Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratchet & Clank 2016 PlayStation 4

Options
  • 10-06-2015 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

8 mins of gameplay my god the game just looks fantastic :eek: considering its a remake of the 1st game witch next year is 15 years old or something crazy like that. I really cant wait for the game and the film myself

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never saw the attraction of the franchise myself.
    I have them all but only enjoyed the first one, the rest just felt like repeats with not that much new.
    It also seemed like they were following Jak & Daxter each step of the way, enjoyed that more too but they felt like reskins of each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, always found Ratchet and Clank to be mediocre. Not bad but certainly not good enough for me to give it any amount of time. They always came across as a weak attempt to fill in the cute platformer niche the playstation platforms had along with Jak and Daxter. A remake of the first game is even less interesting. I found the sly cooper games a lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was going to say Sly Cooper was better, certainly my son was bored to tears of R&C but Sly Cooper trilogy on PS2 and the more recent PS3 title really held his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

What is going on in this thread? The Ratchet & Clank games are very good, particularly the PS3 games. I think (and I've said this many times on here) that A Crack in Time is the best 3D platformer of the last generation. Tools of Destruction was very good too and Into the Nexus, while short, is good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are Naughty Gods doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think (and I've said this many times on here) that A Crack in Time is the best 3D platformer of the last generation.

Mario Galaxy 2 just called. It said you might think that but you are clearly wrong.

Found the PS3 games the same as the older ones, trying to be as good as what Nintendo/Rare produced with an edge (like the pathetic innuendo titles) and just coming across as wannabes.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Are Naughty Gods doing this?

Hardly considering the series was never developed by Naughty Dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Hardly considering the series was never developed by Naughty Dog.

Strange, google did say Gods and insomniac are making it when I googled earlier.

I was thinking it looked a bit like that game they released in the xbox, forget the name

Yeah google it still saying it
    Ratchet & Clank
    Video game series
    Ratchet & Clank is a series of platform video games. The franchise was created and developed by Insomniac Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for many different PlayStation consoles, such ... Wikipedia
    Designer: Brian Allgeier
    Developers: Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Sanzaru Games, more

Well wiki aren't, the Ratchet and Clank page doesn't include an entry for Naughty Dog.
    And Mario Galaxy and its sequel are both better.
    Sly Cooper on the PS3 is better too.
    Ratchet and Clank, highly polished, highly derivative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Personally I think its one of the better platformers, with a particular push towards run and gun the others don't do. Perhaps it repeated itself a little and strayed down some glitchy paths (all4one) but I've always enjoyed the main series, particularly anything with captain quark comedy.
    I've played sly, Mario galaxy, etc; great games but I'd rate this series slightly higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Same for some odd reason i rate Ratchet & Clank higher then Sly Cooper, jack and dexter and Super Mario Galaxy and i have played every game in the series of them games and i still come back to ratchet and clank every time as the jokes never get old as the game is basically just a huge piss take with there jokes. The characters in Ratchet & Clank are also more likeable then jack and dexter and don't get me going on the extremely child friendly ones of sly.

The PS3 Ratchet & Clanks are maybe my fave games of all time and i remainder playing tools of destruction as the 1st game on my PS3 and i was more impressed with that then i was with Uncharted 2 witch i also got the same day.

But i think my love for Ratchet & Clank came from getting the new game every Xmess and sitting down and playing it none stop with my older sister and taking turns at it. I think it just reminds me of my youth :). Same as Toy Story 2 on the PS1 witch if people haveint played play it it still holds up today.

Yes Ratchet & Clank has had some bad games but the same could be said for Mario as well.

I seen there Retr0gamer well who else will be giving out about a none Japan based game. Said he hated the names for the games to fantastic and ties in with the jokes of the game. Considering the names where a lot worse and funnier with there sexual team.

Sunset overdrive was Insomniac Games last game witch was basically a ratchet and clank + more on the xbox one the game in witch i got a xbox one for was perfect in every way just like Ratchet & Clank. People here would prob hate the game as it keeps on breaking the 3rd wall just like Ratchet & Clank.

Yes Super Mario Galaxy is a good game but the thing that lets it down is the stupid wii controller witch is a a huge hate of mine and its maybe the worst controller i have ever used in my life for playing video games and use the PS3 DS3 is a better controller then it.

I found the Sly Cooper on the PS3 well i played the vita port of that game to be extremely poor and boring could just not get into that game at all and ended up just deleting it off my vita. But the PS 2 ones are a lot better.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but there is no way R&C could be considered better than the Mario Galaxy titles.
    Perhaps, personally, you prefer them but the Mario Galaxy titles are simply much much better, and pretty much universally considered so.
    Perhaps there is some nostalgic warmth to be found, snuggling up to a game of yesterday that you loved at the time, perhaps because you had it on the PS2 but, for sure, the GC and Wii had Sunshine and Galaxy titles that outstripped the R&C games in every way.
    That said, Jak & Daxter for some reason was a heck of a lot of fun, probably because it didn't focus on typical setting tropes.
    That said again, I think Haven on the PS2 was better than either J&D or R&C, with early similarly themed levels as J&D but branching out later on as well as a very nice use of fractals to create innovative and interesting visuals, but no one bought it, except me at least!
    I think it's available for less than a fiver in CEX!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Has anyone turned up yet to Say how Crash Bandicoot is better the Mario 64? Cause when they do, this thread will implode before it's hit page 2 :pac:

All these animal/robot PS games just blur into each other for me.
    Sly and Dexter, Gex and Clank.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Spyro the Dragon was the greatest cutesy platformer of all time. Just saying.

