Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They can only choose up to a point. If you own your property it's quite hard to move house - a lot of hassle. Even more if you've kids in the local school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

spacetweek wrote: »
    They can only choose up to a point. If you own your property it's quite hard to move house - a lot of hassle. Even more if you've kids in the local school.
    Our property system is IMO an inflexible relic that stands in the way of progress by way of obstructing both infrastructure (social and economic benefit) and personal choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

People are able to choose where they live and work...

A lot of people don't have the luxury of choosing to live a short walk from their place of work. The reality is that affordability issues can mean considerable commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Pedestrians and cyclists are banned from French Routes Nationales, even if they are single carriageway.

The speed limit on French rural single carriageway roads in dry weather is 90km/h, to be reduced to 80km/h from 1st July.

More information in this article:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5255635/Speed-limit-lowered-250-000-miles-French-roads.html

What exactly have French roads got to do with the rights of pedestrians and cyclists to use existing non-motorway routes in safety, with a hard shoulder or segregated path? Or specifically to online upgrade parts of the N2 to shoulderless 2+2?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/shane-ross-warned-people-will-die-as-road-improvement-schemes-could-take-years-824614.html

This man should be ashamed of himself.

150 safety schemes were planned for completion between 2013 and 2020. These are primarily realignments of 1-4km costing around 7-10m each, a good number of them are on national secondary routes. 6 of these are to start in 2018, and 3 other realignments of national secondaries part of larger plans on the N56/N59. Four are to start in each of 2019 and 2020.

42 are done now and a number are under construction which means we should have around 65-70 done by 2020. That's less than half of the 150 proposed.

This is Shane Ross's response:
    Mr Ross said the original plan to have them upgraded by 2020 was over-ambitious and he cautioned that transport chiefs are now expected to do four each year.

But no, he will cut road deaths down to 0 by persecuting people after 1 pint or breaking completely arbitrary speed limits whilst over 70 stretches of deplorable **** road remain in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Calina wrote: »
    That's depressing.

He was eating lunch today in the Sandyford House. If his family wasn't with him I'd have had a word with him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Shane Ross is the most uninspiring man/politician I have ever seen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

€417m allocated to regional and local roads in 2018:

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2018/minister-ross-announces-%E2%82%AC417-million-regional-and-local-roads

A number of Capital projects will progress (all to be done before 2021):

· Bettystown to Laytown Link Road in County Meath
    · Dingle Relief Road (Phase 4) in County Kerry
    · Sallins by-Pass/Osberstown Interchange in County Kildare (under construction)
    · Shannon Crossing/Killaloe Bypass/R494 Upgrade, County Clare
    · Athy Southern Distributor Road in County Kildare
    · Portlaoise Southern Relief Road in County Laois
    · Eastern Garavogue Bridge in Sligo
    · Grange Castle Business Park Approach Roads in County Dublin
    · Coonagh/Knockalisheen Distributor Road in Limerick
    · Sligo Western Distributor Road
    · R498 Latteragh Road Upgrade in County Tipperary
    · Tralee Northern Relief Road in County Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just a little confused as to why the Athy relief road is under this funding- this is a National Secondary route (N78).

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Just a little confused as to why the Athy relief road is under this funding- this is a National Secondary route (N78).

It's being built by Kildare County Council who have permission to redesignated it as the N78 after opening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Marno whats your opinion on each Local Authority controlling their own regional roads?
    Do you think TII would ever take over the maintenance of regional roads? Upgrades to signage and roadmarking is virtually non existent on these roads. The difference in the standard of signs especially. Local council crews would drive up and down a road all day filling potholes and never think to wash a sign or cut back the growth from around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Marno whats your opinion on each Local Authority controlling their own regional roads?
    Do you think TII would ever take over the maintenance of regional roads? Upgrades to signage and roadmarking is virtually non existent on these roads. The difference in the standard of signs especially. Local council crews would drive up and down a road all day filling potholes and never think to wash a sign or cut back the growth from around it.

I think the former NRA already made a play for the regionals a few years ago but it was shot down as it would have being another service striped from the LA'S

TII are already trying to maintain the entire national network and are not receiving sufficient funding to do so. In my opinion adding the regional road network to this would be a mistake as it would be a golden opportunity for government to do more "consolidation".

In an ideal world the road network would be receiving the funding required but at present the shortfall is nothing short of obscene. This is for steady state maintenance before any allocation for improvement is taken into account. The network is a shambles and if you look at any other developed country they have some sort of a network of decent roads. We can't even connect our 2nd and 3rd cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    TII are already trying to maintain the entire national network and are not receiving sufficient funding to do so. In my opinion adding the regional road network to this would be a mistake as it would be a golden opportunity for government to do more "consolidation".

marno21 wrote:
    In an ideal world the road network would be receiving the funding required but at present the shortfall is nothing short of obscene. This is for steady state maintenance before any allocation for improvement is taken into account. The network is a shambles and if you look at any other developed country they have some sort of a network of decent roads. We can't even connect our 2nd and 3rd cities.

I fully agree with your point in regards to there not being enough funding. I just think that if TII were in charge of the same funding that the local authorities have, we could get far better value for money.

i have noticed actually a lot of regional roads are starting to fall in to disrepair. i drove the old N4 last week and couldn't believe how bad the surface has gone, seams like no repairs have being carried out in a while.

roadmaster wrote: »
    i have noticed actually a lot of regional roads are starting to fall in to disrepair. i drove the old N4 last week and couldn't believe how bad the surface has gone, seams like no repairs have being carried out in a while.

Which part of the old N4?

marno21 wrote: »
    Which part of the old N4?

Between Enfield and Clonard particularly is RAF

Even the N3 outside kells on the Eastbound lane there are potholes forming

This afternoon I got called to Cavan town for a meeting at the last second and would you believe in relation to my last post the entire length of the N3 Type 2 heading to cavan I noticed the wearing course is starting to unravel with very uneven surface so it's just not the Regionals that are being neglected for maintance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think this winter has been very hard on various rood surface. You've had frequent flooding, heavy rain coupled with very icy freezing conditions. Also traffic volumes are way up. Couple all this and many roads are worse for wear even ones that were relatively good pre-winter.

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Between Enfield and Clonard particularly is RAF

Even the N3 outside kells on the Eastbound lane there are potholes forming
    When the N4 was handed to the County Council to become the R148 it would be funded to be maintained at a certain level, but I'd imagine due to the large volume skipping the M4 toll that this section of R148 is getting more traffic than it would be maintained for, and there won't be anyone funding its upkeep.

When the N4 was handed to the County Council to become the R148 it would be funded to be maintained at a certain level, but I'd imagine due to the large volume skipping the M4 toll that this section of R148 is getting more traffic than it would be maintained for, and there won't be anyone funding its upkeep.
    Plus the fact that they don't want to road to be considered as an alternative route "unless you're a tourist"(who may stop and spend some dosh).

Thats a big problem from what i can see, simple volume. The M4 is bumper to bumper and the R148 is bumper to bumper not just with toll jumping but you have a lot of commuters who use it to get over to summerhill and trim areas etc where they are living.

I believe the M7 around the curragh got resurfaced about two years ago so i would imagine a lot of our primary network is due for resurfacing as they haven't being touched in 10 years or since they opened, was the the design surface on the motorways 10 or 15 years? The ones that used TSCS i would say would need to be resurfaced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

marno21 wrote:

marno21 wrote:

I fully agree with your point in regards to there not being enough funding. I just think that if TII were in charge of the same funding that the local authorities have, we could get far better value for money.
    There must be some savings in administration, procurement etc which using a centralised agency for regional roads could help with.
    The minor roads (and some of the main roads) around here in the north-east of England are in an awful state since the winter, they remind me of Irish roads from about 20 - 30 years ago.

I drove the old N6 between ballinasloe and loughrea today and it to is in bits . Will there be any funding for repairs in this capital plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Good news for the upcoming wave of capital investment projects. According to the Times, the Government is set to introduce an array of new restrictions on planning appeals. They have been adequately spooked by the Apple Athenry fiasco, and the consensus is now that there is definitely a group of judicial review cases that are simply abuse of the legal process. 

New rules proposed include requiring a person to show they are directly and materially affected by the project in question before they can appeal. "Environmental groups" will have to prove that they are not-for-profit, have active and ongoing work in the region, AND that they were set up at least three years prior to the planning application. Presumably this should help prevent anything similar to the A5 planning saga in Northern Ireland. Other tweaks including asking the courts to streamline the judicial review process and handle as much as possible without lengthy court hearings. 

Link is here (behind paywall, but you can access it if you use a private browser): https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/proposed-rules-aim-to-limit-court-challenges-to-building-projects-1.3382773

Good news for Ireland as a whole if these new rules get passed, and especially good news for capital investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

About time! :)

M20 definitively included in new Capital Plan.

€115bn in total over 10 years compared to €27bn in the present plan over 7 years.

Should hopefully get 5-6bn in new roads at least which will deliver quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The M20 has been name dropped so many times then I think its a given its going to be in a plan. The question now is about when and where the route is. Will be interesting what Dublin gets, Metro North is a given but DU is needed more imo.

€115 is for the national spacial strategy or is it for the Capital Development Plan alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

markodaly wrote: »
    The M20 has been name dropped so many times then I think its a given its going to be in a plan. The question now is about when and where the route is. Will be interesting what Dublin gets, Metro North is a given but DU is needed more imo.

€115 is for the national spacial strategy or is it for the Capital Development Plan alone?

They're calling it "The national development plan", but it is effectively the capital development plan, but didn't want non-Dublin area people thinking "capital" meant focusing on Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement