.

Then I calculated (accurately, considering no alteration in markings for marking schemes) that I lost 19 in the listening (ugh).

I'd say I lost 11 marks in the oral and 8/9 marks in the written. Most likely will be three or four Marks off an A1.

Driving home from the exam, I kept thinking, calme avant la tempête, and I'm kicking myself I failed to realise that!

And for why it wasn't luxurious I heard 14 metre carrés. At the time, I was confused why metres was in there, and eventually guessed 14 staircases. And then I forgot to put A.M. in last section, another mark lost.

All these marks add up! Frustrating that I failed to get some of these! :/

Ah no, I forgot to mention a.m too. Do you really think they'll be that scabby? I mean I know it was a real tester to see if people knew their times properly, but surely they won't be as cruel to take one mark off for not saying a.m.!

I guess we could just argue that we were saying it in terms of the 24hr clock, sorted!

Advertisement