Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Ive to ease myself back in this week so cant commit this weekend as of yet...
    How early is early to you.....
    8 ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

:D half the day gone at 8 but my kind of early.....

:D half the day gone at 8 but my kind of early.....

I was gonna say 7:)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Bring your hat and gloves folks, feckin freezing out there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

@summit2summit....just one point of sign-posting that could be improved upon from 2014 is the turn right into the forest at Craugh. I know I missed it last year and had to double back and a quick look on the strava flyby reveals I wasn't alone. Not complaining whatsoever...fantastic race...in my top 3 of 2014.

http://runtheline.ie/course-map/
    "Once at the end of the board walk you will turn right. You will have forestry on your right and open mountain on your left. You will continue along a rocky trail for about 1.3k where you will then need to take a sharp right hand turn into the forest."

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    @summit2summit....just one point of sign-posting that could be improved upon from 2014 is the turn right into the forest at Craugh. I know I missed it last year and had to double back and a quick look on the strava flyby reveals I wasn't alone. Not complaining whatsoever...fantastic race...in my top 3 of 2014.

http://runtheline.ie/course-map/
    "Once at the end of the board walk you will turn right. You will have forestry on your right and open mountain on your left. You will continue along a rocky trail for about 1.3k where you will then need to take a sharp right hand turn into the forest."

Thanks for that, I will pass onto the rest of the committee and we will have a look and insure this area is marked well. Thanks for your feedback.

For the rest of you, any feedback, prior, during or post event is most welcome, whether is be good or bad.

Thanks,

S2S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Tempted by this but never done any mountain running but considering doing a Gaelforce event next year. Have done a few half marathons this year so may give the 13km course a shot.

chris85 wrote: »
    Tempted by this but never done any mountain running but considering doing a Gaelforce event next year. Have done a few half marathons this year so may give the 13km course a shot.
    Go for it, you won't regret it...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Hi folks, been following this thread with interest! In same boat as other posters, have done a few half marathons recently in about 1:35 but no hill running, would the 26k be too much of a stretch for a beginner? Looking for a challenge but going by the times for the full race last year might be tough going!

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Final warning guys and gals, RTL is at 90% capacity and we expect to be sold out in the coming days. Please sign up soon to avoid disappointment.

We will be operating a waitlist for those that miss out and will post details on that soon.

www.runtheline.ie/register

Thanks,

S2S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Hi folks, been following this thread with interest! In same boat as other posters, have done a few half marathons recently in about 1:35 but no hill running, would the 26k be too much of a stretch for a beginner? Looking for a challenge but going by the times for the full race last year might be tough going!

i'm the same as you on this, have done a few half mara's sametimes but just signed up..just need to get onto a few hills now between and Nov.

Seems to get great reviews for all that have done it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Bulmers wrote: »
    i'm the same as you on this, have done a few half mara's sametimes but just signed up..just need to get onto a few hills now between and Nov.

Seems to get great reviews for all that have done it!!

it's a fantastic race, especially if the weather is agreeable. The long route is tough though, with three big climbs, the first one being the longest, culminating with the trek up to Two Rock, which is a killer. Cruagh is pretty tough also, it's pretty boring fireroad that seems to go on forever. However, once you get on to the boardwalk, it's back to proper trail/hill running. I found the last climb (back up to Tibradden) to be the least difficult.

I would say sign up and see how you get on. If you're f**ked after the first climb, you can take the turn off for the short course.

Im out for tomorrow DOH still not right yet so another week off.....:(

Im out for tomorrow DOH still not right yet so another week off.....:(

Not a problem, I picked up a cold during the week so it suits me to leave it. Would be on for it next weekend.

Not a problem, I picked up a cold during the week so it suits me to leave it. Would be on for it next weekend.

Sound I will keep you informed on my progress.

At this stage sign on and unless you're doing DCM come up to Lamb Doyle's next weekend and join in on a reccy...
    Can't recommend it enough do it for the experience first time out you won't be disappointed.
    Hill running is far better than road. Some will run it all but you get a breather, technical terrain and descending on the long course you'll wonder how you are on some parts of it but it's great!
    Do the 26km...ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

PaulieC wrote: »
    it's a fantastic race, especially if the weather is agreeable. The long route is tough though, with three big climbs, the first one being the longest, culminating with the trek up to Two Rock, which is a killer. Cruagh is pretty tough also, it's pretty boring fireroad that seems to go on forever. However, once you get on to the boardwalk, it's back to proper trail/hill running. I found the last climb (back up to Tibradden) to be the least difficult.

I would say sign up and see how you get on. If you're f**ked after the first climb, you can take the turn off for the short course.

How long did it take you to complete? I see winner comes in around 2hrs so i'm thinking somewhere for me around 3.30 - 4 maybe.

