Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 JC Science - all levels - June 11th 2015***

Options
  • 10-06-2015 8:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For discussion of the exams AFTER they have been held.

Please indicate which level paper you are talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Think I got an A. I thought the physics was the easiest, followed by chemistry and then biology. The only iffy thing was when it asked you the experimental error with the titration. I said the base was not measured, but Ive got no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Mldj wrote: »
    Think I got an A. I thought the physics was the easiest, followed by chemistry and then biology. The only iffy thing was when it asked you the experimental error with the titration. I said the base was not measured, but Ive got no idea.

Also thought it was easy. I'd say you're right with the titration. Think I also got an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ylroy

I had a memory block about the vein and the artery which was one of the easiest questions but I wasn't able to answer it. I think I lost 14 marks for that, most of the questions were easy but I don't think I'll get an A. I would be disappointed if I didn't get a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

Mldj wrote:

Yeah that's what I said. I couldn't see anything else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭patrickLouth1

haiyna wrote: »
    Such an easy exam. Confident that I got all the questions right!

BTW, the thing that was wrong with the titration was that the indicator was in the base before any acid was added in. The student did everything else correctly.

I agree with you i think the only thing i got wrong was that the release of energy fom food was respiration not diegestion

• Advertisement

I thought the base and indicator are ment to be added together before any acid is added but there is no proof the student measured the base.

I thought the base and indicator are ment to be added together before any acid is added but there is no proof the student measured the base.

I thought this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

Yeah that's what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Niamho.xx

I didn't know so I just said that there was no white tile underneath even though I'm not sure if that's completely necessary . Then afterwards I thought maybe the valve was open but I'm not sure if that's what they were looking for!

Niamho.xx wrote: »
    I didn't know so I just said that there was no white tile underneath even though I'm not sure if that's completely necessary . Then afterwards I thought maybe the valve was open but I'm not sure if that's what they were looking for!

I answered it was above eye level. Since the burette was almost full, I wouldnt be able to see the graduation on it. Maybe it's just me because I'm not that tall but that's the first thing that came to my mind. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Niamho.xx

ylroy wrote: »
    I answered it was above eye level. Since the burette was almost full, I wouldnt be able to see the graduation on it. Maybe it's just me because I'm not that tall but that's the first thing that came to my mind. Haha

True! Didn't think of that ;o then again I didn't find the overall exam particularly easy and science is one of my bests so.. Oh well ;L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminding members not to comment on other people's posts in such a way as could be seen as bullying. Just because an exam may not have gone well for you, do not try and make people for whom it did go well feel bad.

Niamho.xx wrote:
    True! Didn't think of that ;o then again I didn't find the overall exam particularly easy and science is one of my bests so.. Oh well ;L

Niamho.xx wrote:

The white tile was in the diagram in the book so you probably got marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 greenwhale

Science was okay, I thought. A lot of the chapters I focused on came up, especially in Biology. For the titration, I put down the burette needed to be clamped by a retort stand (I know, what even?) I made a few other silly mistakes. Hopefully, if I get good marks on my project I'll get an A, but most likely it will be a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 james_jog99

What was the answer to the egg question about cooking it. I didn't rly know so I guessed something to do with less air in higher altitudes and that would effect the heat transfer to the egg but I think that was probably miles off 😥

What was the answer to the egg question about cooking it. I didn't rly know so I guessed something to do with less air in higher altitudes and that would effect the heat transfer to the egg but I think that was probably miles off ��

I said that less atmospheric pressure lowers the boiling point of water. The egg would be at a lower temperature, and would take longer to cook. I don't know if it's right though.

greenwhale wrote: »
    I said that less atmospheric pressure lowers the boiling point of water. The egg would be at a lower temperature, and would take longer to cook. I don't know if it's right though.

Pressure increases with depth, the higher you go the more time it takes to boil an egg. More pressure less time it would need to boil an egg. That's what I thought so haha

greenwhale wrote: »
    Science was okay, I thought. A lot of the chapters I focused on came up, especially in Biology. For the titration, I put down the burette needed to be clamped by a retort stand (I know, what even?) I made a few other silly mistakes. Hopefully, if I get good marks on my project I'll get an A, but most likely it will be a B.

That's what I was hoping for aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

In the acid-base diagram the fault was that a beaker was used instead of a conical flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Twinklingaoife

Thought the paper was pretty okay overall. For the titration I said that the bottom of the burrette hadn't been filled as well which was apart of the measurement of the burrette. The question on the road on the physics caught me out

• Advertisement

Thought the paper was pretty okay overall. For the titration I said that the bottom of the burrette hadn't been filled as well which was apart of the measurement of the burrette. The question on the road on the physics caught me out

I know, I hadn't a clue about the road either.

I think it's because solids expand when heated and this would put pressure on the road? Something like that anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

gazump123 wrote:
    I think it's because solids expand when heated and this would put pressure on the road? Something like that anyways.

I said that too. The solid expands in the heat but it has nothing to expand into therefore too much pressure is put on it ultimately making it crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

I thought about this, but we used phenolphthalein when we were doing this experiment and its meant to be added at the very start. Thought this question was confusing.

Advertisement