Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Spanish- June 16th***

• 10-06-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭

Do we have one made already cant find it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

Been looking for one for ages!

Anyone have any predictions for the essay? Or just a list of things they're preparing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

It could literally be anything. There's no point trying to predict anything that will be on the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

comprehensions could be King abdication, Spain in the world cup or the royal family fraud scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 12 B787RW

Something along the lines of equality or terrorism for the opinion essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

I was thinking terrorism but it came up for french so maybe war, equality or social media because the bucket challenge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

La salud , La obesidad , Los medios de comunicación, el rey

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

I find spanish opinion pieces a lot more accessilbe than french. The ones i have done have never been topical. The strangest one was a mock paper from a few years ago was the advantages of the EU membership for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Is mise John

Does anyone have tips to do really good in the dialogue section and are you allowed to use general phrases in the opinion piece in Spanish like you do in french?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ta97

How much should I write for the opinion piece?

ta97 wrote: »

Between 80 _ 150 words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 B787RW

Our teacher says no more than 1 A4 page for the essay. She says to write a 5 line introduction, 5 line conclusion and the main text should take up the rest of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ta97

Between 80 _ 150 words

Is it a max. of 150? I usually write over 150.
    B787RW wrote: »
    Our teacher says no more than 1 A4 page for the essay. She says to write a 5 line introduction, 5 line conclusion and the main text should take up the rest of the page.

Alright :) thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Does anyone have tips to do really good in the dialogue section and are you allowed to use general phrases in the opinion piece in Spanish like you do in french?

For dialogue verbs , make sure u know ur tenses present , imperfect , preterite , present prefect , future , present subjunctive , imperfect subjunctive , present continuous know irregulars and stem changing verbs o>ue e>ie e>I and u>ue

found these online so i thought i'd share.
    anybody with vamos a escuchar 2 can find the answers and tapescript online for listening practice. thats what ive been doing and its quite useful.

https://www.folens.ie/sites/default/files/resources/%C2%A1Vamos%20a%20Escuchar!%202%20Tapescript.pdf

http://spanishgrindsonline.drupalgardens.com/search/node/vamos%20a%20escuchar

Is it a max. of 150? I usually write over 150.

I don't think they would penalise you for going over, but like that other person said an a4 would be plenty to get a good mark in the opinion piece

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hannnah98

does anyone know where I can find audio for past exam listening or for vamos a escuchar. I lost my cds :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Hi all, Spanish (and French) teacher here. Strongly agree that it's virtually impossible to predict the paper however I'd be stunned if the monarchy didn't come up somehow or other. Do some background reading, even in English on:

Felipe (born 1968, at his father's side during attempted coup in February 1981 - 'you might have to handle this one day son' etc)
    Education and training: studies, military academy, spent a year at Georgetown University, Washington DC 1993-1994
    Met his wife Letizia Ortiz in the aftermath of the Prestige oil tanker disaster in 2004 (?). The beaches of Galicia were contaminated. He went to volunteer with the cleanup, she was a TV journalist with state television (TVE).
    She is from Asturias, he was Prince of Asturias which is the title given to the crown prince. This coincidence didn't hurt their popularity.
    Two children: Leonor and Sofía. Succession law has been changed to ensure that Leonor will become monarch.
    King Juan Carlos abdicated following scandals: elephant hunting in Botswana during recession, corruption scandal involving Princess Cristina and her husband, former Barcelona handball player Inaki Urdangarín. Both are awaiting trial.
    Reigns as King Felipe VI (for aural Rey Felipe sexto)
    King faces significant domestic challenges: Catalan independence demands, economic crisis, high unemployment, loss in public support for the monarchy

Somehow, I feel it has to be in there and you are reasonably expected to be generally conversant in Spanish affairs as higher level students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

I'm not going to write at length here, you've asked a straight question and you'll get a straight answer.

You say you're indecisive - you actually come across as quite stressed. Talking of learning 'the rest of the tenses and verbs today' really isn't practical. There are an awful lot of them. You seem in denial as to the size of the task and also your previous grade.

28%, even without an oral, is frankly very poor. You can't put that down to one question only. On top of that, you have not been working towards higher level since April. Attempting higher level tomorrow would be an extremely risky decision which would very likely end in tears.

With regard to your reasons for considering this, namely the outcome in other subjects, you have no rational basis for making such a decision given that you have no idea how the marking schemes are taking shape for the questions you attempted. If things are 'easy' at ordinary level, it is because they are meant to be easier. Insofar as possible, the aim is to see as few people failing a language as possible bearing in mind the implications for getting into a range of college courses. It's not that you've improved, it's that you've found the level that is more appropriate for you.

Question on the subjuctive: if you are hoping an action on yourself does it take subjuctive.
    For example is it espero que vaya a la universidad or espero que voy a la universidad.

I know you can say espero ir but just want to get clarification thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Codswapple wrote: »
    Question on the subjuctive: if you are hoping an action on yourself does it take subjuctive.
    For example is it espero que vaya a la universidad or espero que voy a la universidad.

Nope it's espero + infinitive example espero conseguir plaza en la universidad en Inglaterra
    I hope to get a place in university in England!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Codswapple wrote: »

As the above poster said it would be espero ir, but if you were to use que, it'd be vaya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jenny2015

Any ideas/predictions with ordinary level? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

Hey guys! The opinion piece seems to be the only thing that I struggle with! If you do a strong introduction and conclusion and maybe two paragraphs between with the opinion would that be enough? But also use idioms? Thanks guys

Nice enough paper. Few vocab things that caught me out like peaches. The symonimos where not too bad but just putting in extra words confused me didn't know to leave it out ir put it in.
    Listening was ok, some tricky parts but fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Never realised before just how much time they give you in Spanish exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

That was a beauty of a paper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Chocolalla wrote: »
    That was a beauty of a paper :D

Which is worrying come marking time

Advertisement