Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my fourteen year old daughter wants to dye her hair blue

Options
  • 10-06-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can give any tips for DIY hair dyeing....I haven't a clue. She says she just wants to get the ends done and I don't really want to bring her to hairdresser and incur a big bill. Is it possible to even buy blue hair dye?
    Any advice much appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Manic Panic do blue but it really only comes out well on hair that is bleached (or very fair) to begin with. The same will be true of any blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

At 14, I'd let her figure out the how's and whys herself.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It depends on her current hair colour and how blue she wants it. When I was younger I used Stargazer blue and purple on my hair (which is dark brown) and it gave a cool tint that I quite liked but also washed out eventually and I wasn't scolded at in school for it (I know it's the holidays now but September isn't that far away either, especially when bleach becomes involved!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Is she not a bit young to be putting bleach in her hair to then turn it blue? Or is there a dye you can get without bleaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Tilly wrote: »
    Is she not a bit young to be putting bleach in her hair to then turn it blue? Or is there a dye you can get without bleaching?

Sure what harm if its only the ends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If there's any salons near you that do training nights or have a trainee, maybe you could ask them. I would be just worried that an unusual hair dye would destroy her hair at a young age if put in by someone who mightn't be too sure what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I'd ask around at local salons for prices - I started dying my hair a magenta/dark pink colour when I was 16, and went to a salon to get it done the first few times. After I got used to the length of time it lasts & how to take care of it a bit better, I bought home dye & my mum helped me dye it.

If you want to do it at home, have a look in local chemists/Boots for colours she might like. I use the Live XXL hair dyes, and I think they started doing some brighter blues/pinks/etc in the past couple of years.

And look, if it goes wrong, it goes wrong. Hair grows, she can always get it cut out if it doesn't turn out the way she wants. She'll appreciate you helping her out too! :)

Advertisement