Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Interesting article in the Indo today:

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/fine-gael-faithful-nominates-housing-as-partys-top-priority-36198676.html

Basically, Fine Gael grassroots have investment in roads fairly high up their priority list for the budget (higher above everything else for transport it should be noted).

As this is the first time that Fine Gael has bothered to ask their members what they want from a budget and the budget is meant to take into account FG members' views, hopefully that augers will for Capital Spending on roads when that is announced not to mention the long awaited M20....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Does anyone know if we can expect a preview of the updated capital plan tomorrow with the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Does anyone know if we can expect a preview of the updated capital plan tomorrow with the budget?

Id imagine they'll spin some repitition of current policy and wrap it as new

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Id imagine they'll spin some repitition of current policy and wrap it as new

It's what they usually do...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

12% increase in spending on Transport for 2018 - good news! A good chunk of this will be spent on the M7 upgrade project - which will start Q4 2017.

In addition to this, the results of the midterm review of the Capital Plan are being published tomorrow.

Here's what DTTAS asked for in extra funding for in 2018/2019, in order of priority.

1. Introduction of variable speed limits on the M50.
    2. Energy reduction programme on roads
    3. Reintroduction of local improvement scheme & drainage works
    4. Master Licence Record Project*
    5. IDA Priority Link road schemes (Tralee & Sligo)
    6. M11/N11 capacity improvements around Bray
    7. R498 Latteragh realignment
    8. TII Minor safety realignments
    9. N52 Ardee bypass
    10. Winter maintenance fleet renewal
    11. M20 Cork-Limerick planning
    12. N40 Demand Management system
    13. Coonagh-Knockalisheen Phase 2 & Killaloe bypass acceleration
    14. N69 Listowel bypass
    15. Road planning of 13 new major roads projects (N5 Ballaghaderren-Scramoge & N69 Listowel; N2 Clontibret-NI, N4 Mullingar-Longford, M11 Oilgate, N13/N56 Letterkenny, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford, N15 Ballybofey, N17 Tuam-Collooney, M20, N21 Abbeyfeale/Newcastlewest, N24 Cahir-LJ)
    16. Carrigaline western relief road, Cork Science & Technology Park access & Thurles relief road
    17. Accelerated delivery of N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin
    18. Accelerated delivery of N5 Westport-Turlough
    19. Accelerated delivery of N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney
    20. Accelerated delivery of N59 Moycullen bypass

Cross your fingers for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

M20 and N40 at No's. 11 and 12....

Aaargh!:mad::mad::mad:

marno21 wrote: »
    12% increase in spending on Transport for 2018 - good news! A good chunk of this will be spent on the M7 upgrade project - which will start Q4 2017.

In addition to this, the results of the midterm review of the Capital Plan are being published tomorrow.

Here's what DTTAS asked for in extra funding for in 2018/2019, in order of priority.

9. N52 Ardee bypass
    14. N69 Listowel bypass
    15. Road planning of 13 new major roads projects (N5 Ballaghaderren-Scramoge & N69 Listowel; N2 Clontibret-NI, N4 Mullingar-Longford, M11 Oilgate, N13/N56 Letterkenny, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford, N15 Ballybofey, N17 Tuam-Collooney, M20, N21 Abbeyfeale/Newcastlewest, N24 Cahir-LJ)
    16. Carrigaline western relief road, Cork Science & Technology Park access & Thurles relief road

Any sign of the plan? Did I miss it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any sign of the plan? Did I miss it?
    I am still waiting for it too. It's been announced by Minister Ross but I haven't seen any report on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

9. N52 Ardee bypass
    14. N69 Listowel bypass

Bugger that....Macroom at #19 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭roadmaster

9. N52 Ardee bypass
    14. N69 Listowel bypass

Why is winter fleet renewal in there ? The PPP's and the MMaRC have there own fleets. Does TII part fund the LA'S for gritting the national roads?

• Advertisement

Capital Plan Review:

I can't find any concise source of information on the Capital Plan review outcome yet but there articles here and there:

Planning funding approved for design of N13/N56 Letterkenny Northern Relief Road: http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/10/11/mc-hugh-claims-bonagee-link-can-go-to-design-stage/

No funding for N52 Ardee bypass: http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/10/11/ardee-nowhere-ross-unveils-capital-spending-increase/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ross is so, so bad at being a Minister for Transport. For him it's a like a hobby he indulges in on Sundays.

What is "Energy reduction programme on roads" when it's at home?

Swapping the street light bulbs for LED's?

The update announcement definitely happened - the start of works on Metro North has now been confirmed for 2021. http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/major-boost-for-dublin-as-construction-work-on-metro-north-to-get-underway-in-2021-36218162.html ;
    Apparently there was also a video at the press conference about the road projects which were going to be progressed. Can't find any mention of those projects anywhere though (apart from the Letterkenny relief road Marno mentioned above).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Since the M20 is outside the pale we can forget about building it anytime soon :mad:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-commitment-to-cork-limerick-m20-460786.html

:mad:

On the other hand if it was the M104 from Ballybackwardsgobsh1te to Stepaside - Ross, Leo and Pascal would start building it tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cjpm wrote: »
    Since the M20 is outside the pale we can forget about building it anytime soon :mad:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-commitment-to-cork-limerick-m20-460786.html

:mad:

On the other hand if it was the M104 from Ballybackwardsgobsh1te to Stepaside - Ross, Leo and Pascal would start building it tomorrow....

