Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Front Camera Crescent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have the Crescent issue and I just checked the serial number about the recall issue and was told:

"The serial number you entered is eligible for this program. Please choose one of the service options below."

Happy out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Hi.

How did it work after you logged it online? Had you bought direct from Apple in the first place? I bought mine from Three, but I would be very reluctant to go through their repair service.

I'm debating whether to get mine repaired/replaced at the moment. It has the crescent (has had since day one, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse), and it's not affecting the phone usage, but I'd still rather get it done in case it gets worse outside of warranty. My warranty is up in mid-Feb.

How long from logging it did it take before it was picked up and replaced? (I'm assuming that logging online leads to the courier pick-up/replacement route). Did you have to use a credit card to get a faster service?

The only thing putting me off getting it done is the fear of being without the phone for ages.

Logging online I received a replacement within about 4 days. I sent mine back as soon as I got the replacement.

They reserve a charge on your debit/card for the value of the phone until they receive your original phone back. Only charged if they don't receive it.

Log with Apple asap, I found them very good.

I bought mine from Apple but should not matter. It falls within their warranty period.

As above user said, my phone worked fine also but I was concerned that it would get worse and block the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

smash wrote: »
    I have the Crescent issue and I just checked the serial number about the recall issue and was told:

"The serial number you entered is eligible for this program. Please choose one of the service options below."

Happy out! :)

Where did you find that recall program?

Triangla wrote: »
    Logging online I received a replacement within about 4 days. I sent mine back as soon as I got the replacement.

They reserve a charge on your debit/card for the value of the phone until they receive your original phone back. Only charged if they don't receive it.

Log with Apple asap, I found them very good.

I bought mine from Apple but should not matter. It falls within their warranty period.

As above user said, my phone worked fine also but I was concerned that it would get worse and block the camera.

Great, so you were not without a phone at any stage?

Where did you find that recall program?

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-isightcamera/

I'm trying to do it online here but since I posted the last message I've been staring at a screen that says "Your chat session will begin shortly. We’ll be with you in about 2 minutes."

• Advertisement

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-isightcamera/

I'm trying to do it online here but since I posted the last message I've been staring at a screen that says "Your chat session will begin shortly. We’ll be with you in about 2 minutes."

That's a different issue. That's for the rear camera on the 6 Plus.

The crescent issue is on the front camera.

That's a different issue. That's for the rear camera on the 6 Plus.

The crescent issue is on the front camera.
    I know that. I have the crescent issue, but wanted to see if the serial number was part of the other recall issue too. And it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hey all,

sorry for hijacking; I bought an iPhone 6 for the girlfriend at WWDC last year, I've just noticed that her phone has this crescent (admittedly she has dropped it from quite decent heights in an otterbox though so no screen cracks).

would the store in belfast fix this under warranty or otherwise? thinking of taking the journey up but don't want it to be wasted.

I know that. I have the crescent issue, but wanted to see if the serial number was part of the other recall issue too. And it is.

Cool. You might get lucky so, and get a whole new unit under the recall program instead of just a replaced rear camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

hey all,

sorry for hijacking; I bought an iPhone 6 for the girlfriend at WWDC last year, I've just noticed that her phone has this crescent (admittedly she has dropped it from quite decent heights in an otterbox though so no screen cracks).

would the store in belfast fix this under warranty or otherwise? thinking of taking the journey up but don't want it to be wasted.

They should do, as they told me they were even replacing water damaged phones with this issue.

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    They should do, as they told me they were even replacing water damaged phones with this issue.

Is it an over the counter replacement there and then? I'd consider a spin to Belfast, but it would be waste of time if they just said "leave it with us and we'll get a new one couriered to you in a few days"

ROI desperately needs an Apple store. I've emailed compub to ask them if they deal with recalls. You'd assume that being an Apple premium reseller they would, but my gut is telling me they wont.

ROI desperately needs an Apple store. I've emailed compub to ask them if they deal with recalls. You'd assume that being an Apple premium reseller they would, but my gut is telling me they wont.

Let us know what they say. I called in to the Galway store yesterday to ask the same question but it was mental busy and I hadn't the time to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is it an over the counter replacement there and then? I'd consider a spin to Belfast, but it would be waste of time if they just said "leave it with us and we'll get a new one couriered to you in a few days"

AFAIK most Apple Stores (legit Apple retail stores) can replace screens, think it takes 90 minutes.

I was just more concerned that the phone was bought in San Francisco and I'm attempting to get it repaired under warranty in an different country.

damn straight we do, every time I have the pleasure of buying something in an Apple Store I always leave with a grin on my face and saying to myself "why can't all stores be like this?" CompuB only do repairs/service on macs they don't touch iOS devices :(

CompuB only do repairs/service on macs they don't touch iOS devices :(

But do they cover warranty issues that involve replacement units?

Good news from CompuB

"We do in fact honour Apple recall issues for things like this."

I'm going to call in over the weekend and see what they can do for me.

