Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC HISTORY - Higher Level - June 10th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I think you're a bad person, but in the good way. So many bloody pages :P Housing and education are definitely social changes.

I only had the time to do it because i wrote a page for the eucharistic essay. Everything i wrote sounded like waffle lol

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Too words/

BOSSED IT.
    Seriously though what a nice paper.ðŸ‘

I wrote about health, housing and education for that too

I didnt like how it was phrased so i left it to last and was about to do sunningdale when i had a mini panic attack wether it was falknet or o neill who proposed the white paper, so gave up
    fin709 wrote: »
    I was very confused on this too. Housing trust set up in 1945 and education act in 1947 so i didnt do that question even tho i had all of welfare state because i thought welfare state was all before 1949 but seemingly it was ok cos everyone did it. I wish i had done the question now

I dont think the year they were introduced mattered because technically the changes happened over time and not all once. If everyone did it im sure it was fine anyway.
    Did you say politics have changed or not, i said they hadnt because i literally didnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I know a fair few people in my class who revised later cold-war stuff in the American section like Vietnam and Nixon-->Reagan who were severely disappointed with it. Luckily I had Berlin generally known and Korea pretty much specifically known.

Europe: Joseph Stalin being a nasty man. Nearly 5 pages.

America: Berlin and Korea's significance for US foreign policy, focusing on the prominence of the policy of containment. 4 and a bit pages.

Northern Ireland: Basil Brush and Terry introducing progressive reforms while being crafty Prods. 4.5 pages.

Eucharistic Congress: Significance on the maintenance of a devout Catholic state and Dev's excommunication magically never happening. 2 pages for question 1-3, 2 pages for the essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Kremin wrote: »
    I didnt like how it was phrased so i left it to last and was about to do sunningdale when i had a mini panic attack wether it was falknet or o neill who proposed the white paper, so gave up

I didn't even look at the other NI questions. I just went straight for that question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepbaiii

Can someone please tell me what I should've written about for Topic 5 Northern Ireland question 1? About the social/economic/political changes between 1949 and 1969? Had no idea what it was asking, wrote for 4 pages with solid info but no clue if I even answered the question, then ran out of time for America and Dictators. Was hoping for B1 but quite disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

What was that american dream question even about haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ladyystardust

Did O'Neill and talked about coleraine for most of it and waffle about how he helped relations with Catholics and protestants and how he tried help the economy

Stalin & Mussolini talked about stalins show trials and ed sys and youth movements and little on Mussolini cult of personality his ed sys youth movements and bascislly waffle

Bus boycott was the only one I was prepared for

Contextualisation was one and a half pages basically talked about the congress and at the end said how it was significant

Any idea how I did???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hiddenrabbit

5 for Hitler foreign Policy
    4.5 for Montgomery
    Up on 6 for Butt/Parnell
    Pure waffle with Eucharistic

Delighted overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnnycake

Delighted with that myself
    6.5 on Britain in interwar and life during the war
    5.5 on both Sunningdale and the Berlin Cuba Question
    4 on the document with a nice contextualisation
    Couldn't have gone any better
    What was that american dream question even about haha

Basically a question on the economy but they didn't want to make it obvious as its been up the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Irish went kinda weird I remembered bits of Lemass but not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

Can I just put peoples minds at rest. I did script marking for papers and I have had people write 2 pages of quality work where they have answered the question and other where the 5 pages have been pure waffle that bore no relation to the question at atll. Please remember it is quality over quantity always

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

juru wrote: »
    Can I just put peoples minds at rest. I did script marking for papers and I have had people write 2 pages of quality work where they have answered the question and other where the 5 pages have been pure waffle that bore no relation to the question at atll. Please remember it is quality over quantity always

What would you say about writing about Coleraine for O'Neill? How much would be the max you'd get?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

USA- American Dream, what a babe of a question, to those asking its basically the society in the 50s, economy and consensus in one really! Car culture, tv, hollywood, amazing question all together.

D&D- Britain between the wars and during, again amazing

Movements for Reform- Did Parnell and Butt, but weirdly phrased question

Ten paragraphs for each

I completely misunderstood the first question for Northern Ireland and didn't write about the Welfare State for social/economic changes because the date parameters were later than what I had learnt. Mentioned brookeborough and welfare state in one paragraph and wrote a lot on Coleraine and then a bit on brookeborough/o'neill and nationalists. How badly will I do? So gutted it's 20% gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Making me jealous with all your Cold War stuff! Would have liked to do History in a way, but the sheer amount of writing and potential rote learning turned me off. Furthermore, I hate Irish history :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Good paper, not the easiest but still very good nonetheless.

Went bad in 2 places though. I literally opened my jaw when I opened the paper and found EC!!! Honestly don't think anyone expected anything other than the treaty. So I really just waffled on the 40m q saying that the weather was nice and how Dublin was well decorated! What I was really sad about was my bad choice when it came to the European section. I was under time pressure and picked the Germany economic+social one. As soon as I finished my introduction, I thought about what to write and couldn't come up with ideas that would last at least 3 pages :( It was too late to change questions. I ended up writing about a page and a half, so hopefully it's ok.

For the 1st question on Northern Ireland, is it ok to discuss the welfare state for a bit?? I mean it did ask social... so I assumed it I could just mention 2 or 3 paragraphs on education and housing.

