Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Capital Spending on Roads: 2016-2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

jd wrote: »
    Looks like Shane Ross found writing for the rag a bit easier
    Shane Ross does outrage. And that's it. Now that the windbag is actually expected to do something, he's been found out.

Hopefully he'll be dumped at the next election but it looks like we're going to have a wait a while for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    road funding should be massively diverted towards rail in the Dublin area at least, I would also argue that many schemes if they have to be put on hold, should be. Dublin the capital and the lifeblood to the rest of the economy, is grinding to a halt...

agreed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fully agree with the above. The M50 between the N3, N4 and N7 junctions (eg the planned for upgrade roads) can't take any more cars. No point in upgrading the M4 east of Kilcock if it's just going to result in a longer queue at the N4/M50 junction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭SeanW

road funding should be massively diverted towards rail in the Dublin area at least, I would also argue that many schemes if they have to be put on hold, should be. Dublin the capital and the lifeblood to the rest of the economy, is grinding to a halt...
    Agreed, Dart Underground and Metro North should be at the absolute top of the priority list, but the problem in my view is that capital spending is not sufficient. Transport is the life blood of a functioning economy and society, and ours is clogging to a halt. If funding is limited, Dublin rail should be at the top of the list, but other needs (such as the M20, and various local bypasses that would speed up long distance traffic and give towns back to their people) should also be funded as a matter of urgency.

SeanW wrote: »
    Agreed, Dart Underground and Metro North should be at the absolute top of the priority list, but the problem in my view is that capital spending is not sufficient. Transport is the life blood of a functioning economy and society, and ours is clogging to a halt. If funding is limited, Dublin rail should be at the top of the list, but other needs (such as the M20, and various local bypasses that would speed up long distance traffic and give towns back to their people) should also be funded as a matter of urgency.

M20 is not as important as spending on the capitals infrastructure , if money is limited it should all be spent in the capital for a few years

( and I dont live anywhere near the capital )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BoatMad wrote: »
    M20 is not as important as spending on the capitals infrastructure , if money is limited it should all be spent in the capital for a few years

people are dying on the N20 (and I don't live anywhere near Munster).

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Crazy theory :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is there a need for the DU though? I'd put the M20 and MN above it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

DU is a long overdue and critical piece of infrastructure linking the busiest intercity and suburban rail lines in the country. It's absolutely imperative for Dublin and the CBA is extremely favourable too.
    Mc Love wrote: »

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Let's not forget DART Underground also links Metro North with the Heuston line meaning easy access to the airport from Waterford, Galway, Cork, Limerick, Tralee and Westport.

People underestimate the importance of DART Underground, the current GDA rail network is a joke between issues such as Heuston not linking to the other lines or the city centre and the general congestion around Connolly and across the Loopline bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Metro North just brings commuters from North of the city into the city centre, vitally important. It doesn't link things together as well as DART Underground though.

Are you joking?! The revised metro north is likely to hook up with current green line at ranelagh where it will surface from a tunnel. At that stage, the new extension from cherrywood to bray will likely be open or under construction. This line will run potentially from northern line to bray in south connecting mass population centres, business campus, an airport serving near 30,000,000 this yea and not to mention all the trip generators in city centre. It should take a lot of traffic off m50. I'd prefer it to start before dart underground...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I'd prefer it(metro north) to start before dart underground...

I'd prefer them both to start yesterday.

Which is more important is a moot point - they're good projects that are well worth the investment and both are needed urgently.

I think we're guilty of just looking at a couple of things and thinking one or the other.
    We need x, y and z but by the time they get pushed through the sludge of moaning we're left with "we're doing x, sure that'll do", "isn't it great we're getting it, that'll solve all our problems".

By the time x is finally built, we're left with the reality that in spite of all the blowing and panting, we haven't even kept up with where we were when we started.

Rinse and repeat, with extra spin cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

According to Paschal Donohue, there will be a Capital Spending Review and he will announce a new programme for capital spending next year.

The only roads schemes he mentioned are the ongoing PPP schemes from Gort to Tuam (M18/M17), the Gorey to Enniscorthy M11 scheme and the New Ross bypass (N25).

He hasn't announced any new spending on major road schemes today, although he mentioned an increase in spending on non-national roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

According to Paschal Donohue, there will be a Capital Spending Review and he will announce a new programme for capital spending next year.

The only roads schemes he mentioned are the ongoing PPP schemes from Gort to Tuam (M18/M17), the Gorey to Enniscorthy M11 scheme and the New Ross bypass (N25).

He hasn't announced any new spending on major road schemes today, although he mentioned an increase in spending on non-national roads.

So basically nothing new!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    So basically nothing new!