As Ciderman says, nostalgia plays a role, if you offered me R&C or Mario Galaxy tomorrow, I'd take R&C because of the nostalgia value, but they are not better games.

Regardless, I can see the remaster being mildly popular. There was a remake for the first 3 on PS3 in 2012 iirc, it's going to be the exact same thing, with a few added gimmicks so they can say they didn't remake the same game twice in 4 years

The PS2 and PS3 didn't exactly have great platformers so you took what you got which was the Ratchet and Clank games (nobody bought sly cooper for shame). They're servicable (the humour is childish rubbish, sorry) but I'd file this with Gears of War as a remake that isn't really warranted.

I thought most of the Jak and Daxter games were dreadful. The first one was decent for a launch window PS2 title but my god the second game is so poorly designed. So many annoying levels and difficulty spikes. It got great reviews at the time but it's generally regarded as a very over rated game now.
    I seen there Retr0gamer well who else will be giving out about a none Japan based game.

:rolleyes: Grow up.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Has anyone turned up yet to Say how Crash Bandicoot is better the Mario 64? Cause when they do, this thread will implode before it's hit page 2 :pac:

All these animal/robot PS games just blur into each other for me.
    Sly and Dexter, Gex and Clank.....

Crash Bandicoot succeeds because it isn't pretending to try to be SM64, it squeezes some lovely visuals and sounds out the the early PS and is fun, with its in and out of the screen levels along with more traditional side scrolling sections, and its a series on the PS that only seemed to get better. Crash 3 is gorgeous imho.
    Gex sucks donkey balls, and I bought it for the 3DO so I know what I'm talking about!
    Speed Freaks is better than Crash Team Racing as well BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Fan of the series. It will be at least 2016 before I will buy a PS4. So won't miss the next installment just yet.

Crash Bandicoot was never that great a game, there's some absolutely appalling level design in the first game. The second one is a bit better but no classic. The third game though is surprisingly excellent.

The love that CTR gets now surprises me. It was a good racer but not as good as Mario Kart 64 (which wasn't that great to begin with) or a slew of other excellent cart style racers like Speed Freaks or Beetle Adventure Racing that would be better than MK64. IT just felt too floaty to be with no connection between the kart and the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Jersey devil was as as good as any of the above

Dear god no.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dear god no.

Other than Mario what platformers do you like?

• Advertisement

I actually found daxter on the psp to be one of the best games from the j&d series, very enjoyable little platformer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tearaway is better than the lot of them by a distance (Mario Galaxy excluded) [/****stirring]

Tearaway was incredible.
    And I'd like to vote for Puppeteer on the PS3, it was absolutely gorgeous, and proved that consoles, with sufficient power and the willingness to use that power to be creative, can be host to something original.
    The gameplay was a little simplistic at time but the visuals, script and voice acting were generation best.
    Honest.
    You can trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Yep, Tearaway was incredible alright. I didn't mind the fact that it was so short. Every bit of it was excellent.

Puppeteer was pretty good too but I felt it over stayed its welcome. It must have been close to 15 hours.

da gamer wrote: »
    Other than Mario what platformers do you like?

Crash 3, the Sly Cooper games, Do Re Mi Fantay, Klonoa series, Tombi, Castlevania. There's too many to list.

From the little I played Daxter was pretty good.

Puppeteer had a good idea but didn't deliver on it. It got really old fast. I'm excited to see the PS4 Tearaway game at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What about the 2 recent Rayman games, Super Meat Boy and Battle Block Theater?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Only thing I'll add to this pot is that I think Ratchet and Clank is a lot better than Sly Cooper.

I've enjoyed all the R&C games I've played. I remember liking the first Sly when I was younger but I recently played the latest game on my vita and that was extremely average (being kind here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Speed Freaks is better than Crash Team Racing as well BTW!
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

That's the download completed, just waiting for tomorrow night (I think). I see the opinions on the game on this thread aren't exactly five star all round, but I'm a unrepentant Ratchet & Clank fanboy. Just something about the action, the guns, humour, story, characters, voice acting... all gelled to make (generally - yep there were a few duds) a great series of games.

Not saying it better than the games previously mentioned here, objectively it doesn't hold up to any of the Mario 3d platformers. But at the time I loved them, it's one of the few console games that would take my wife away from PC gaming to happily spend hours on; and in the years since I have two children that have also played and enjoyed the series. So perhaps I'm not being suitably critical enough, doesn't matter, to me this release is a wee bit of a family event and I'm very excited.

But, but, but... why no hype or publicity? They have a movie out next month, you'd think there'd be a bit of a push behide this. I am worried that there's no marketing because maybe it a bit rubbish. Hopefully not, I'll get a run at it this weekend and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The reviews online are overwhemlingly positive anyways.

Advertisement