Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

I just wish the weather had not turned so bad on first year that I am doing it:eek::eek:

I am doing short route tomorrow, just wondering what its likely to be like underfoot? Does anyone know how it compares to Glendalough trail run at end of October?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Ah it will make it all the more...I was going to say enjoyable but I think memorable is the word :)
    I can't wait for it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I just wish the weather had not turned so bad on first year that I am doing it:eek::eek:

I am doing short route tomorrow, just wondering what its likely to be like underfoot? Does anyone know how it compares to Glendalough trail run at end of October?

You know the boggy bit in Glendalough trail, thats what the short course is like, with added rocks. :)

You know the boggy bit in Glendalough trail, thats what the short course is like, with added rocks. :)

Yes I know that lovely boggy bit in Glendalough, please tell me its not like that over most of the course? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Am I alone in enjoying wild weather when out in the hills? It's invigorating!

Much more fun! It'll be like running through streams on some of the little narrow trails through the trees, and it's both rocky and very muddy in equal measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

ThisRegard wrote: »

Much more fun! It'll be like running through streams on some of the little narrow trails through the trees, and it's both rocky and very muddy in equal measure.

Starting to regret not getting trail shoes now. :(:o:mad:

crisco10 wrote: »
    Starting to regret not getting trail shoes now. :(:o:mad:
    Get trail shoes!

Get trail shoes!

Well, besides the fact I won't get to a shop today; not sure it would be wise to wear shoes for the first time in a 26km race either!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Get trail shoes!

+1

I run parts of the course last weekend. It wasn't raining but there was a lot of mud in parts. I did slip a few times and I was wearing my x-talons! It will be fun though. Cant' wait now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

ThisRegard wrote: »

You're far from alone! In the right context it's a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

crisco10 wrote: »
    Well, besides the fact I won't get to a shop today; not sure it would be wise to wear shoes for the first time in a 26km race either!

It would be the wiser of the two options!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Definitely get trail shoes if you can at all. Otherwise take it very handy on the descents because the course is quite rocky and will be slippy.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and the nastier the weather the better imo. It'll be character building.

inigo wrote: »
    +1

I run parts of the course last weekend. It wasn't raining but there was a lot of mud in parts. I did slip a few times and I was wearing my x-talons! It will be fun though. Cant' wait now! :D

On the recce two weeks ago in wet conditions, a friend had normal runners, the downhill was not his friend.

Yes I know that lovely boggy bit in Glendalough, please tell me its not like that over most of the course? :eek:

No there is about 300m of road in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

How far into the course is pine forest car park.

Work commitments has meant alot less training than planned,wondering would I make 1pm cut off if starting 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not near the short course, and almost half way into the long course.

ok, so talking 13km odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Bulmers wrote: »
    How far into the course is pine forest car park.

Work commitments has meant alot less training than planned,wondering would I make 1pm cut off if starting 11.

They have an early (10am) start for the long course. No need to register separately, just turn up at 10am.

I'm in the same boat, between work & a back injury I'm seriously undertrained but gonna take the early start & I'll be happy if I can make it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    They have an early (10am) start for the long course. No need to register separately, just turn up at 10am.

Please turn up at least one hour before your chosen start time to allow for parking, registration and warm up. Thx

Time for a stroll up the mountains :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

That was some craic.really enjoyed that. The weather made it even better. I was borderline to do it or not had a cough all week. Delighted I did it now.Thanks to all who volunteered and organised it. Hope everyone makes it back safe. Heard of one injury alright.

Also thank you for the work you all do throughout the year.We got a small taste of what you have to deal with and it was bright.can only imagine what it would be like on a dark night. Thanks again and see you next year.

Off to buy proper trail runners now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Great event. Some weather up there.
    Amazing number of marshals standing out in that rain.

2016 should be renamed Run the River.

Just out of bath. ...think I'm finally warm.

Great event and fair play to marshalls standing out in that weather. I honestly thought I was about to be blown away at fairycastle.

Personally, was under trained and over tapered but was happy to do it in less than 3 hours. Tbh not sure hill running is for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ouch- wasn't prepared for that!!!

+1 on the marshals- truly amazing.

Training on flat roads for Berlin all summer and not really getting any hill work done since meant this race was a real shock to the system! Kudos to the guys and girls at the sharp end of the field seeing them run the ups and downs evenly is something else. Happy to get in under 3 hours, but more for the fact it was over rather than the time:rolleyes:

Fair play to all the marshals and organisers,well done and sitting out in those conditions too.

My first time doing it, great event. Wind going up fairycastle was unreal, sideways rain too, but was great fun running the forest trails. I am sh*te at descending those rocky trails though, I 'm always nearly rolling my ankle.

Think I was 3.10 or thereabouts so will take that.

Car got stuck leaving the field and mountain rescue lads to the rescue!!.. Tks.

Will enjoy my few pints tonite and defo back next year.

Really enjoyed my first time doing this race, despite the weather & remarks here which nearly turned me off! Really glad I did it & I'll be back next year, hopefully to do long course. It must be a stunning run on a good day. I'd say people with no trail runners struggled today, saw few people fall.

Thanks to all the marshals for standing out in wind & rain for hours to guide us & shout encouragement. Well done Dublin/Wicklow Mountain Rescue👏👏
    Will enjoy few pints tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Somehow managed to knock 14 minutes off last year's time so very happy with that given the conditions. I found myself laughing out loud at times the weather was that bad...loved it!
    Saw a fair few bloody legs alright, I would not liked to have been doing it in road runners. I was sliding about in my Salomon SP3s and fell once in Tibradden so must have been lethal for those without trail runners.
    Already looking forward to 2016 :-)

Firstly, a great thanks to the DMRT volunteers for turning out in big numbers to keep us safe today in atrocious conditions.

What a great race, took over 10mins off last years time so I am delighted with progress. The weather just added flavour to one of the best races of the year.

I'd say there were no complaints about the jacket rule for once! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah thanks to the MR team today, and everyday really!

Short course for me - beat my goal time, so happy with that, given the conditions. Had a few wobbles in the mud even in trail runners, so fair play to anyone who got through in road runners.

Really enjoyed it, despite the face sting on the exposed climb (up to the fairy castle?). Even remembered to catch the view of the city a couple of times!

Will be back next year for sure, maybe even the long course!

Meant to say, hope the injured are OK - saw one guy being helped to an aid station with what looked like an ankle injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Really fun race today. I wussed out and switched to the short course this morning and I think a good few others did the same. The marshals and organisers deserve great credit. Brilliant event.

Advertisement