Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up a clean OS install

Options
  • 10-06-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the 'Laptops' forum but got no response so I'm going to leave it here too and hope it gets answered. Hope that's ok mods.

I have a question regarding OS back ups and clean installs. I am planning on getting an SSD soon ish, I was hoping to be able to clean install windows 7 on it. I have a sony laptop and they said I was unable to get the install key for a clean install if I put in this new SSD.
    I also am aware of the new Windows 10 update coming out for all/most users which I want to try. My question is this, Is my best option to do a factory reset on my W7 laptop and back it up once I do that and upgrade to W10 and do the same so I can then get a clean install from either or in the future? It makes sense to me but I'm wondering is there something I am missing where this is not the best option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Because Windows 10 is so close to release it might be best to wait and just update to Windows 10 on the laptop as it is,
    then once a Windows 10 ISO is available do a fresh install onto the SSD.
    It's always best to do a clean install because windows will configure the drive properly, enable trim etc.

From what I gather, and is being suggested by MS's Gabriel Aul, is that "once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time"
    https://twitter.com/gabeaul/status/605899873360019457

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I posted this in the 'Laptops' forum but got no response so I'm going to leave it here too and hope it gets answered. Hope that's ok mods.

I have a question regarding OS back ups and clean installs. I am planning on getting an SSD soon ish, I was hoping to be able to clean install windows 7 on it. I have a sony laptop and they said I was unable to get the install key for a clean install if I put in this new SSD.
    I also am aware of the new Windows 10 update coming out for all/most users which I want to try. My question is this, Is my best option to do a factory reset on my W7 laptop and back it up once I do that and upgrade to W10 and do the same so I can then get a clean install from either or in the future? It makes sense to me but I'm wondering is there something I am missing where this is not the best option.

your are unable to get the license key its just hidden get it in command promt
    run as admin, see attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That wont always work FYI, if you use a VLK you cant get it back from the OS :/

If you own the machine you can always force a SLIC activation (the bios knows its Win7), but I cant go any further on that here as its kind of a gray area.

Advertisement