This years Run the Line event is now sold out. Mail info@runtheline.ie with waitlist in the subject to be added to our waiting list. Thanks - RTL and DWMRT

Due to unprecedented demand, we have had to close our waitlist for this years RTL. Thank you to those that mailed us and we will be letting you know in due course whether or not we can offer you a place.

For those that missed out, check out the teams other forthcoming events:

http://www.artoneillchallenge.ie
    http://walktheline.ie

Thank you again for your continued support.

RTL & DWMRT

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

At this stage sign on and unless you're doing DCM come up to Lamb Doyle's next weekend and join in on a reccy...
    Can't recommend it enough do it for the experience first time out you won't be disappointed.
    Hill running is far better than road. Some will run it all but you get a breather, technical terrain and descending on the long course you'll wonder how you are on some parts of it but it's great!
    Do the 26km...ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Cheers for the invite but not around Dublin this weekend unfortunately - have entered the full race, will try and fit in a few longish hill runs over next few weeks but fact that its sold out already suggests its very popular but challenging! Enjoy the run over the weekend!

• Advertisement

Cheers for the invite but not around Dublin this weekend unfortunately - have entered the full race, will try and fit in a few longish hill runs over next few weeks but fact that its sold out already suggests its very popular but challenging! Enjoy the run over the weekend!

Might be next weekend before I am back running......

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

This years Run the Line event is now sold out. Thanks - RTL and DWMRT

Dissapointed, entirely of my own fault.
    Fantastic race i had the pleasure to participate in for the last 2 years..
    I meant to register, but keept postponing thinking i still had loads of time.
    Ah well, lesson learnt.... and it is not as if S2S did not warn us.
    Best of luck to those in.

Out of curiosity, how many entries were up for grab? Is it limited by the National Parks & Wildlife services as for AON?

911sc wrote: »
    Dissapointed, entirely of my own fault.
    Fantastic race i had the pleasure to participate in for the last 2 years..
    I meant to register, but keept postponing thinking i still had loads of time.
    Ah well, lesson learnt.... and it is not as if S2S did not warn us.
    Best of luck to those in.

Out of curiosity, how many entries were up for grab? Is it limited by the National Parks & Wildlife services as for AON?

I think 400 was the cap....I cant answer the limitation question.
    Given the amount of traffic from other users I couldn't see a limit being imposed from a Parks perspective but that's only a guess.
    AON would not be as accessible I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

911sc wrote: »
    Is it limited by the National Parks & Wildlife services as for AON?

I don't think it goes through any NP land (the only place where it is close is up near Cruagh, and that is on official trails so there should be no problem there), so I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As Enduro points out, it's not until you get over to Cruagh Mountain and the other side of Glencullen Mountain do you hit NPWS land. The trail through Cruagh Forest itself isn't so I don't believe the long course hits it.
    pac_man wrote: »
    Is the 13k course accessible and easy to navigate as a training run(not this race) for someone that would be new to mountain running?

If you're not familiar with the area it can be easy to miss some of the sections as it doesn't always stick to the more well marked and used trails.

Agreed with ThisRegard its tricky enough to find the exact route on a reccy from the route map as there is a trails everywhere up there and some you wouldnt think people would run on.
    I always seem to miss a turn but I know the area very well so can afford the errors.
    I was due to go up this weekend but picked up manflu and im trying to shake it so its not looking good for this weekend.........
    I am running out of weekends at this stage might have to drop to the short course............

The story of my Novembers, usually recovering from some sort of bug around this time, so apart from the 2012 race which started in Tallaght and ended up by Johnny Foxes, I ran the short course for each race since.

Short course is great craic though, if you're not fully fit or able for the long one it's less of a slog and can involve a bit of hectic racing with those around you.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The story of my Novembers, usually recovering from some sort of bug around this time, so apart from the 2012 race which started in Tallaght and ended up by Johnny Foxes, I ran the short course for each race since.

Short course is great craic though, if you're not fully fit or able for the long one it's less of a slog and can involve a bit of hectic racing with those around you.

Just a bit peeved I had my target of the long course as usually this is my last race of the year not that I would ever finish high up in the placings but plagued with injury this year and its my first race for 2015!!!

The sound of hectic racing sounds good though and as long as the pints of stout are flowing in Lamb Doyles after ill be happy.. :D

I'll be missing it this year myself for the first time, but due to shepherding kids around to their various Saturday morning activities these days.

I'll miss the IMRA Powerscourt race too for the same reason.

• Advertisement

Just a bit peeved I had my target of the long course as usually this is my last race of the year not that I would ever finish high up in the placings but plagued with injury this year and its my first race for 2015!!!

The sound of hectic racing sounds good though and as long as the pints of stout are flowing in Lamb Doyles after ill be happy.. :D

I was hoping to do the long also, but having not done that distance before I wanted to recce it first. The last few weeks have been a mess training wise so I never managed to get out and do it. Result is I'll stick with the short and compare to how I did last year. And a pint after!

Advertisement