Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Delighted the M28 and Macroom have made it, at last there will be a half decent road to Kerry from Cork! The only really bad bit left will be Macroom-Ballincollig.

The M28 is great news as it was doubtful earlier on this summer if it was going to make it. Dunkettle is as we expected.

I presume the Galway bypass will also be included in today's announcement.

I am disappointed that there has been no mention of anything to do with the M20, but I shall wait for the full announcement before making any further comment. Cork has done OK thus far, it could have been a lot worse. Getting Adare bypassed is fantastic news as well, between this and Macroom Kerry has certainly done well for itself.

Yes but they are drastically needed, so the plans are not an extravagance nor a 'present' for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Kerry has certainly done well for itself.

Is there a road in Kerry getting an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

yayamark wrote: »
    Is there a road in Kerry getting an upgrade?

N86 if the locals would stop protesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M7 widening & Sallins bypass
    N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange
    N22 Ballyvourney / Macroom bypass
    N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin
    N5 Westport to Turlough
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties
    N56 Mountcharles to Inver
    N59 Moycullen bypass
    New bridge and approach roads in Sligo (Sligo western bypass?)

Other schemes will be progressed subject to planning including:
    Shannon Crossing Bridge at Killaloe
    N6 Galway By-Pass,
    N72 Mallow Relief Road
    N21 Adare By-Pass
    N2 Slane By-Pass
    N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy road (EU funded)
    N69 Shannon to Foynes road (EU funded)
    Athy Southern Distributor Road
    Portlaoise Southern Distributor Road
    Phase 4 of Dingle Relief road
    Laytown to Bettystown Link road.

Also included are the 3 PPPs, New Ross, Enniscorthy and Gort-Tuam

In addition, Roads will be upgraded into Grange Castle Business Park in West Dublin to provide access for a number of global industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

No N5 Turlough - Westport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Left that one out, included now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,893 ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties

Announced annually for about five and ten years respectively. Former has had ground investigation works etc completed (as well as an entire section completed!) and the latter has had the CPOs and demolition, possibly fencing done for ages.
    In addition, Roads will be upgraded into Grange Castle Business Park in West Dublin to provide access for a number of global industries.

The 'front' entrance is already a D2 with buslanes, and not heavily trafficked. They may be finally looking at fixing the awful R120 at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

N5 Westport to Turlough
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties
    N59 Moycullen bypass

N6 Galway By-Pass,
    N72 Mallow Relief Road
    N21 Adare By-Pass
    N2 Slane By-Pass

Is there a link to the full list? I can't find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

Poor list. Apart from the obvious major cheat of listing the Gort-Tuam motorway, it's very hard to see the strategy in many of those projects.

A truly strategic plan would have at least mentioned the M20 and N24.

• Advertisement

No. This is to be within the town, from the racecourse to IT Sligo roughly. It would take some traffic off the N4 I'd imagine but not enough to remove the need for the outer bypass.

N5 Westport to Turlough
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties
    N59 Moycullen bypass

N6 Galway By-Pass,
    N72 Mallow Relief Road
    N21 Adare By-Pass
    N2 Slane By-Pass

Overall, it's not a great roads plan. A lot of schemes won't have their full value extracted because a connecting element is missing.

Schemes confirmed:
    * M7 widening was always going to be included. Ideally this would include signage and education with regards to the 'keep left' rule which won't be followed.
    * Dunkettle was needed a long time ago, the sooner work starts on this the better.
    * Macroom/Ballyvourney is another overdue scheme, finally replacing the dangerous narrow S2 section as well as bypassing these two towns. Hopefully Macroom-N22 J3 is in the next programme.
    * N4 scheme replaces the worst section of the current N4. I presume this will be 2+2 to connect in with the current HQDC.
    * N5 Westport - Turlough, two major towns in a county connected, good to see.
    * The three secondary schemes won't be too expensive and will sort out incredibly dodgy sections of road in Donegal and a bottleneck in Galway.

My main issue here is there is nothing major in this list. The last one had 5 motorway/HQDC schemes, and one major interchange. This has 1 widening, 1 interchange, 3 2+2 schemes and 3 secondary schemes. The second batch, 'subject to planning' has far more important schemes (N28, N6 Galway, Adare, Slane)

Lack of other national primary schemes and N20/N24 schemes is very disappointing.

The bulk (definitely the dearest part) of the N56 Dungloe-Glenties scheme actually started construction in June - wasn't aware of that.

In the pdf but not on the DTTAS press release:

The Government remains supportive of the commitment under the St Andrews Agreement to co-fund the construction of the A5 through Northern Ireland to Derry, which will improve access to Derry and North Donegal. The timeframe for this project is dependent on planning issues which are currently being addressed by the Northern Ireland authorities. Once planning, timing and costs associated with this major scheme are settled, consideration will be given to funding implications within the overall Government capital plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

I'd rather they'd do the N5 from B'derreen to Stokestown first. Won't happen for quite a while I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

B17G wrote: »
    I'd rather they'd do the N5 from B'derreen to Stokestown first. Won't happen for quite a while I suspect.

they have to pick their way through the minefield of archaeology sites.

Would be much better if the linked the end of the Ballaghaderreen bypass to an upgraded N4 between Boyle and Roosky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The problem with any of those suggestions is that they're not in Enda or Michael Ring's constituency. In fairness the stats show that the N5 is busiest within Mayo, so there is a certain amount of (non-politically expedient) logic to doing this bit any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The current government probably won't be in power to decide which projects go ahead so I would take it like a grain of salt.

Its electioneering at its finest.

Big money needs to be invested but they are filling their promises with schemes that are cheap, already in construction and a few that are PPP funded.

Metro North, Dart Underground and the M20 are THE most critical projects right now and are all on the backburner yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well at least Metro North is in planning (I know that's a very different thing to actually doing something about it), and DART Underground is being revised to save money (which I think is bonkers, but at least it's still being planned). There's diddly squat about the M20, maybe by the time I'm 40 (13 years away) the M20 will have seen the light of day, not that I'm getting my hopes up on it mind you.

• Advertisement

Well at least Metro North is in planning (I know that's a very different thing to actually doing something about it), and DART Underground is being revised to save money (which I think is bonkers, but at least it's still being planned). There's diddly squat about the M20, maybe by the time I'm 40 (13 years away) the M20 will have seen the light of day, not that I'm getting my hopes up on it mind you.
    I'm 19 and I genuinely think my unborn children will be driving on the M20 before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

irishgeo wrote: »
    they have to pick their way through the minefield of archaeology sites.

Isn't the preferred route to stay well north of the current N5 avoiding the Rathcroghan complex as much as possible? It would be north of Strokestown too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Isn't the preferred route to stay well north of the current N5 avoiding the Rathcroghan complex as much as possible? It would be north of Strokestown too.
    Yes but there's loads more ancient sites there too. Just a bit less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well at least Metro North is in planning (I know that's a very different thing to actually doing something about it), and DART Underground is being revised to save money (which I think is bonkers, but at least it's still being planned).
    I'm cautiously happy that they've dropped that silly Luas from Cabra idea and are back to underground Metro North.
    The money saving ideas for DU aren't too shabby, a truncated scheme from Heuston to Pearse would still fulfil the objective we're trying to achieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Anyone know if the M7 widening & Sallins bypass includes the new motorway junction with the Naas - Sallins Road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It's in the wrong county! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Anyone know if the M7 widening & Sallins bypass includes the new motorway junction with the Naas - Sallins Road?

I assume so, they got planning as one scheme.

No, that's never planned. There'll be a junction with the Sallins bypass, though, at Osberstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

spacetweek wrote: »
    a truncated scheme from Heuston to Pearse would still fulfil the objective we're trying to achieve.

Isn't that the existing plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

At a glance none of these announced projects are shovel ready, or am I wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement