Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC PhysChem - June 15th***

• 10-06-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

The thing I like about PhysChem is that there are always been definite chapters that come up. If we look back at previous years we can see that the exam has been getting tougher as they ask for way more detail.

So what chapters are you studying in detail for this exam and any predictions for experiments?
    tag.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Physics:
    *doing the light,mirrors,refelction,lens,microsope chapters.
    *Heat(my personal favourite)
    *Radioactivity and Capacitors for Q12 and hope to make a good attempt at Q1

Chemistry:
    hope to make a good attempt at Q7
    gonna be doing Q8
    hopefully Q12 will be nice (heat reaction, mole calculation, acids/bases)
    And Organic question if Question 12 isnt nice or i have some time for an extra!

as for experiments, there are like 20 so i find them super hard to predict tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Physics:
    *doing the light,mirrors,refelction,lens,microsope chapters.
    *Heat(my personal favourite)
    *Radioactivity and Capacitors for Q12 and hope to make a good attempt at Q1

Chemistry:
    hope to make a good attempt at Q7
    gonna be doing Q8
    hopefully Q12 will be nice (heat reaction, mole calculation, acids/bases)
    And Organic question if Question 12 isnt nice or i have some time for an extra!

as for experiments, there are like 20 so i find them super hard to predict tbh

On the contrary, if you look back at all years, there is max 6 experiments that always come up and there is a strong pattern. For Physics I'm gonna focus on Principal of Conservation of Momentum and Snell's Law.

And yeah, who doesn't love heat? I just hope they are decent with us on mechanics question and any moles that come up. I wonder what percentage of the country actually do this subject or know if its existence :p

Tet2015 wrote: »
    On the contrary, if you look back at all years, there is max 6 experiments that always come up and there is a strong pattern. For Physics I'm gonna focus on Principal of Conservation of Momentum and Snell's Law.

And yeah, who doesn't love heat? I just hope they are decent with us on mechanics question and any moles that come up. I wonder what percentage of the country actually do this subject or know if its existence :p

i hate mechanics sooo much so im not doing it haha

like its easy to see an experiment pattern but at the same time any of them could come up :(

Hoping for a high B in it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lenin_Lives

What's the difference between Higher and Ordinary level Phys/Chem?

Just wondering because I reckon I'm ****ed either way.

What's the difference between Higher and Ordinary level Phys/Chem?

Just wondering because I reckon I'm ****ed either way.

Never looked at an OL paper, really if you do HL and learn definitions, learn how to do thermochemistry equations, know atoms well from chem, know mechanics and learn definitions from light. I reckon you'd be able to pass.

Since you're "f--ed either way", you might as well try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Lenin_Lives

I might just focus on physics and try to scrape a pass, seeing as I'm well sorted for mechanics. What are the two easiest topics on the physics(bar mechanics), I've been hearing that they're Light and Heat but I'm not sure.

Horrible paper. Never been so gutted after an exam. The light question was horrid. The Q7 and Q8 for chem were horrible but i had to answer them. The mole calculation in Q12 was way too long and confusing. Went in confident expecting a B1, came out and id be lucky to have gotten a C1

Horrible paper. Never been so gutted after an exam. The light question was horrid. The Q7 and Q8 for chem were horrible but i had to answer them. The mole calculation in Q12 was way too long and confusing. Went in confident expecting a B1, came out and id be lucky to have gotten a C1

As I was looking through q12. the mole question stood out and I just did everything else, I didn't like the way they changed q.7 format for both sections but I managed at least, q.8 was pissed me off because the questions were simple but they weren't really specific, I had the knowledge but I didn't understand what they really wanted (happened in other questions). What did you say for the two energy levels?

I just hope I didn't mess up on my graphs, I managed to do every question I could, but I hope to god that I don't get below a B1. I don't even know whether I did that good tbh.

As I was looking through q12. the mole question stood out and I just did everything else, I didn't like the way they changed q.7 format for both sections but I managed at least, q.8 was pissed me off because the questions were simple but they weren't really specific, I had the knowledge but I didn't understand what they really wanted (happened in other questions). What did you say for the two energy levels?

I just hope I didn't mess up on my graphs, I managed to do every question I could, but I hope to god that I don't get below a B1. I don't even know whether I did that good tbh.

I found the questions very vague in most parts. they looked for great detail but they didnt tell you what detail they wanted exactly. For the energy level I just sais Ea referred to the higher energy level and Eb referred to the lower 1 and used 6 and 2 ? i messed up so bad :(

I found the questions very vague in most parts. they looked for great detail but they didnt tell you what detail they wanted exactly. For the energy level I just sais Ea referred to the higher energy level and Eb referred to the lower 1 and used 6 and 2 ? i messed up so bad :(

Absolutely right! Yeh, for questions like those I added 2 answers, one definite one like Ea = E4 and another part like "Ea is the high energy level" and lightly crossed it off to show the examiner that I knew my stuff at least :S

Since I doubt many people in the country do PhysChem and since most people that I have come across that have done the subject have said that it was extremely hard, I'm hoping they'll take it a bit easy on us for marking scheme.

• Advertisement

Absolutely right! Yeh, for questions like those I added 2 answers, one definite one like Ea = E4 and another part like "Ea is the high energy level" and lightly crossed it off to show the examiner that I knew my stuff at least :S

Since I doubt many people in the country do PhysChem and since most people that I have come across that have done the subject have said that it was extremely hard, I'm hoping they'll take it a bit easy on us for marking scheme.

Pretty sure it was something like 552 people who sat it yesterday in the whole country. The heat question was the only nice question they put on the paper. The one thing I hate about Physchem is beause so few people do it they normally dont have a bell curve so they dont really change the marking scheme :confused:

Pretty sure it was something like 552 people who sat it yesterday in the whole country. The heat question was the only nice question they put on the paper. The one thing I hate about Physchem is beause so few people do it they normally dont have a bell curve so they dont really change the marking scheme :confused:

What :o.......when I got home I googled Charle's law and kicked myself so hard for using "temperature" and "constant temperature" instead of "absolute temperature" and "constant pressure". I knew it made no sense. Ugh, well, no point worrying anymore.

Advertisement