Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClaren new Newcastle manager

• 10-06-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

JS65736586.jpg

So McClaren is our new manager "head coach"

Can't say i'm excited but at least he's gotten rid of Carver.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There's a good manager in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

No Joe Kinnear then.
    Suppose there is always next time.

And what the hell does "Howay" mean??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ashley has John Carver up for sale in the clearance section on Sports Direct to fund McClaren apparently.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think McClaren is as good as Newcastle could realistically hope to get at this stage, and maybe the board level changes will allow some more stability at the club.

I'm happy to see McClaren back in the PL. That he went abroad sets him apart from the typical gum-chewing, screaming English tracksuit manager and he has some very good stuff in his CV (some bad too though obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Moneymaker wrote: »
    JS65736586.jpg

So McClaren is our new manager "head coach"

Can't say i'm excited but at least he's gotten rid of Carver.

Sp*rtsdirect.com plastered all over St James Park and Newcastle are not getting a penny from it.

As Jimmy Liddel would say "Im not having that".

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

All end in tears not good enough for premier league and especially with a demanding club like newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

All end in tears not good enough for premier league and especially with a demanding club like newcastle

He did fine at Middlesborough and also did well abroad. I don't see why you think he's not good enough for the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I dont think wer demanding either, wed be happy if the club was run like everton etc

Lemlin wrote: »
    He did fine at Middlesborough and also did well abroad. I don't see why you think he's not good enough for the PL.

He did ok at boro with the squad he had got to uefa cup final which is a competition that's not taken seriously. Fair enough won league with twente not the strongest league in Europe. Failed in Germany and failed when he went back to twente

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I dont think wer demanding either, wed be happy if the club was run like everton etc

The running of the club has noting to do with mclaren

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

McClaren did very well with Boro, took them to their highest ever league finish, won them their first ever trophy and took them to the UEFA cup final. Look what happened to them after he left.

Twente's league win was their first (and only) title win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Steve McLaren is a bad manager but the appointment really shows the lack of ambition at Newcastle United at the current time.

A very solid appointment.

He may not have Newcastle in the top 7 or 8, maybe more midtable security, but given spending levels of other clubs that should be a welcome relief after the chaos of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think Steve McLaren is a bad manager but the appointment really shows the lack of ambition at Newcastle United at the current time.

I don't think it shows thew lack of ambition necessarily.

Working at Newcastle under Ashley isn't appealing to a lot of managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

He did ok at boro with the squad he had got to uefa cup final which is a competition that's not taken seriously. Fair enough won league with twente not the strongest league in Europe.

Hard to know where to start with that.

He did ok at boro with the squad he had got to uefa cup final which is a competition that's not taken seriously.

Arsenal were taking it seriously. They were still on for the treble when Boro beat them over two legs in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm going to be bold with my prediction and say Newcastle will finish top half of the table next season.

No one mentioned how he done with England Wolfsburg twente second spell forest derby ?

Because there's enough to suggest he's a good appointment.

Plenty of managers have plenty of failures on their CV but have done a good job at a particular club because it was a good fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No one mentioned how he done with England Wolfsburg twente second spell forest derby ?

You can argue Mourinho at Real Madrid was a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Ronald Koeman nearly got Valencia relegated and was sacked after half a season at AZ. Nonetheless, his appointment has worked out pretty well for an English club.

Very few managers are successful all the time.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    You can argue Mourinho at Real Madrid was a failure.

You might have an arguement because he didn't win the champions league but to break Barcelonas grip on spain probably the best club team we've seen at the time I'd put him down as success

It's a moot point. All the managers who have been successful at all of their other clubs would avoid Newcastle like the plague.

elefant wrote: »
    Ronald Koeman nearly got Valencia relegated and was sacked after half a season at AZ. Nonetheless, his appointment has worked out pretty well for an English club.

Very few managers are successful all the time.

Judge koeman at the end of his contract. Pardew got an average newcastle squad to 5th but newcastle fans would say he was a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think Newcastle probably deserved a bigger name but with the current regime its a good appointment imo. Yes McClaren has had his poor spells but his Derby side played some lovely football and really probably should have gotten promoted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm just looking forward to hearing his first Geordie accent interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

kevthegaff wrote: »

Newcastle wouldn't be Newcastle if they weren't run like a circus

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Not the most inspiring appointment, but it think it'll work out ok. He's undoubtedly a good coach and I think he'll improve things overall at the club, as long as the Ashley circus effect doesn't overshadow everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal were taking it seriously. They were still on for the treble when Boro beat them over two legs in the semis.

No they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gosplan wrote: »
    No they didn't.

Glad I'm not the only one to not remember this phantom semi final

Weren't Arsenal in the CL final that season and lost v Barca

Infact Arsenal were knocked out early in Fa cup, semis of the league cup, and were in a 4th race battle with Spurs

Unearthly wrote: »

Infact Arsenal were knocked out early in Fa cup, semis of the league cup, and were in a 4th race battle with Spurs

Ah, I miss the old 4th place battles with Spurs. Ending their hopes in the final few weeks of it season was loads of fun.

You could usually pinpoint the week when the Tottenham collective realised that this was not in fact 'it' and rather another iteration of the Spurs 'slightly better than average but not quite good enough' formula.

Admittedly, we were only slightly better and fairly shot at times but it kept us entertained.

Fun fact: In Wenger's time at Arsenal, they are the only club in England that Spurs have not finished ahead of.

Unearthly wrote: »

Those were the semis I was talking about: Arsenal v Middlesbrough.

But they were in the semi of the FA Cup as well. United beat them before beating Millwall in the final.

But they were in the semi of the FA Cup as well. United beat them before beating Millwall in the final.

I love a good semi

gosplan wrote: »
    I love a good semi
    :D

But my point was just that dismissing winning the league cup because it's the league cup isn't fair to his record.

• Advertisement

And I was talking about a uefa cup no one takes seriously. The only that do they met Sevilla and got a battering 4-0

:D

But my point was just that dismissing winning the league cup because it's the league cup isn't fair to his record.

I wasn't dismissing it I said he did ok with boro but the team he had then the league wasn't a massive achievement a good one all the same

And I was talking about a uefa cup no one takes seriously. The only that do they met Sevilla and got a battering 4-0

Right. No one takes the UEFA Cup seriously. Except for Boro and Sevilla (who take it very seriously). Gotcha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

English teams not taking the UEFA Cup seriously does not equate to Europe doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

spockety wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to hearing his first Geordie accent interview.

https://twitter.com/BoyleSports/status/609288413980852225

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

sackmclaren.com

I'll give it 8 games before we see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Saipanne wrote: »
    sackmclaren.com

I'll give it 8 games before we see that.

Its here already. You started it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McClaren will be sacked tomorrow per a few of the north-east journalists who usually have their finger on their pulse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good riddance... Who we bring in is another story. I fear it'll be one of Pearson or Tim Sherwood.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Give to arry redknapp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Isn't he on the board as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Good riddance... Who we bring in is another story. I fear it'll be one of Pearson or Tim Sherwood.

:rolleyes:

Your attacking quality, coupled with your remaining fixtures and a new manager bounce should see you safe this season anyway IMO.

It's hard to see anything but a 3-way shootout between Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich to avoid those last 2 relegation sports now and I think all of the above give you the advantage.

It'll be ironic that Newcastle switch their manager before a derby for a change as it's usually always us. :pac: I suspect you'll get the same impact that we usually do when it happens too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Isn't he on the board as well?

Lol that's right, I remember that being announced.

"All those in favour of sacking Steve?"

"Right. All those against?"

"Just you then, Steve."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Isn't Moyes being linked as favourite to take over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

adox wrote: »
    Isn't Moyes being linked as favourite to take over?

I think Pearson is favourite which shows the level of ambition the club has.

• Advertisement
Advertisement