Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a brand new PC

Options
  • 10-06-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently put together a brand new PC, using parts from Hardwareversand.

All fine, no issues.

So anyway first time I power it on, it randomly shuts off after about 3 seconds and then powers back on(it does this everytime) and then seems to run as normal.

However, the video input on the monitor doesn't respond at all. Nothing. Graphics card powers on fine, no beeps or anything. Fans rotate fine. Tried more then one monitor nothing.

I'm at a total loss.

Anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

If its only running from onboard graphics have you tried installing the latest drivers for the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Recurve360 wrote: »
    If its only running from onboard graphics have you tried installing the latest drivers for the graphics card?

The onboard graphics don't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

is the cable ok?

Tried swapping the ram around? Test one module at a time incase you have one faulty stick. Try it in different slots.
    If that doesnt work its possibly a dead mobo.

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Tried swapping the ram around? Test one module at a time incase you have one faulty stick. Try it in different slots.
    If that doesnt work its possibly a dead mobo.

Stuff wouldn't power on if the mobo was dead though?

Googling around a bit suggests RAM issues can cause this, will give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Stuff wouldn't power on if the mobo was dead though?

Googling around a bit suggests RAM issues can cause this, will give it a try.

Also may be worth looking into all your connector's - could be a loose SATA or as said above, RAM may not be sitting in properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Sorry are you saying that you see your graphics card is running fine yet you see no image on screen ? How do you know there's no issue with the graphics card ?

Is the Graphics card set as the main card in your Bios ?

Are there any issues with the display ?

Is the right Input selected on the monitor/tv ?

Sorry are you saying that you see your graphics card is running fine yet you see no image on screen ? How do you know there's no issue with the graphics card ?

Is the Graphics card set as the main card in your Bios ?

Are there any issues with the display ?

Is the right Input selected on the monitor/tv ?

Because the onboard graphics don't work either. The card powers on and the fans are spinning as if it was working normally.

I can't get to the bios or see anything.

Not to my knowledge.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Is the HDMI cable you have ok ? (if it's HDMI)

Are all the power cables connected internally to the graphics card etc ?

Is the HDMI cable you have ok ? (if it's HDMI)

Are all the power cables connected internally to the graphics card etc ?

Yes.

Just tried moving the RAM around. One stick felt like it wasn't in properly.

PC now powers on and no random power off after 3 seconds. Still no display and it now powers off after about 60 seconds .

• Advertisement

Sounds like somethings not connected properly. Check all items plugged in correctly and maybe remove the graphics card and run from onboard and see if that works.

I've checked all the cables. Unless i've overlooked something everything seems fine to me.

Took out the card, won't run from onboard, same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Can you get into the BIOS OP? Check for any strange values. It should'nt matter, but you could check whether UEFI is enabled.
    Maybe disable UEFI, and see what happens.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Can you get into the BIOS OP? Check for any strange values. It should'nt matter, but you could check whether UEFI is enabled.
    Maybe disable UEFI, and see what happens.

No display at all. Can't get into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Start by flashing your cmos/bios (look for the 3 pin connector near the battery)

If that doesn't help, then you're going to have to do things the long way.
    Start by removing absolutely everything you can that isn't needed for bios.
    So, only 1 stick of RAM, no hard drives (or dvd drives or anything similar), no usb devices plugged in and the video card completely removed.

If still no bios onscreen be sure to check something else against that monitor and cable.

If confirmed that it still doesn't reach bios then it's either the motherboard or the PSU. In either case, time to contact the seller.

If it does reach bios in the bare bones state, then add components back in, one at a time.
    I'd start with RAM, then keyboard, then video card, then hard drive(s).

Keep in mind that a failure on video card or hard drive addition could be either that device, or a flaky PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Brian_Dart

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No display at all. Can't get into anything.

Not sure if it will do much but maybe try going into safe mode. You will have to try this blind as the display is not working. Turn on the PC and keep tapping the F8 key for about 15-20 seconds. Then press enter and this should load into safe mode I think. Might be worth a shot to see if anything happens and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just take everthing out, connect the power supply to the board just laid on the motherboard box or whatever, just cpu - no ram, video card, etc. Boot it up using a screwdriver toucing off the power button pins.

If you've still got a blank screen then it's the motherboard. It happens.

Advertisement