To be fair, i don't think they were going to announce that they were building the M20 or anything like that today. They'd leave an announcement like that until the Mid Term Review, which Noonan has said will be early 2017 now

Deedsie wrote: »
    He also mentioned DART Expansion and Metro North.
    I didn't realise they were roads.

Note: see thread title...
    Government Roads Programme to be announced soon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's ok to talk about things that aren't roads for 5 seconds considering there is a single Minister for Transport and it's budget day.

Dart Expansion, metro north, M17, Enniscorthy and New Ross are all in the bag. We want to hear about new things not reannouncements!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Mc Love wrote: »

DU is more important than MN. DU will benefit the entire rail network

Are you joking?! The revised metro north is likely to hook up with current green line at ranelagh where it will surface from a tunnel. At that stage, the new extension from cherrywood to bray will likely be open or under construction. This line will run potentially from northern line to bray in south connecting mass population centres, business campus, an airport serving near 30,000,000 this yea and not to mention all the trip generators in city centre. It should take a lot of traffic off m50. I'd prefer it to start before dart underground...

First I'm hearing of these plans apart from the crayon threads elsewhere here. I have heard nothing official about mn surfacing in ranelagh or a new Luas extention

Deedsie wrote: »
    Metro South will run from Stephens green and run along (parts if not all) of the Luas green line. How that makes Metro North a more important project to DART Expansion I am unsure.

MS. Great I'd love a trip to Bray in 2060 on the opening day of MS to celebrate my 80th. I thought we were discussing semi realistic as in the next 15-20 years not a pipe dream's pipe dream

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we get back to Government Capital spending on ROADS, please.

DU and MN have their own threads - also there have been no announcements of any substance on them for some time.

Mod: Can we get back to Government Capital spending on ROADS, please.

DU and MN have their own threads - also there have been no announcements of any substance on them for some time.

Very little need at present to build more rural motorways. Most have spindrift blowing down them at times. All expenditure should concentrate on the GDA for the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Very little need at present to build more rural motorways. Most have spindrift blowing down them at times. All expenditure should concentrate on the GDA for the next 5-10 years.
    You really think the M20 doesn't need to be built? You obviously don't travel Cork->Limerick very often ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭SeanW

On roads the M20 is badly needed. There are also needs for small town bypasses, Slane being one I can think of off the top of my head, towns on the N4 and N5, numerous secondary roads.

serfboard wrote: »
    You really think the M20 doesn't need to be built? You obviously don't travel Cork->Limerick very often ...
    A certain type of Dub doesn't seem to realise that the Cork to Limerick route is the most important (and the most deficient) part of a route that connects, Cork, Limerick, Shannon, Ennis, Galway, Sligo, Co.Donegal (including Letterkenny) and Derry.

The concept of 'rural motorways' is rather strange.

What motorway in Ireland has been built primarily to connect the rural areas through which it passes to each other?

It's like claiming that the M1 in England is a 'rural motorway' because it passes through rural areas for most of its length.

Weird nonsense...

SeanW wrote: »
    On roads the M20 is badly needed. There are also needs for small town bypasses, Slane being one I can think of off the top of my head, towns on the N4 and N5, numerous secondary roads.

Slane, Adare, Macroom, New Ross (under construction), Borrisokane, the entire M20, Inishannon, Bandon, Charlestown (N17), Tobercurry, Ballybofey, Stranorlar, Carrick-on-Shannon, Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Virginia, Galway, along with relief roads for a few national secondaries.

There's no bottlenecks left on the N5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

marno21 wrote: »
    Slane, Adare, Macroom, New Ross (under construction), Borrisokane, the entire M20, Inishannon, Bandon, Charlestown (N17), Tobercurry, Ballybofey, Stranorlar, Carrick-on-Shannon, Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Virginia, Galway, along with relief roads for a few national secondaries.

There's no bottlenecks left on the N5

the rest of the road through roscommon, it might not be a bottleneck but its not National primary route standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

I have a sneaky suspicion that shovel ready N5 will get the nod from EK;)

A certain type of Dub doesn't seem to realise that the Cork to Limerick route is the most important (and the most deficient) part of a route that connects, Cork, Limerick, Shannon, Ennis, Galway, Sligo, Co.Donegal (including Letterkenny) and Derry.
    Maybe there are a certain type of Dub but your real 'enemy' here is the 'we need to bypass every town and village and upgraded every road' brigade before we'll worry about those city slickers of Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway variety.

• Advertisement

Maybe there are a certain type of Dub but your real 'enemy' here is the 'we need to bypass every town and village and upgraded every road' brigade before we'll worry about those city slickers of Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway variety.
    I don't know which roads you're talking about, but I was talking about the M20...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement