Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Exchange Currency Card

Options
  • 10-06-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

I'll be shortly working in Hong Kong but intending to travel around China, Central and South East Asia on holidays. I have a Bank of Ireland current account and will have a Hong Kong bank account as well.

Can anyone advise me what would be a good currency card to carry around different countries so I can topup via B of Irl 365 service and withdraw cash at local ATMs.

I'm looking for a card with good exchange rates and no or cheap ATM fees

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There is https://centtrip.com/ which offers a multi currency card which includes Hong Kong Dollar and you can load via bank transfer. But if you don't spend in the currency they offer it's expensive.

If you are looking for something for China, while in Hong Kong go down to Travelex, they offer a NiHao Card that you can load with HKD and CNY. It's a union pay card so it's accepted all over China. However you can only load that one in HKD cash. But it's a great alternative to avoid fees.

However it might even be simpler, just choose the right Hong Kong bank, several banks there offer a no foreign ATM charge debit card linked to your current account.

Otherwise there are no real multi currency cards in Ireland that I know off. Centtrip seams to be the only one that is offering card to Ireland.

If you speak German than you could try DKB, they offer a visa card that allows cash withdraws worldwide for free (they even refund any possible local charges).

Good Luck in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bharr

There is which offers a multi currency card which includes Hong Kong Dollar and you can load via bank transfer. But if you don't spend in the currency they offer it's expensive.

Many thanks for this. Lots of useful information here. I'll investigate the HK bank account option as that would make sense. I'll need one anyway. Cheers.

Advertisement