Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Front Camera Crescent

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

iniall wrote: »
    Well I think (hope) Three are still obliged to fix the issue, which would mean sending it to Apple, but with Three paying the £75 instead of me. The big question for me is how long I'd be without the phone. It's a shame, given that it's apparently a manufacturing issue, that Apple don't pony up and repair all affected phones.

Ask 3 for a realistic timeframe for replacing the phone. They will know this because it's a well known issue. If they say a few days, then it's similar to my experience and is probably as good as it gets. If they mention 3rd party repair centres and a couple of weeks, I'd nearly pay the €79 and let Apple do it. Apple will give you a refurb phone rather than just a new camera, so you're getting practically a brand new handset for the money. That includes a new battery. It's not a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Ask 3 for a realistic timeframe for replacing the phone. They will know this because it's a well known issue. If they say a few days, then it's similar to my experience and is probably as good as it gets. If they mention 3rd party repair centres and a couple of weeks, I'd nearly pay the €79 and let Apple do it. Apple will give you a refurb phone rather than just a new camera, so you're getting practically a brand new handset for the money. That includes a new battery. It's not a bad deal.

The genius in Belfast on Saturday only said they would replace the screen (and presumably the slipped camera ring) and the work would take an hour. Tempted, but £79 (about €101) seemed a little excessive, considering it's a manufacturing fault. I'll talk to Three and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

iniall wrote: »
    The genius in Belfast on Saturday only said they would replace the screen (and presumably the slipped camera ring) and the work would take an hour. Tempted, but £79 (about €101) seemed a little excessive, considering it's a manufacturing fault. I'll talk to Three and see what they say.

Might be worth asking your local CompuB store too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Has anyone got this done when covered under the 2 year warranty? Mine is over a year old and the camera has moved again. I'd like to sell it on with the camera corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Has anyone got this done when covered under the 2 year warranty? Mine is over a year old and the camera has moved again. I'd like to sell it on with the camera corrected.

As I mentioned above, I recently took my iPhone 6 to the Apple Store in Belfast with the front facing camera crescent problem. I've had the phone since November 2014, so it's out of its 12-month warranty. Apple told me they wouldn't repair it for free, but if I took it to Three (from whom I purchased it), they would, under the two-year warranty they're obliged to honour. So, I presume Three will take the phone and send it Apple, who will repair it and send it back to Three. My concern is how long I'll be without a phone. I haven't had a chance to speak to Three about it yet, but I'll update here when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What two year warranty? The only warranty you have is the manufacturers warranty which covers you for one year.

The store are referring to your consumer rights which are documented here:

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Claim period: 6 years from date of original sale.

Worth noting: "Under Irish consumer law, any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

FourFourFM wrote: »
    What two year warranty? The only warranty you have is the manufacturers warranty which covers you for one year.

The store are referring to your consumer rights which are documented here:

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Claim period: 6 years from date of original sale.

Worth noting: "Under Irish consumer law, any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer."

I'm not very sure of the specifics. It's an EU law as far as I'm aware. Apple got fined in Italy for either misleading customers or not honouring it.

I think it's this here. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=URISERV:l32022

I think you have to prove that the defect was there from when you purchased it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's basically the same thing. The EU directive is a minimum level of protection which member states must have in their own consumer laws. Which Irish law does. In fact, Irish law actually offers greater protection since you have up to 6 years to claim.

While the "2 year EU warranty" might be helpful shorthand to use with some retailers who are ignorant of Irish law, in the event of a claim you'll be claiming under Irish law not the EU directive, which is only binding on member states rather than retailers.

The use of the term "warranty" in the EU directive creates a lot of confusion as its a term more commonly associated with manufacturer warranties. It's better to think of it as a guarantee.

In other words, forget about the EU and focus on Irish law.

Apple's own page on Irish consumer law is pretty clear cut. Afaik all the burden of proof after 6 months means in practice is that the retailer doesn't have to help you track down or resolve the problem. They can just shrug at you and wait for you to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Back here myself in the same place.... I had the phone replaced within the year under warranty and the one they replaced it with is now showing the crescent. Was onto Apple earlier and they said the 1 year warranty from the first phone ended 240 days ago. Doesn't sound like there's much I can do.

Advertisement