Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malaysia earthquake: British woman arrested for 'stripping naked and causing quake

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

A British student jailed in Malaysia after being accused of causing an earthquake by posing naked on a sacred mountain is said to be "scared and upset".!!!

A few days later, a 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck nearby and killed 18 climbers - prompting a senior Malaysian politician to say that the tourists' behaviour was to blame.

[U]What sort of mumbo jumbo is that?>>> Absolute nonsense ![/[/U]I]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

is it any more nonsense than the bible though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kalman wrote: »
    [U]What sort of mumbo jumbo is that?>>> Absolute nonsense ![/[/U]I]

She is in jail for public indecency, a law that exists in her native UK. I fail to see the nonsense for someone being arrested for breaking the law. If you actually read beyond the sensationalism, you will see that the people blaming them for the earth quake is not why they were arrested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

ya f her she deserves to be punished ,

she was specifically warned not to expose herself of otherwise disrespect the area and chose to disregard it.

a stupid young girl learning lessons.

Why aren't the naked men being punished?

is it any more nonsense than the bible though?

The whole idea, as far as I'm concerned, is nonsense . [my view]
    [What I do believe is: If I fail to pay my gas bill next month, I will no-longer be able to use the cooker.

[/I]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Candie wrote: »

What makes you think they aren't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

and here I was thinking that Ireland was full of weird inbred God fearing abortion hating morons.....

Some have left the country already, but some of the men have been arrested as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads merged

wes wrote: »
    She is in jail for public indecency, a law that exists in her native UK. I fail to see the nonsense for someone being arrested for breaking the law. If you actually read beyond the sensationalism, you will see that the people blaming them for the earth quake is not why they were arrested.

The nonsense is: that she is held responsible for a earthquake that struck nearby and killed 18 climbers. Absolute nonsense!

I have read the article! If the earthquake had not have happened then all would be OK . She supposedly upset some spirits of the mountain huh!! Taking your clothes off is not a hanging offence .
    As far as I can remember, the only spirits that I ever upset, came from a bottle

psinno wrote: »
    What makes you think they aren't?

The focus is almost entirely on the woman and how she broke local laws. Nary a mention of the chaps involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Celeb big brother has found a new contestant. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The focus is almost entirely on the woman and how she broke local laws. Nary a mention of the chaps involved.

Reports I read said that she was the only British person arrested. It's pretty normal for the British media to ignore the arrests of the others.

Did we read the same article? Naturally the British press concentrate a little more on the British person.

"A British woman is believed to be among a group of tourists arrested in Malaysia for stripping naked on a mountain, which locals believe caused an earthquake in which 16 people were killed.

The woman is aged between 20 and 33, CNN reported, and is being held alongside two Canadian brothers and a Dutch woman after they allegedly took a photograph of themselves nude at the peak's summit."

• Advertisement

Reports I read said that she was the only British person arrested. It's pretty normal for the British media to ignore the arrests of the others.

"Those arrested (in order of importance), include one Briton and two Americans...." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Because bewbs :)

catallus wrote: »
    Because bewbs :)

Killer bewbs at that.

Killer bewbs at that.

Mmmmmm, killer bewbs :p

Did we read the same article? Naturally the British press concentrate a little more on the British person.

"A British woman is believed to be among a group of tourists arrested in Malaysia for stripping naked on a mountain, which locals believe caused an earthquake in which 16 people were killed.

The woman is aged between 20 and 33, CNN reported, and is being held alongside two Canadian brothers and a Dutch woman after they allegedly took a photograph of themselves nude at the peak's summit."

Yeah, I'm talking about the thread focusing on the woman. That's all, no need to have a conniption over some imagined slight or agenda. I realise she's the one with the boobs and this must be discussed, ok?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm talking about the thread focusing on the woman. That's all, no need to have a conniption over some imagined slight or agenda. I realise she's the one with the boobs and this must be discussed, ok?

So when you asked 'Why aren't the naked men being punished?' the punishment you were referring to is this discussion not the imprisonment in Malaysia?

So when you asked 'Why aren't the naked men being punished?' the punishment you were referring to is this discussion not the imprisonment in Malaysia?

I had assumed the men weren't being punished because it wasn't being discussed. Is that ok? Do I need permission to ask questions? Are you determined to see something that doesn't exist maybe?

So the men are being punished, and the woman is being punished, and the thread focuses on the woman. Do you have some issue with the question? You seem to have your hackles up for no reason.

Do you have some issue with the question?

Generally speaking I deplore commenting on things without reading the article in question or even the first post. Informed commenting is kinda more informing.

Generally speaking I deplore commenting on things without reading the article in question or even the first post. Informed commenting is kinda more informing.

Feel free to ignore mine. I won't mind at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think the thread is focused on one person because the British press focused on the British member of the group. There were three other western tourists who turned themselves in. They should have paid attention to local laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Maybe it's just me, but if I had just climbed a mountain, my first thought would not be "Jaysus, I must get my lad out". Methinks they were well aware of the customs and decided to s*** all over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Hope the punishment isn't ridiculously draconian, but it was a dopey thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Apparently its a ridiculous fad that's been going on and the locals are rightfully fed up of badly-behaved foreigners coming around to expose themselves on their sacred mountain because they're idiots (the tourists, not the locals). Not the first time it's happened but by God (or spirits), says the fed-up Malaysian government, it'll be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What need have God's for clothes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Those involved deserve any punishment they will get.
    Nobody deserves punishment for taking their clothes off on top of a mountain. However, any punishment they do receive will be an important/unfortunate lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

K4t wrote: »
    Nobody deserves punishment for taking their clothes off on top of a mountain. However, any punishment they do receive will be an important/unfortunate lesson.

They do if they break the law but apparently these enlightened worldly progressive snowflakes can't think outside the box and are then surprised that the locals may be upset by their juvenile actions, all of course was just to crave attention for their facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jank wrote: »
    all of course was just to crave attention for their facebook page.

How do you know this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Turtwig wrote: »
    How do you know this?

Check the posed photos of them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

because apparently naked men don't offend the diving creator of the universe like a naked female does ... that just sends him right over the edge ... imagine that ?

the_monkey wrote: »
    because apparently naked men don't offend the diving creator of the universe like a naked female does ... that just sends him right over the edge ... imagine that ?

The men who were still in the country were also arrested, but we shouldn't let things like facts get in the way of things......

BTW, once again Western countries have in many cases indecency laws, including the UK, where the Woman is from, so its not even a case of them breaking some weird foreign law, but rather on that in many cases exist in there own countries as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Did she know it was considered sacred? If so she deserves punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

steddyeddy wrote: »

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense in any jurisdiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

josip wrote: »
    Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense in any jurisdiction

True that.

What?

How do you come to that conclusion?

Surely it is the act itself and not the intent to sacrilege that is wrong?

Unless you actually think sacrilege should be illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Well, the backwards, stone age, neolithic Malaysians have imposed very draconian sentences on this lot. A fine and 3 days in prison, which they've already served. Why won't Malaysia just calm the flup down??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I think they got of lightly, not only stripping, but urinating on the mountain to, all against their guides advise who was with them, why people are saying that it's harsh I don't know they would of been arrested and fined in UK or here had they done this !

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Well, the backwards, stone age, neolithic Malaysians have imposed very draconian sentences on this lot. A fine and 3 days in prison, which they've already served. Why won't Malaysia just calm the flup down??

There's an awful lot of posters that are being very dismissive towards the locals in this case; "backwards", "stone age", etc. (You're not the first, LDN, just the most recent there!). The area is very strongly regarded, being one of the most important biological diversity sites in the world, as well as an area of rich local history and tradition. They apparently insulted the climbing guide, disobeyed his requests to not act like tits and publically exposed themselves in front of at least one person who was made very uncomfortable about it due to his own beliefs, while verbally abusing him.

The area is known, by the way, as the "revered abode of the dead". They were guests in that country and they behaved disgracefully. We wouldn't be that happy at some dumbass fad to strip naked in graveyards around the world if they did it in Ireland. (It's apparently a fad to strip naked in world heritage sites - sheesh, go back to planking already).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I don't actually think that Samaris. I'm highlighting how ridiculous the previous posts from people about "neolithic Malaysia" were in light of the fact that they were sentenced to around 8 years less than the British state has seen fit to imprison Stephen Gough (The Naked Rambler) for the crime of walking around wth out clothes on.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I don't actually think that Samaris. I'm highlighting how ridiculous the previous posts from people about "neolithic Malaysia" were in light of the fact that they were sentenced to around 8 years less than the British state has seen fit to imprison Stephen Gough (The Naked Rambler) for the crime of walking around wth out clothes on.

Ahh, gotcha. I think the Stephen Gough case is a bit demented too, although he could probably also put some pants on! :D

Amoralists can't understand the concept of responsibility, so is it really any wonder that they fall short of the standards set by those who do not share their nihilism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Backward ha, we were told all that ould sh1te about god made the world, heaven and hell, and lots of other porkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Hope the punishment isn't ridiculously draconian, but it was a dopey thing to do.

If the authorities there play politics they'll send them home with a warning never to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

How can a mountain be sacred? Is there proof that gods/demons/spirits or anything else exist that could make it "sacred" exist?

They got naked on a mountain, big deal, is there something inherently wrong with nudity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It's frowned upon anywhere, including this country, for people to be disrespectful of what's considered a sacred site.
    I don't agree they deserve a "severe" punishment, that's ridiculous - but they knew what they were doing, and were eejits to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It's frowned upon anywhere, including this country, for people to be disrespectful of what's considered a sacred site.
    I don't agree they deserve a "severe" punishment, that's ridiculous - but they knew what they were doing, and were eejits to do it.

Whoever thought that fresh air on a pair of boobs caused an earthquake is the eejti.

• Advertisement
Advertisement