Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop HDD on a PC

Options
  • 11-06-2015 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I was just wondering can any harm come from using my laptop HDD on my new PC until I get a product key of Windows and if so would it be able to preform pretty well? I'm only planning to use it for a week or so. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It may not boot because Windows will be set up for different hardware, and if you've a retail copy it'll only work with that laptop

If it comes to it, burn and install Ubuntu to get you by, you can game with most games on Ubuntu if you've a library already

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Matty99

I can't find anything about this Windows trial online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I dunno why people think it won't work. I've done this a few times.

Depending on the laptop you can run into problems with drivers and the like, but most of the times I've tried it, the first boot Windows goes nuts finding a load of new hardware and installing drivers for it, and has itself sorted out by the time it boots again.

The only downside to this is that when your new PC comes along you'll have a bunch off extra drivers installed on your laptop drive which won't be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    I dunno why people think it won't work. I've done this a few times.

Depending on the laptop you can run into problems with drivers and the like, but most of the times I've tried it, the first boot Windows goes nuts finding a load of new hardware and installing drivers for it, and has itself sorted out by the time it boots again.

The only downside to this is that when your new PC comes along you'll have a bunch off extra drivers installed on your laptop drive which won't be used.

Ive seen it work, and completely fail. There are a few large hurdles, eg AHCI mode, if one has it enabled and the other not booting will plain fail. Its worth a 5 minute shot though, chance of bricking the install is very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I might work. But it will be unreliable. Windows doesn't like low level changes like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement