Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did my brain defeat me?

Options
  • 10-06-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

made a slight error in the gym this evening i put on what i thought was 85kg to see if i could get a new pb in my squat. thought it felt heavy but knocked out 4 reps rested knocked out 4 2 sets left... was about to tuck under the bar for 3rd set when i realised ops that's actually 95kg on the bar. my mind frame changed totally was freaked thinking how will i get a 3rd set but went for it and got the full 4 reps with good form. was telling myself i will never get the last set of 4. tucked under bar went down for the 3rd rep and had to bail... i just wonder if i hadn't of noticed the weight was wrong would i have got those last 2 reps or did my brain defeat me....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You were probably overthinking it, but could have been fatigued.

However, if 85kg was supposed to be a PB, and you were able to get the reps out with an extra 10kg. Then you are probably really selling yourself short with the squat.

Where are your other lifts?
    Bodyweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Mellor wrote: »
    You were probably overthinking it, but could have been fatigued.

However, if 85kg was supposed to be a PB, and you were able to get the reps out with an extra 10kg. Then you are probably really selling yourself short with the squat.

Where are your other lifts?
    Bodyweight?

bodyweight 97.5kg
    bench 80kg
    deadlift 130kg
    push press 50kg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your PB was 80kg before the last session, I'd say you were good for 95kg and more. I'd expect it to be around 100-110kg based on the above.
    Probably overthinking and holding back subconsciously. Which explains why 95kg went up.

Nect time warm up then take a shot at 100kg.
    Something like;
    20kg x 8
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 4

Advertisement