Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Front Camera Crescent

Options
  • 10-06-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone else got the crescent issue with their iPhone 6 front camera? If so, what did you do about it?

I bought my phone from the Apple Store back in Feb. my current thinking is to leave it until a few weeks before the warranty runs out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

SachaJ wrote: »
    just wondering has anyone else got the crescent issue with their iPhone 6 front camera? If so, what did you do about it?

I bought my phone from the Apple Store back in Feb. my current thinking is to leave it until a few weeks before the warranty runs out.

Seems to be an issue alright on the earlier iPhone 6 space greys. From what I have read on the apple support forums apple, are willing to replace the screen or the whole unit. As we have no apple stores in this country, I think your best bet is to contact support and let them look after it. Just before the warranty runs out as you say.

By the way, was this problem on your phone from day1 or did it gradually happen ? I just got a new IP6 a week ago in space grey and so far it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Flaccus wrote: »
    Seems to be an issue alright on the earlier iPhone 6 space greys. From what I have read on the apple support forums apple, are willing to replace the screen or the whole unit. As we have new apple stores in this country, I think your best bet is to contact support and let them look after it. Just before the warranty runs out as you say.

By the way, was this problem on your phone from day1 or did it gradually happen ? I just got a new IP6 a week ago in space grey and so far it's ok.

No the phone was grand when I got it and it's developed over time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They've replaced the screen on mine twice, both times fixing the crescent. But since then it's come back again and I'm reluctant to pester them again for another screen...or another device. It doesn't seem to affect the camera at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

same issue here, not affecting the camera yet but i'll get it fixed before 1 year is up.

Quick update on this. Mine moved again, for the third time, and this time it was pretty bad. I went to Apple and the guy on the Genius Bar told me they got an email saying that anyone who came in with this issue would get their phones replaced on the spot...which they did. Good job Apple!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've had this 5 times now. 4 new screens and one whole new phone. Still happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does it effect pictures/video taken by the camera? I've heard conflicting reports about whether it does or not.

Does it effect pictures/video taken by the camera? I've heard conflicting reports about whether it does or not.

For me it has absolutely no effect that I can see on the Facetime camera. It's purely cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh I'm looking to send mine back soon to before the warranty is out. I have it ages. By the looks of things. It's not a permanent fix.

What's the story with the warranty after one year? If it happens again. Would this be deemed a defect that was present when purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I seen this thread back when it was first started and looked at my phone and it was fine, Now i look at it since Zcott updated and see there a slight cresent on it, Its nothing to worry about as the facetime cam is still ok but if its to effect me after the warrenty ill try and get it changed,

My issue is i got mine in new york last october, Whats the story with walking into the belfast store and telling them its non eu phone?

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    My issue is i got mine in new york last october, Whats the story with walking into the belfast store and telling them its non eu phone?

The Genius working there told me that even water-damaged phones were being replaced no problem, so I doubt you'd have much of an issue with a non-EU phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Anyone sent there iPhone away for this problem also do you get a new iPhone or do you get your own iPhone back? (I don't particularly want someone else's refurb :/ )
    And what's the turn around time like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Anyone sent there iPhone away for this problem also do you get a new iPhone or do you get your own iPhone back? (I don't particularly want someone else's refurb :/ )
    And what's the turn around time like?

Done the same myself with this problem sent back and sent a new phone I paid for the express replacement service cost €29 same day replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

I recently had an iPhone 6+ replaced under the express service ( about 2 months ago )

I am noticing the crescent on the front camera. It has no effect on selfies or FaceTime but I can see there being an issue with resale value down the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'd hazard a guess that you could be due a free replacement or repair even if the warranty has run out and you've had this issue already. It's obviously a defect at time of delivery, which allows you to make a claim under the Sales of Goods act.

They'll replace it again if you ask. And it seems to have been fixed with the most recent batch, because mine is fine now, two months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

have booked mine to be sent off. what was the turn around for regular service?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

shanec1928 wrote: »
    have booked mine to be sent off. what was the turn around for regular service?

I've just done the same. Took delivery of the box today

It's around 7 days in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Apple replaced my iPhone via express replacement without any question. That crescent effect was absolutely wrecking my head and only became noticeable after about three weeks of ownership.

After having this new phone five weeks now I have my fingers crossed that the issue has been resolved.

• Advertisement

29euro for Express replacement unless you have Apple Care. Joke!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

why is it a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's a bargain if anything.

godtabh wrote: »
    why is it a joke?
    Amazon do this for free on all electronics up to 12 months. They replace and you have 30 days to send back the defective item. Same goes for Fire tablets etc.
    guil wrote: »
    It's a bargain if anything.
    Not when they already put a hold of 700euro (or the cost of the device) on your card. No issue with the hold on the card, but the 29euro is unnecessary.

Phone sent in for repair. Report back from apple states it cant replicate the phone powering itself off. WTF?

Being sent back now. Will likely have to be returned. Total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Phone sent in for repair. Report back from apple states it cant replicate the phone powering itself off. WTF?

Being sent back now. Will likely have to be returned. Total joke.
    mine still to be collected. Ups Classify the sligo as being "remote".. I had a fear of that happening to mine so i just spoke directly to a supervisor and made sure a note was made on the issue that the device would be replaced.

the 6 Plus was recalled. You can check your serial number to see if you are elligible. Checked mine and got the following:
    The serial number you entered is not eligible under this program because either:
    - It’s not in the affected serial number range.
    - Our records show that your iSight camera has already been replaced.
    - Our records show it’s no longer eligible for a free replacement under this program. If you have questions, please contact Apple.

So maybe they did something

the 6 Plus was recalled. You can check your serial number to see if you are elligible. Checked mine and got the following:

So maybe they did something

The iSight camera is the back one. The front one is called the FaceTime camera.

The iSight camera is the back one. The front one is called the FaceTime camera.

Didnt realize there was a distinction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've had my grey 6+ for about 4-5 months now and only in the last couple of weeks have notices a small crescent appearing in the front camera. I have apple care and guess I'll get it replaced at some point. Bit of a pain in the arse though. Given this one took months to manifest, are folk confident that replacement devices wont do the same?

Advertisement