Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbox not turning over

Options
  • 10-06-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

So I got some upgrades, 13:1 gears, speed trigger, high torque motor and a new piston. All of them work great but when I put the motor grip on I press the trigger and all i hear is a click from the motor I believe then nothing. I held the trigger for about 3 seconds on an 11.1 just to see if it was locked but then I stopped as the 11.1 was getting hot and to no avail. Could it possibly be shimmed too tight? I was trying to get a good mesh and ended up with about 2 mm of height of shims on one side of the sector and at least 2mm on one side of the bevel, any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Hey
    Check your motor connectors are on the correct way. As in positive to positive etc. An easy and very common mistake.
    2mm of shims is a huge amount. In all the time I have been working on aegs I have never had to shim that amount. In fact I can't think of a gb and gear combo that would require that amount.
    shims are normally 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 or 0.5mm.
    I would definately recheck your gb if you think yours are at 2mm.
    best to shim one gear at a time and screw the gb together. It is tempting to just hold it by hand but the gb should really be properly torqued down.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jty0yt

I was holding it by hand so I will definitely try that! Also the motor works perfectly as I have tested it out of the grip so I don't think it's the connectors but I will double check. I have used around 10 - 15 shims so I think it is way to much! I will go re shim it with less and then see how it works out! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

I understand you tested the motor out of the grip, but the motor will work when it has no load no matter what way around you connect the cables!
    In the grip is a different story, if you connect the wrong way it will turn the wrong way and the ARL will lock everything.

Put it together again with onl the gears and trigger assembly, the gears rotate fine on their own if i push them with a screwdriver but the motor makes the clicking sound! Might be bevel and pinion engagement
    (I sent you a vid Rooky with the sound of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

How do the gears feel when you are turning them when adjusting the shims?

• Advertisement

The gears rotate perfectly, I can use a screwdriver to rotate the sector and I can see the bushings moving of the bevel. There are no grinding sounds and they are easy and fluid to rotate. It has to be something to do with the engagement of the pinion and bevel!?! I can't adjust motor height for some reason as the screw doesn't budge a bit (G&P Magpul MOE grip)

Wait... would it not be working because I didn't have the anti reversal latch installed when I was running the tests with the gears only?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Shs 13:1 gears? I have found in the past with some gearbox shells they catch in the gearbox itself, a little bit of dremeling of the gearbox itself sorted the problem.

Yep SHS 13:1 , where did they catch? But they rotate fine without the motor in !?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

The spur gear was catching in the right hand gearbox shell if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

Try a more powerful battery.

Advertisement