Yep, it's there and then. If you're worried, phone them and ask first.

Good news from CompuB

"We do in fact honour Apple recall issues for things like this."

I'm going to call in over the weekend and see what they can do for me.

Great. Do you reckon they'll repair just the rear camera for you or give you a new unit?

Would be interesting to know what they'd do just for the crescent issue.

Great. Do you reckon they'll repair just the rear camera for you or give you a new unit?

Would be interesting to know what they'd do just for the crescent issue.
    They told me if it's out of warranty and I have a receipt then they should still be able to do something under EU consumer law. Considering it has two issues and one is a recall I'd say a new unit. I bought it through Vodafone so I'm actually going to get on to them first about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

CompuB only do repairs/service on macs they don't touch iOS devices :(

They don't touch iPhones. They are an authorised service provider for other iOS devices though (iPod, iPad).

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    They don't touch iPhones. They are an authorised service provider for other iOS devices though (iPod, iPad).

They do deal with warranty issues though.

Just an update:

I got chatting to Apple Support just now, and they did a check.....turns out my local CompuB in Galway IS an iPhone service centre. I called the shop and they said they can handle it, usually a same-day service. They were aware of the issue and said it's a simple fix: the camera itself is fine, but there's a little disc around it that has slipped and it's just a matter of either realigning the disc or taking it out altogether.

It will probably be next week before I get a chance to drop it in, but I'll update again afterwards.

Just an update:

I got chatting to Apple Support just now, and they did a check.....turns out my local CompuB in Galway IS an iPhone service centre. I called the shop and they said they can handle it, usually a same-day service. They were aware of the issue and said it's a simple fix: the camera itself is fine, but there's a little disc around it that has slipped and it's just a matter of either realigning the disc or taking it out altogether.

It will probably be next week before I get a chance to drop it in, but I'll update again afterwards.

Apple in Belfast did that fix twice for me before replacing the phone entirely. Hopefully you'll have better luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Zcott wrote: »
    Apple in Belfast did that fix twice for me before replacing the phone entirely. Hopefully you'll have better luck...

When I went up. They asked did I want it repaired or replaced.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    When I went up. They asked did I want it repaired or replaced.

I doubt compub in Galway will offer a replacement if it's an easy repair job, but we'll see. I'd say the "proper" Apple store in Belfast has more discretion on things like this.

Quick update:

Dropped my phone into CompuB around lunch time on Monday

Got an email after an hour or so to say that they were ordering a replacement unit, instead of repairing it. Told that replacement unit should be delivered next day.

Called them on Tuesday to find out that it hadn't arrived.

They called me around lunch time today to say it was there for me.

Couldn't fault the service. I'd say if I had dropped it in earlier on Monday it might very well have been a next-day delivery of the new handset.

There is no sign of a crescent on the new phone, and the guy there said that Apple had fixed whatever manufacturing glitch was causing it. The new handset is covered by 90 warranty, even though the original 12 month warranty is out in a few weeks.

Well done CompuB and Apple. Very happy. Probably could have been done over the counter in Belfast, but not worth the spin up from Galway unless I had time on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Was going to be in Belfast at the weekend, so I made a Genius Bar appointment, hoping they might fix my iPhone 6 front-facing camera crescent. The genius said sure, they could do it in an hour, but it would cost £79. (The phone was bought in November 2014, so it's out of warranty.) The response was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. She suggested I take it up with Three, as consumer protection requires them to cover faults that crop up in the the first two years. Has anyone done this? I assume Three will take the phone for a few weeks, which isn't really feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I connect now do warranty repairs also and are recognised to do so by Apple.

http://i-connect.ie/our-stores

iniall wrote: »
    Was going to be in Belfast at the weekend, so I made a Genius Bar appointment, hoping they might fix my iPhone 6 front-facing camera crescent. The genius said sure, they could do it in an hour, but it would cost £79. (The phone was bought in November 2014, so it's out of warranty.) The response was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. She suggested I take it up with Three, as consumer protection requires them to cover faults that crop up in the the first two years. Has anyone done this? I assume Three will take the phone for a few weeks, which isn't really feasible.

I stand to be corrected on this, but AFAIK, 3 send android phones off on a wild goose chase of (incompetent in my experience) local service centres and uk ones if necessary. That, as you say, can take weeks. I know from experience.

However, with Apple, I am fairly sure that they send the phone directly back to Apple for work. I'm basing on this on what I was told over the counter in the 3 shop in Galway about a year ago when I bought the phone. I asked about what to do if the phone had a fault and the salesperson said something like "bring it back to us if you like, but to be honest you're better off contacting Apple because if you give it to us, we'll just be sending it to Apple anyway."

For out of warranty work, it might be different, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Well I think (hope) Three are still obliged to fix the issue, which would mean sending it to Apple, but with Three paying the £75 instead of me. The big question for me is how long I'd be without the phone. It's a shame, given that it's apparently a manufacturing issue, that Apple don't pony up and repair all affected phones.

Advertisement