Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington Triathlon

Options
  • 11-06-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Anybody been to this one last year? I heard only good reviews so decided to sign up as first Oly this year - what is to be expected? Heard the swim is a bit cold (but which isn't?), bike is fast and flat, Run a bit hilly but decent and nice? What about numbers, is it more of a "local" feel with <50 participants or?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

According to their FB posts as of the 3rd they had 200+ total entries for sprint and Oly

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Think the numbers are up above 250 now for the sprint and oly.

The Lake should be warm enough come Sunday.

The first 1k of the bike is hilly so make sure the gears are nice and low , the next 9k is flat and fast.

The next 4k is the 'technical' part of the course . The rood is bad and there is a fair few turns. The last 6k is on alright road with a couple of sharp climbs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I've yet to sign up but likely will be doing the sprint as my first triathlon.

Edit - just registered....slippery slope

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

I'm also in for this - my first oly distance. Good to see some numbers entering for this. Has anyone seen any info, registration times, transition arrangements etc.?

Bludub wrote: »
    I'm also in for this - my first oly distance. Good to see some numbers entering for this. Has anyone seen any info, registration times, transition arrangements etc.?

Here you go !

https://www.facebook.com/blessingtontriathlon/posts/639180599515506

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I signed up for the Sprint Event last weekend and it's my first Tri.........training all done.........really looking forward to it now!!

smashiner wrote: »
    I signed up for the Sprint Event last weekend and it's my first Tri.........training all done.........really looking forward to it now!!

First timer too......hopefully the water won't be too much of a shock

TheBazman wrote: »
    First timer too......hopefully the water won't be too much of a shock

I am planning to get into the water for a few minutes before the race starts, just to get used to the cold. Did this for the Howth Aquathon and it definitely helped to get over the initial cold shock before the swim actually starts.

Best of luck with your debut too, I will be the lad dressed from head to toe in Aldi gear, the cycle to work bike and the wetsuit on backwards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Does anyone here know if regular joes can swim in the lake at any stage? Signed up for tri later in the year and want to do some OW training away from the sea...

BohToffee wrote: »
    Does anyone here know if regular joes can swim in the lake at any stage? Signed up for tri later in the year and want to do some OW training away from the sea...

Nope it's strictly forbidden ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Thanks boysinblack guess I'll have to head for 40ft so...

Did this today as my first triathlon. Amazing how disorientating the swim was - really had to work hard just to stay calm and technique was out the window. Happy with my cycle, but the run was slowish. Great event and ideal for me to start with. Loads of grub afterwards was also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Yep, this was really nice event. I had real troubles with the swim due to weakness/illness, but nice was ok-ish (course was mostly fast and nice) and run was quite nice :) Will write a review as soon as I get just a bit better.

What do others think about the event, organization? Does anyone know when and where can we expect official results?

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Yep, this was really nice event. I had real troubles with the swim due to weakness/illness, but nice was ok-ish (course was mostly fast and nice) and run was quite nice :) Will write a review as soon as I get just a bit better.

What do others think about the event, organization? Does anyone know when and where can we expect official results?

Here you go !

http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=54&raceName=Blessington+Triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

iAcesHigh wrote: »

Results:
    http://www.sportsplits.com/Home/QuickResults?clientId=74&raceId=54&raceName=Blessington+Triathlon

AnswerIs42 wrote: »

Completed my first Sprint Tri yesterday and have to say I really enjoyed it. I struggled a bit on first part of the swim, but once I turned at the last buoy I felt a bit better and got into a decent routine, delighted to feel the feet hit the ground at the shore!
    The bike went ok as the route was nice and I was on a high from getting out of the water. I needlessly took an ISOGel at about 15k in on the bike and my stomach started to do cartwheels....not good :eek:.
    I started the run, which is usually my strongest discipline and I got severe cramps all over my stomach, probably a combination of lake water and a dodgy ISOGel :rolleyes:.....didn't let it bother me too much and I lightly jogged the first 2K and then picked it up a slight bit for the last 3K to finish my first Triathlon!!.
    Great event, Willie Purcell and his team did an excellent job for a great charity too, I would definately do this Tri again. Well done to all the newbie Triathletes yesterday!
    I am going to sign up for the Mondello Duathlon (same people) in early July, I did one last year and I really enjoyed that too.

P.S. Where did all the green hats go after the race :pac::D:D:D ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

smashiner wrote: »
    Completed my first Sprint Tri yesterday and have to say I really enjoyed it. I struggled a bit on first part of the swim, but once I turned at the last buoy I felt a bit better and got into a decent routine, delighted to feel the feet hit the ground at the shore!
    The bike went ok as the route was nice and I was on a high from getting out of the water. I needlessly took an ISOGel at about 15k in on the bike and my stomach started to do cartwheels....not good :eek:.
    I started the run, which is usually my strongest discipline and I got severe cramps all over my stomach, probably a combination of lake water and a dodgy ISOGel :rolleyes:.....didn't let it bother me too much and I lightly jogged the first 2K and then picked it up a slight bit for the last 3K to finish my first Triathlon!!.
    Great event, Willie Purcell and his team did an excellent job for a great charity too, I would definately do this Tri again. Well done to all the newbie Triathletes yesterday!
    I am going to sign up for the Mondello Duathlon (same people) in early July, I did one last year and I really enjoyed that too.

P.S. Where did all the green hats go after the race :pac::D:D:D ??

Had you to ever taken a gel in training? Did you take it or the sake of it or did you feel yourself needing it?

I would recommend not doing anything in a race you have not done in training, some products jus don't agree with people. Those zero plus drinks for example with caffeine go right through me but the one without caffeine I find great an no adverse effects. There's a good chance in a sprint you can do without any gels but a lot of variables may leave you needing an extra boost.

Had you to ever taken a gel in training? Did you take it or the sake of it or did you feel yourself needing it?

I would recommend not doing anything in a race you have not done in training, some products jus don't agree with people. Those zero plus drinks for example with caffeine go right through me but the one without caffeine I find great an no adverse effects. There's a good chance in a sprint you can do without any gels but a lot of variables may leave you needing an extra boost.

I have taken Gels in Marathon training before without any bad experiences, didn't need them on Aquathon/Duathlons in the past (Lucozade only was fine). Normally would not try anything new on race day.....rookie mistake on the day. I should have known better, probably don't need to take any Gels for any event <2 hours.......lesson learned, thankfully didn't happen in a longer event :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Finally, here is what I think about Blessington triathlon - hopefully see you next year with some better performance... :)

http://goranmarkus.com/en/what-has-to-be-done/

Advertisement