Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty running after swimming (Aquathlon)

• 11-06-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

So I did my 2nd Aquathlon yesterday eve. Unlike the first one (nearly last) this time I finished slightly better than mid pack so overall I'm happy.
    BUT what is the story with running after a sea swim!!!!!!??? I could not get my speed up... couldn't loosen up the shoulders/arms... breathing so so heavy huffing & puffing the whole 5km. I can run faster than I did that's for sure.

So is this normal? or can I put it down to inexperience/novice swimming ?
    I didn't hear anyone breathing like I was ;(

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Steroo wrote: »
    So I did my 2nd Aquathlon yesterday eve. Unlike the first one (nearly last) this time I finished slightly better than mid pack so overall I'm happy.
    BUT what is the story with running after a sea swim!!!!!!??? I could not get my speed up... couldn't loosen up the shoulders/arms... breathing so so heavy huffing & puffing the whole 5km. I can run faster than I did that's for sure.

I didn't hear anyone breathing like I was ;(

transitioning into the run from another leg is always going to be different than a stand alone run, and save for some exceptions, slower. HR will always be elevated after a swim.

it's something you can practise, after some of your swims change into running gear and go for even a 15 minute run to get the body used to the transition

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I didn't hear anyone breathing like I was ;([/QUOTE]

Hi Steroo,
    I have a reasonably good running background but as a newbie swimmer, I only have completed one Aquathon (Howth) so far and the run went really well for me. I found that slightly slowing down/relaxing (not too much mind you :D)in transition worked for me, get a second wind, quick swig of Lucozade and then set off.

I then ran the first KM at a steady pace to get my breathing right and then put the boot down and ran until I was slightly 'uncomfortable' and then backed off slightly for the last few KM's and found that this way, I could maintain a good steady comfortable pace.

I passed 30+ people on the run in Howth and this strategy worked well for me in a number of Duathlons too after the bike.

I did notice a lot of people at Howth struggling with their breathing in the run, I think that a lot of them set off too fast in the first KM or two and burned themselves out too soon ........hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭El Director

OP - do you feel dizzy at all after the swim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Some people cannot cope with the change from exercising while prone to exercising while vertical. Its effectively a firm of motion sickness.

You can try tablets, bands, hats and other things. Swimming lots and lots helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

OP - do you feel dizzy at all after the swim?

Yea but only for a minute or two.. Usually feel grounded by the time I've my runners on. I think it's the high heart rate .. Probably still not relaxed enough in the open water.

But thanks for all the advice.

I'll just keep doing it and doing it. I'll slow my run down to start next time and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

tunney wrote: »
    Some people cannot cope with the change from exercising while prone to exercising while vertical. Its effectively a firm of motion sickness.

You can try tablets, bands, hats and other things. Swimming lots and lots helps too.

So true, while swimming, your upper limbs/torso/shoulders have increased blood flow. When you stand and legs increase blood flow there is a period of dizziness/weakness and body is adjusting.

Supposedly in the last 100-200m, increasing your kick and getting the legs working a bit harder begins the process of adjustment so the symptoms are not so severe (although I cant say it worked for me).

As others have mentioned, the only real way to improve is to run after swimming. I am a time crunched triathlete and thus try usually to squeeze even a 15-20 min fast paced run immediately after swimming. After even a few weeks you will find a huge improvement.

Yea but only for a minute or two.. Usually feel grounded by the time I've my runners on. I think it's the high heart rate .. Probably still not relaxed enough in the open water.

But thanks for all the advice.

I'll just keep doing it and doing it. I'll slow my run down to start next time and see.

I ask because when I started I had trouble going from swim to run. Ear plugs sorted that out for me-for good. May not help you but Diego helped me.

I ask because when I started I had trouble going from swim to run. Ear plugs sorted that out for me-for good. May not help you but Diego helped me.

Thanks. I should mention I was breathing every 2 strokes the whole way... so I think this drives the HR up. something to work on for me

Thanks. I should mention I was breathing every 2 strokes the whole way... so I think this drives the HR up. something to work on for me

That should actually should keep HR down.

Confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I know where you are coming from. Usually a reduction in the rate of breathing is followed by a reduction in heart rate. However I'm not sure that holds true when the level of exertion does not reduce. You just go hypoxic I would have said

Advertisement