Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pencil in the LC!!

• 11-06-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I wrote two of my exams in pencil in my Leaving Cert; French and Maths and I'm really worried that they are gonna fade by the time they are corrected and I'll fail the exams! Someone told me they had seen the writing disappear for a student and I'm just wondering does anyone know if this happens a lot and if it does will it effect my marks much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I doubt it will fade that much to be honest! I still have books from primary school written in pencil and there fine and that was 5 years ago at least!
    I personally don't know how people can do maths exams in pen!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pencil lasts hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sarah15

Thanks so much! I really hope it doesn't I can't stop thinking about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

You'll be grand, seriously don't worry at all, the exam papers are stacked up and stored safely for marking, there won't be any wear or tear on them at all. Ive copy books from 15/20 years ago in pencil still readable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It's not that they fade it's that someone can rub it out after you've done the exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

aphex™ wrote: »
    It's not that they fade it's that someone can rub it out after you've done the exam

Why would anyone do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

mordeith wrote: »
    Why would anyone do that?

Because there are mischievous children in markers houses and /or bad people in this world.

I'm sorry you had to hear this from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Accounting basically has to be done in pencil so I don't see how this could be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Scirpt wrote: »
    Accounting basically has to be done in pencil so I don't see how this could be a problem.

Does it :confused::confused: I've always done it in pen. I hate using pencils to write with now.

• Advertisement

Blue giant wrote: »
    Does it :confused::confused: I've always done it in pen. I hate using pencils to write with now.
    I hate to write in pencil but what do you do if you make a mistake in one of your accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Scirpt wrote: »
    I hate to write in pencil but what do you do if you make a mistake in one of your accounts?

Normally I'd just scribble it out and put the right figure beside it. My writing is much slower using a pencil as well.

Blue giant wrote: »
    Normally I'd just scribble it out and put the right figure beside it. My writing is much slower using a pencil as well.
    I guess you don't make as many mistakes as me! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's a soft pencil it can smudge badly by the time it gets to Athlone, gets packed into bags, gets humped around by the staff in Athlone, then flung into the corrector's car - especially if you have written on opposite pages.
    Best stick to biro/pen, though of course not red or green.

That's not good news. Now I'm thinking I should use pen for Accounting :confused:

Edit - saw a great suggestion on another thread. Use pen and use that white tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The odds are that you will be fine. However it is not a risk I would take. Also pencil is not as easy to mark as ink for the corrector.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

My maths teacher told us to write in pen, as you can still get marks for something you've crossed out. I think it looks neater too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

Did my maths and German in pencil and I'm kinda worried now! My grip is really strong though and I always dig into the paper so maybe it's okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No pencil writing should have become illegible before the papers are corrected. All of dcg/sketches are done in pencil. Although a softer B pencil can smudge, it won't smudge to such a state that it cant be read. If you must use a pencil then I'd advise a harder pencil, 2H or anything H even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 kiwiq

Stop worrying, there is no chance it will fade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BuckleyCX

I did my entire Leaving Cert in pencil last year and I had no issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I did both maths papers in pencil last year and it was fine :)

Maybe if you write out a page or two of something using the same pencil that you used in the exams and then that can reassure you when you see that it won't have faded before the results :)

Advertisement