Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucose tolerance test??

Options
  • 10-06-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Currently 5 months pregnant and have heard about friends due around same time as me have all been called for glucose tolderance tests for diabetes. I haven't and have been questioned on why this is. Should I have been called? Is this a new things that all pregnant women have to get? I never heard of it and it wasn't mentioned by my doc or midwife. Have an appointment with doctor next week but don't want to wait till then to find out if I should be having one. thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

venusdoom wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Currently 5 months pregnant and have heard about friends due around same time as me have all been called for glucose tolderance tests for diabetes. I haven't and have been questioned on why this is. Should I have been called? Is this a new things that all pregnant women have to get? I never heard of it and it wasn't mentioned by my doc or midwife. Have an appointment with doctor next week but don't want to wait till then to find out if I should be having one. thanks :)

Only for people with a family history of diabetes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

neacy69 wrote: »
    Only for people with a family history of diabetes
    I had it done and there is no history of diabetes. It was because of the level of fluid around the baby and the baby's size, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Not just if family history of diabetes. I had to have one done due there being a small amount of glucose in my urine dipstick (We had to give a urine sample at every appointment). But I'd say the only reason there was glucose in my Urine was because I had eaten a load of chocolate a little while before I gave the sample. My GTT was normal :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

venusdoom wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you need one it will be done don't worry. I didn't need one during my pregnancy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I was supposed to have had this done... I think it was to be carried out towards end of pregnancy but gyney forgot and I did not remind him! My mother had history of big babies (brother was 13 lbs and little me was 11 lbs) and this was supposed to be an indication of future diabetes trouble for her. She has since developed type 2 (when about 80 yrs) and it is in her family background.

It is supposed to be a convenient way of showing if diabetes will manifest for you at sometime in the future so forewarned/forearmed. Any hint of problem will go away at end of pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The hospital I'm attending make it compulsory if you're over 40 to have a GTT, as there's an increased risk the older you are. I had mine a couple of weeks ago and no problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It also depends on your BMI,the higher it is the more of a chance you have of having a glucose tolerance test.
    I didn't have any on the 1st 3 babies but on the 4th I took part in a study and had one as part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It also depends on your BMI,the higher it is the more of a chance you have of having a glucose tolerance test.
    I didn't have any on the 1st 3 babies but on the 4th I took part in a study and had one as part of that.

Was also told I didn't need one done because my BMI was withing normal range, everyone around me seemed to be having it done except me

Rose35 wrote: »
    Was also told I didn't need one done because my BMI was withing normal range, everyone around me seemed to be having it done except me

That could because of a family history of diabetes, they may be on medication that increases the risk of gestational diabetes, their BMI could be too high, they may have a por diet, etc etc.
    it's a good thing that you don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

A girl i work who is due in December (same as me) is having one... I asked her about it and she said it's because she's over 30. I was 30 years old when j has DS1 and never heard of thus.
    No family history of diabetes and she has a healthy BMI as do I. Shes based in Galway as a public patient and I'm private in Sligo.
    I thought it strange that she knew she was having the test at 13 weeks pregnant, it must depend on the GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I just had my glucose test this morning in holles street. Im 24 weeks at the moment.

My mum had g diabetes during pregnancy so am assuming this is why i had to get it this morning.

I did think it was a compulsory test to have but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I had one with 2 of my 3. AFAIK Portiuncla tested all pregnant women.

cruais wrote: »
    I just had my glucose test this morning in holles street. Im 24 weeks at the moment.

My mum had g diabetes during pregnancy so am assuming this is why i had to get it this morning.

I did think it was a compulsory test to have but i could be wrong.

It's not compulsory, if you show no indications and have no family history then why would they do it?
    I was 37 when I had my baby last year and it wasn't needed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think Waterford test most people too. I had mine at 37 weeks.....not sure what the point of that was! Got the results a week after so if it had been positive it would have been too late to do anything really!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I had mine due to higher BMI and family history but I was hold that at my 12 week booking appointment. I don't think it's anything to do with the GP though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

In France, everyone gets that test done. Didn't realise that not everyone gets it in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never had one done, I didn't fit the criteria.

Delighted to have avoided that test. Fasting while pregnant is not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Be happy you're not getting it - the worst heartburn I had the whole pregnancy was after fasting then drinking lucozade and fasting for another two hours afterwards. No fun!

pwurple wrote: »
    Never had one done, I didn't fit the criteria.

Delighted to have avoided that test. Fasting while pregnant is not fun.
    I didn't find the fasting very bad, (my local lab opens at 7.30am; so I went as soon as i got up) but my gosh the glucose solution is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I didn't find the fasting very bad, (my local lab opens at 7.30am; so I went as soon as i got up) but my gosh the glucose solution is awful!

I really liked it :o

I had this test about two weeks ago. Roasting hot day, sweltering waiting room full of people. I ended up passing out. I would have given anything for some water. I had to lie on a bed for another 20 minutes until they could take blood and finish the test.

• Advertisement

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I really liked it :o

I had this test about two weeks ago. Roasting hot day, sweltering waiting room full of people. I ended up passing out. I would have given anything for some water. I had to lie on a bed for another 20 minutes until they could take blood and finish the test.
    Really??? :)

I don't have a sweet tooth at all so it was a struggle to get it all down!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

In France, everyone gets that test done. Didn't realise that not everyone gets it in Ireland!

Everyone here in Spain gets it too. I presumed that that was the norm.
    You learn something new every day.

Mine was scheduled for 8am so the fasting wasn't too bad

Advertisement