Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasive plant ID needed please

Options
  • 10-06-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a new house and there is a very invasive plant covering a large area of the plot. I have attached pictures.I have tried to ID it but to no avail. Anybody have an ID for it please and tips to remove? I'm hoping it will be reasonably easy to remove but I am worried that I will have a big job on my hands.

dwp1tu.jpg

29ne07p.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Is the stem square? If so then this is probably hemp nettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Is the stem square? If so then this is probably hemp nettle.

Thanks for the reply but I think it might be Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens Glandulifera)

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/downloadDocument.cfm?id=33

Not as difficult as I first feared thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Persicaria campanulata

• Registered Users Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hard to tell the difference without the flowers, but if it is Himalayan Balsam it is an invasive species that should be removed and not allowed to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Pretty positive that johnsparkexile is spot on. It could have been a named variety of it but definitely looks right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 refurb15

looks like Himalayan Knotweed -- very similar to Himalayan Balsam. Him. Knotweed has a red central rib and is harder to pull up by the roots than Him. Balsam. The fisheriesireland.ie website has identifying details for both. It spreads vegetatively so you need to get rid of every scrap--a good dose of roundup is very effective at killing it.

Advertisement