Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

junior cert harder or easier than previous years

Options
  • 10-06-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

What do you think?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ✭✭AvrilDoyle2000

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

Harder in some, easier in others. I feel like English Paper 2 was harder than previous years, but Maths was much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

lundrum wrote: »
    Harder in some, easier in others. I feel like English Paper 2 was harder than previous years, but Maths was much easier.

Agreed. I felt Geography was a bit easier this year as well, compared to 2014.
    Overall I'd say the exams are starting to become a bit trickier - curveballs are being thrown in some papers e.g. the Irish paper 2 prós themes. This could be to stop rote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Depends on the paper, I'm doing my Junior Cert in June 2016 but here's my opinion after scamming through the papers:

French: Very easy - OL OR HL
    English: Higher level getting harder, OL easy enough if you study a few weeks
    Maths: Definitely much easier compared to other years - FL, OL OR HL
    Irish: Getting harder, harder and harder! OL too easy! HL too hard! FL is for idiots - extremely easy!
    Business: Tough whether it is OL or HL
    Music: Easy enough - again like OL English whether it is OL or HL
    Geography: Ha couldn't get any more simpler! HL seems like a FL to me!
    History: A bit hard and a bit easy - OL is easy, HL is hard
    Science: OL - simple, HL - difficult

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What are you calling previous years? If the last four or five years it's much the same, but if you compare an Inter. Cert. paper from 30 years ago, it's much easier now. Back then, many people left school after their Inter. Cert..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

All of these are for HL. Did the exam this year.
    English-Harder. Did you see the speech option and the studied poetry questions?
    Irish-Same, apart from listening which was harder.
    Maths-Easier, much much easier. I was disgusted with the standard to be honest. Usually there are a mix of easy and challenging questions. This year, there was a mix of easy and average questions. They are going to murder people for units in the marking scheme.
    French- Listening was harder, reading was easier, writing was the same.
    Science- Harder, especially the biology which can ARGUABLY be considered the most straightforward component of the syllabus.
    History- Same
    Geography - Easier. In fact, in my opinion, easiest in the last 10 years. Marking scheme should be really tough as a result.
    Business- Same. Large emphasis on accounting though. It wasnt as avoidable as usual.
    Music- Same. Dictation was nice for a change.
    CSPE- No comment.

Advertisement