Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg. Progress to Date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

On mobile so no pics but
    Spuds are doing well
    As are lettuce carrots and broccoli
    Sugar snap peas are still getting snail damage so not too happy some are about 8 inches tall at the moment
    Autumn raspberries, have stayed short perhaps need more water
    My first time growing veg so not 100% on care required
    Might post pics later

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Peas
    Spuds
    Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Raspberries

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Onions from seed failed . Kale eaten .wheat blew down last week in high wind. carrots not doing good in my heavy soil. Left the tap on for 24 hours put 300L in under ground Polly tunne hand to bucket it out it was from rain water tank rather the. Irish water. :)

Strawberry tower doing great Tom's potatoes linseed quino all good .Runner beans and peas are taking hold leaks planted out last week. Chilli and sweet are growing slowly but good .

Lots to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

First season grower, so in the unknown... everything a bit slow, I think due to the cold weather. Snap peas about 2 feet high, tomatoes very slow, potatoes (in bags) looking good but don't think there is any potatoes yet (not sure!). lettuce doing well, fennel has taken off this last week (again, not really sure how to tell when its ready). Strawberry's looking terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

This may be a stupid question, but as a bit of a noob to the whole gardening thing:

I am trying to sow cabbage / broccoli / cauliflower now (after a reasonably successful season last year with courgette, tomatoes, peas etc)

The packets say that I can scatter direct into the soil to grow now, and then maybe thin them out later on if they are close together (or words to that effect)

Would I be wasting time if I started these as seedlings in cells in a greenhouse and planted them out in a few weeks, or is it better to just chuck them in the soil and hope for the best?
    I can obviously do both, but I only have a small bit of free space in my poly greenhouse thing that I would like to use for something else if it was deemed a “waste” by more experienced folk here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement