Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account Hacked

Options
  • 11-06-2015 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I had all the money taken from my account last Sunday night (€800). I immediately contacted Banking365 and they passed the matter on to the fraud department, who confirmed that they got the money using my Visa Debit card which was immediately cancelled.

i am concerned however that when I get the new card the same thing could happen again as I never used my old card to pay for goods or withdraw money, I only ever used it to lodge money in branch or pay for goods online. The latter is what's worrying me as I'm very careful and only use trusted websites, like Amazon, iTunes or Paypal. Is there any way of knowing how my card number was accessed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi greyc

Thanks for coming to us here on Boards with your query today.

We're very sorry to hear of your recent situation and totally understand your concerns. As this has been raised with our Fraud Department via BOI365, this Dept. will investigate this thoroughly for you and once it has fully investigated, they will provide an update to you in relation to your specific fraud case.

We have some information here to help with using your Visa Debit Card abroad and in ATMs. etc. you may find useful too. 

If we can help further please do feel free to get in touch.

Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I was under the impression that you should never use a debit card online, only credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

mordeith wrote: »
    I was under the impression that you should never use a debit card online, only credit cards.
    Hi mordeith

Both card types can be used for online purchases. 

We would suggest to help protect your card details, to try and ensure you are purchasing from trusted websites.

Websites may also have security features in place like Verified by Visa and 3D Secure.

Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Sorry to hear that OP.  A friend of mine had a load of money stolen from his account a few years ago as his card got scanned in an ATM.  Ever since then I only ever keep a small amount of money in my current account to cover purchases I need to make and put the rest into the savings account.  That way if my card is compromised, there would only be a small amount that can be taken.

Advertisement