Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming A Farmer in 2015

Options
  • 10-06-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi There

Hope I can get some help!

I am thinking of starting to keep some cattle on the family 30 acres, my father had a herd number but inactive now as we have not kept cattle for years! I work fulltime and intend to build a house on the land soon, have young family. Just want to utilise the land and maybe make a few quid buying and grazing cattle from March-Oct. My questions are:

1. Do I need to install a permanent crush or can I have a mobile pen and crush?
    2. Would I be entitled to claim any CAP payments in the future.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Im at the exact same. Be interested in replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

To get a herd number you will have to have a crush and shed to house sick animals at a minimum in order to get a herd number. Get on yo your local dvo for application form. In relation to grants it would depend on income, age and qualifications. Best to get on to teagasc or someone else on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

As above , I reactivated my uncles last year , u need a crush , isolation unit , loading bay so if there was a disease brake out that the animals can be loaded and u need a stock proof fence , u will then be able to buy animals but not sell till after ur first test which mine was after 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Cheers guys!
    Would I qualify for any grants if I don't have a green cert?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cheers guys!
    Would I qualify for any grants if I don't have a green cert?

It depends on the grant scheme and what other qualifications you might have.

I'm at a similar stage as yourself - our farm was leased for years but I'm taking a few acres back this year (plus we've a young family and will be building a house on the land soon too).

There's lots of different courses out there now that you can do to be considered "qualified" when applying for grants. My plan is to do a course that I'm interested in and can use, rather than doing it for the sake of a grant.

If it's of any interest, I'm cutting back from 5 days to 4 days a week in the day job, so I have some bit of time to give to the farm (thou obviously I won't be trying to do a week's work in one day!)

Drop me a PM if you like.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Sorry guys been off the radar for a while. Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any grant aid for fencing etc? I would need to do a bit of stock proofing

Anyone out there know someone who can put together a small outdoor cattle crush in the North East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

I don't think there is any direct grants but there may have been some for sheep fencing.

You will be entitled to vat back on fencing (see other threads on it here, vat 58 is the relevant form)

maybe you should look at Glas which will be opening soon (so I have heard) and you could do some farm improvements under this.

what part of the north east are you from? I am also from this area and put up a pen and crush with a friend. I wouldn't be able to help you out but you should ask a few neighbours who they would recommend as if your any way hand with your hands its not too hard, bit of welding and a bit digging!
    Sorry guys been off the radar for a while. Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any grant aid for fencing etc? I would need to do a bit of stock proofing

Advertisement