I'm surprised everyone is saying it was so easy/handy paper? I remember my friend last year saying everyone was outraged that the treaty didn't come up and people were gambling on it even further this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

I would have said how most people in Derry wanted uni to be built but the Lockwood committee who had no catholics on the board recommended Colraine.

Protest at Stormant motorcade Ignored by the Government.

Feb 1965 O neill met with Unionists and heard their concerns that they did not want an influx of catholics into Derry because they would lose their majority in the council.

How they used Gerrymandering to fix the electoral boundaries to maintain control.
    This contributed to rise of the civil rights movement
    Robert Nixon a unionist accused O neill of giving into the Unionists demands, government denied this.

Further Unionists wanted Mcgee college to be closed in Derry as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Jaysis lads, how do you write so much? I wrote 2.5 pages for each essay, and then I ran out of time and ideas, and my head and hand hurt.

D&D: Stalin - mostly show trials, little bit on general propaganda, waffly ending
    US:Berlin, Korea, Cuba - A beauty of a question, it was the exact same one I'd done weeks before and learnt off
    MPSR: GAA - wasn't sure how to do this one, just wrote a load about how it began, and then ended with a paragraph saying how it gave people entertainment and showed how powerful the IRB were
    Congress: Ok. Just wrote down everything I knew about it.

• Advertisement

DT1 wrote: »
    Good paper, not the easiest but still very good nonetheless.

Went bad in 2 places though. I literally opened my jaw when I opened the paper and found EC!!! Honestly don't think anyone expected anything other than the treaty. So I really just waffled on the 40m q saying that the weather was nice and how Dublin was well decorated! What I was really sad about was my bad choice when it came to the European section. I was under time pressure and picked the Germany economic+social one. As soon as I finished my introduction, I thought about what to write and couldn't come up with ideas that would last at least 3 pages :( It was too late to change questions. I ended up writing about a page and a half, so hopefully it's ok.

For the 1st question on Northern Ireland, is it ok to discuss the welfare state for a bit?? I mean it did ask social... so I assumed it I could just mention 2 or 3 paragraphs on education and housing.

I think you were suppose to talk about the welfare state....I did the opposite and left it out :( What else did you write about in that essay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Kremin wrote: »
    I'm surprised everyone is saying it was so easy/handy paper? I remember my friend last year saying everyone was outraged that the treaty didn't come up and people were gambling on it even further this year...

Pretty much everyone in my class wanted the congress. The treaty contextualisation could be asked in too many different ways and imo there's too much to be said about the treaty to say it all. The EC, on the other hand, had one possible question about one week in 1932. Much easier to get a handle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ryanmac231

sheepbaiii wrote: »
    I think you were suppose to talk about the welfare state....I did the opposite and left it out :( What else did you write about in that essay?

I wrote about the welfare state in the intro as the big acts. The housing act 1945, the national health service act 1946 and the education act 1947 were all not in the main date parameters. Main body was brooke and o'neill while the conclusion was how their refusal to change politically led to stormont being dissolved

I would have said how most people in Derry wanted uni to be built but the Lockwood committee who had no catholics on the board recommended Colraine.

Protest at Stormant motorcade Ignored by the Government.

Feb 1965 O neill met with Unionists and heard their concerns that they did not want an influx of catholics into Derry because they would lose their majority in the council.

How they used Gerrymandering to fix the electoral boundaries to maintain control.
    This contributed to rise of the civil rights movement
    Robert Nixon a unionist accused O neill of giving into the Unionists demands, government denied this.
    Further Unionists wanted Mcgee college to be closed in Derry as well

I actually wrote about all that apart from gerrymandering. I basically took a coleraine essay and done my best to make it about O'Neill i mentioned all that but i left out everything else he done such as the lemass talks. I just think ill get a very low mark for just referring to the case study and nothing else. I probably should have done the first question instead

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Did anyone do the question on affect of EEC on Ireland ? I did got 4 solid pages on the fisheries and agriculture would this be enough? What else should have been In it ? Can't find any question online on the topic itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kingker123

Do you think they'll mark me down for oneill - I wrote about his election, aspirations, economy, focused for ages on coleraine and then did the Nicra marches and then his resignation. I wrote lots but I'm worried they'll mark me down for focusing on coleraine

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

sheepbaiii wrote: »

Nah, I'm pretty sure that question is mostly Coleraine, especially because the question states 1949-69, which is right after the welfare state. But I think you should have mentioned just a bit about its impacts, i.e John Hume became really educated, the unionists (politicians) not changing by favouring Protestants over Catholics in terms of housing etc. I really don't think you'll lose a single mark for not mentioning a bit of the welfare state though. So don't worry about it!!

Nah, I'm pretty sure that question is mostly Coleraine, especially because the question states 1949-69, which is right after the welfare state. But I think you should have mentioned just a bit about its impacts, i.e John Hume became really educated, the unionists (politicians) not changing by favouring Protestants over Catholics in terms of housing etc. I really don't think you'll lose a single mark for not mentioning a bit of the welfare state though. So don't worry about it!!

how is coleraine a social or an economic change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

The Berlin, Korea and Cuba question came up... There is a God after all.

Although, The Parnell question was strange, did Cultural Nationalism instead. Fastest 40 mark question on the congress Ive ever done and now I don't have a right hand anymore. Ah well.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's kinda what I did I guess? Spoke about how Nationalists started to really speak out after the whole controversy, radicalisation and eventual est of NICRA etc..Really hope I did ok because it was the section I was most confident in and the question threw me so much! Stayed away from O'Neill because it went all the way up to 1993!

Advertisement