That's not fair, as anyone looking at the progress of the N5 would tell you...

Ardee borders on the historical Pale and it can't even get the N52 "bypass" sorted on one side, a very minor scheme compared to the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

All politics is local as the saying goes. The Teashock, Finance Minister and Min for Transport are all Dublin based. Whether they build the M20 or not will have absolutely no bearing on their chances of reelection... The only strong Cork or Limerick politician in cabinet is Coveney and he's damaged goods since his disastrous leadership bid so he won't be making any noise about this....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭roadmaster

What is "Energy reduction programme on roads" when it's at home?

Swapping the street light bulbs for LED's?

it might have something to do with testing they where doing at some motorway intersections. I think they turned off a certain abmount of lights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

There was a recent surge in the numbers cycling around Dublin, but all seemed very quiet this morning by comparison - perhaps the former was all a show in the run up to budget day?

A short time well tell - after all, €110m was allocated to Walking and Cycling - it also remains to be seen how this funding will be shared out between the aforementioned modes. Walking IMO should get most of it - so many footpaths (upgrades included) needed as well as street lighting and zebra/signal crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Capital Plan Review:

I can't find any concise source of information on the Capital Plan review outcome yet but there articles here and there:

Planning funding approved for design of N13/N56 Letterkenny Northern Relief Road: http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/10/11/mc-hugh-claims-bonagee-link-can-go-to-design-stage/

No funding for N52 Ardee bypass: http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/10/11/ardee-nowhere-ross-unveils-capital-spending-increase/

I think it is here
    http://www.per.gov.ie/en/review-of-the-capital-plan-2016-2021/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

3.1.1.3 Roads Programme
    In 2016, over €700 million was invested in national, regional and local roads, with an additional €88 million allocated to support flood repairs and climate resilience of infrastructure. The 2017 allocation provides a total of €680 million, which includes a carryover of €3 million from 2016. The main focus of investment to date has been on maintenance and renewal of the existing network which is essential to protect the country’s road assets.
    While the construction programme can only fully ramp up from 2019, three projects (Naas Bypass widening, Sallins Bypass and road upgrades in the vicinity of Grangecastle Business Park) are at tender stage and are expected to start this year. Advance preparatory work is also underway on other major schemes to ensure that the projects are “shovel ready”.

From the Review of the Capital Plan 2016-2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

spacetweek wrote: »
    Ross is so, so bad at being a Minister
    FYP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Benildus wrote: »
    From the Review of the Capital Plan 2016-2021

Why is the 2017 allocation slightly smaller than the 2016 one according to that piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

So, is that everything that's going to be announced from the Review?

I still haven't been able to find what's been added to the Roads allocation in the Capital plan by DTTAS.

All I know so far is that the M20 and the N13/N56 schemes have been approved out of their wishlist which was:

9. N52 Ardee bypass
    14. N69 Listowel bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

So leo has announced that the M20 will move ahead and be built by 2023. Thing i dont ge is why it has to go back into design and planning. Why not dust off th e old planning and re submit immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

sonnyblack wrote: »
    So leo has announced that the M20 will move ahead and be built by 2023. Thing i dont ge is why it has to go back into design and planning. Why not dust off th e old planning and re submit immediately

Planning was scrapped (ironically by Leo) in 2011 when the country was broke. Hence the need to go back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I'm over the moon about the M20, it is beyond a disgrace that there is such a poor road connecting the country's second and third biggest cities, at least from next year the logjam is being unlocked!

I honestly thought that I would still be driving on the existing road when I'm 40 (I'm 29 now) but I'm starting to become optimistic that there might be a proper road between Cork and Limerick by the time I'm 35!

It's going to be fantastic having a motorway/dual carriageway all the way between Cork and Galway/Tuam, it will really allow the regions to be a counterbalance to Dublin and as Leo himself said, no longer will all roads lead to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Planning was scrapped (ironically by Leo) in 2011 when the country was broke. Hence the need to go back to the drawing board.

Anyway, I'm over the moon about the M20, it is beyond a disgrace that there is such a poor road connecting the country's second and third biggest cities, at least from next year the logjam is being unlocked!

I honestly thought that I would still be driving on the existing road when I'm 40 (I'm 29 now) but I'm starting to become optimistic that there might be a proper road between Cork and Limerick by the time I'm 35!

It's going to be fantastic having a motorway/dual carriageway all the way between Cork and Galway/Tuam, it will really allow the regions to be a counterbalance to Dublin and as Leo himself said, no longer will all roads lead to Dublin.

I agree it will be brilliant but what was wrong with the original design for planning? If it was good enough to submit back then before it was withdrawn why can it be re-submitted? What's changed in the meantime?

I agree it will be brilliant but what was wrong with the original design for planning? If it was good enough to submit back then before it was withdrawn why can it be re-submitted? What's changed in the meantime?

Because it has to be redone in accordance with new Department of Public Expenditure appraisal guidelines, which require new traffic data etc.

The same is being done with the Slane bypass, Ballybofey bypass, Letterkenny-Lifford, new N24 dual carriageway etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Because it has to be redone in accordance with new Department of Public Expenditure appraisal guidelines, which require new traffic data etc.

The same is being done with the Slane bypass, Ballybofey bypass, Letterkenny-Lifford, new N24 dual carriageway etc

It’s a crazy waste of money IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement