Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore or replace teak gate cladding?

• 10-06-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I got a second hand gate to replace mine that is a step away from falling apart totally. These gate has teak panels/cladding screwed onto the galvanised frame. The timber needs to be restored or replaced and this is where I need a little advice.
    1. Does the teak need anything extra on top of a decent sanding and staining?
    2. One or two of the panels are bent. Is there a way of bringing them back to straight by soaking the timber is some sort of solution or heating up with a heat gun and bending the tip backwards?
    3. Most of them are a bit rotten at the bottom and it may be better to replace the whole timber altogether. What type of timber would you suggest using (I'd like to keep the weight of the gate down) and where best to get it in around Cork city?
    I'd appreciate some advice here. To the admins: if I posted the thread in a wrong forum please move it to more relevant one.
    Thanks.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If your going to keep the timber , powerwash it first then sand and use something like sadolins , you won't be able to straighten the wood , if your putting on new timber use , Iroko oak or cedar , cedar would be the lightest weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

If your going to keep the timber , powerwash it first then sand and use something like sadolins , you won't be able to straighten the wood , if your putting on new timber use , Iroko oak or cedar , cedar would be the lightest weight

Thanks. Do I need to treat the new timber with sadolins as well or rather leave it as is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

walus wrote: »
    Thanks. Do I need to treat the new timber with sadolins as well or rather leave it as is?

You could leave it untreated and it will turn a silver grey color, or treat it to keep the colour in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

You could leave it untreated and it will turn a silver grey color, or treat it to keep the colour in it

Thanks for that. I must now find where to get the timber from to price it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I am going to guess the timber is Iroko not Teak which is more expensive than walnut .If it is real Teak you can still use Iroko to repair it.
    Can you remove the slats to work on them ? They probably need a good sanding and re-staining. Its going to be more economical to remove the rotten timber and replace it with Iroko assuming you have the tools and skills to let in the new wood ( a half lap joint is all you need )
    Iroko varies from chocolate to a golden colour so I would stain the new timber first as it will stand out ,even after using a preservative.
    You can straighten the timber by cutting a few deep saw kerfs in the concave side, glue in new wood slips and cramp the whole lot down on a flat surface. On removing the cramps it will stay flat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement