Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClaren new Newcastle manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think Pearson is favourite which shows the level of ambition the club has.

An appointment that would have a quick short term bounce but that would go south pretty quickly next season IMO.

I'd class Leicester fans as fairly reserved, yet he got into a couple of scraps with them. He'd start an argument in an empty room. If he tried that in Newcastle he'd be chewed up and swallowed within the week, but he thinks he's a hard man and can't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Meh I'd have Carver back before I have McClaren in charge for one more game.

He has been an unmitigated disaster. 85m spent and he has a worse win rate then Joe Kinnear. I honestly think he's up there with the worst managers we've ever had.

Yes he's only one problem of many at the club but he's the most urgent and immediate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lol that's right, I remember that being announced.

"All those in favour of sacking Steve?"

"Right. All those against?"

"Just you then, Steve."

Is it a bit of a case of him sacking himself then? Sorta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Arghus wrote: »
    Is it a bit of a case of him sacking himself then? Sorta?

"Mutual agreement" probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The only worry is that if you sack McLaren, who would want the job? The new guy essentially has a 2 in 3 chance of going down. There's a good chance any manager could blot their copybook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The only worry is that if you sack McLaren, who would want the job? The new guy essentially has a 2 in 3 chance of going down. There's a good chance any manager could blot their copybook.

New guy is in a no loss situation!

Get relegated - "The rot had set in", "Not my squad", "already doomed", "We didn't get relegated based on last 8 games, the damage was already done", "It was the last guys fault" etc etc

Stay up - hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kfallon wrote: »
    New guy is in a no loss situation!

On the other hand, he will be at Newcastle.

No decent manager would touch that job with a bargepole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On the other hand, he will be at Newcastle.

No decent manager would touch that job with a bargepole.

£££££££ and offer them a survival bonus ££££££££££

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GavRedKing wrote: »
    £££££££ and offer them a survival bonus ££££££££££

There will always be managers prepared to do the job, but take Moyes for example, why would a talented manager trying to rebuild his reputation like he is go near the Newcastle job?

• Advertisement

I'm sure whoever comes in will get a fair whack of cash. Also, considering the state Newcastle are in, the potential new manager could easily wash his hands of the whole fiasco after the end of the season - "Look at what I was given to work with, not enough time to turn it around etc, etc..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Will that finally kill McLaren's career? Did ok at 'boro, did ok at Twente - but has been useless in every other job.

Will that finally kill McLaren's career? Did ok at 'boro, did ok at Twente - but has been useless in every other job.

He seems to be one of those guys who magically always ends up finding work.

Some toxic job, that no-one else would rightly consider doing, will probably turn up and he'll be willing to do it for half the wages of the next guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There will always be managers prepared to do the job, but take Moyes for example, why would a talented manager trying to rebuild his reputation like he is go near the Newcastle job?

I suppose its still a decent job, although Moye might as well wait until the summer and see whats available. I'd personally prefer, if it was me, to take over when Newcastles faith has been decided either they stay up and you try build and push them to their level around mid table or take them up from the Championship but would Moyes want a job in the Championship is the question?

I'd agree though about reputation, taking over now and failing to keep them up could be a disaster for any manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Too little too late from us. The time to sack him was when we had 18 days without a game. Lee Charnley has been a disaster for the club. Employing a man who has no clue about football by a man who has even less of a clue is exactly we're a laughing stock of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm sure whoever comes in will get a fair whack of cash. Also, considering the state Newcastle are in, the potential new manager could easily wash his hands of the whole fiasco after the end of the season - "Look at what I was given to work with, not enough time to turn it around etc, etc..."

The only problem is, he'll have virtually no say in how it's spent!

It's the main reason I'd be surprised with Moyes taking the job. I can't see him dancing to Ashley's tune the way a manager has to at Newcastle. McClaren, Carver, Pardew, Hughton and Kinnear have all been the definition of yes-men, while Moyes seems to me like a manager who will want a fair bit of decision-making power.

You'd never know though, maybe Ashley has finally had an eureka moment with regards to the management of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

No manager worth their salt will take the job unless something drastic changes at the club. You are hired as a mouthpiece for Ashley and SD and a part time coach.

That's why since the keegan debacle where the clubs business model was laid bare, we have hired failed or failing managers who will never say a word as they are so glad to have a job in the premiership.

It's the exact model used in sports direct. Promote from low level so you get absolute loyalty.

Other than a 10 game contract with a big name to secure the asset, it will be another cheap lacky installed and another year or two of flirting with relegation followed by me posting the exact same thing in 2 years when It all falls apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

McLaren came to training ground to take training and left immediately

Benitez in?

Newcastle go through an insane amount of managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Benitez in?

Newcastle go through an insane amount of managers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057571263

Advertisement