Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Fryer LIDL 15 June

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just picked one up 5 mins ago in the Lidl on the Walkinstown Road. Still 5 or 6 left there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    How did you do a Spanish omelet in the little basket?
    I do eggs in silicone cup cases/fairy cake cases.

110106.jpg

I think you get 6 for €1.49 in dealz.
    http://www.dealz.ie/jane-asher-silicone-cake-cases

Baked-eggs-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

This thread is useless without videos of making chips and other stuff. Id like to see how they look after being cooked and a review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

This thread is useless without videos of making chips and other stuff. Id like to see how they look after being cooked and a review.

This is a bargain alert thread, I think what you're looking for is Youtube! Type in Air Fryer recipes!

sok2005 wrote: »
    This is a bargain alert thread, I think what you're looking for is Youtube! Type in Air Fryer recipes!

I already did and most of it was either foreign or adverts form the manufacturers. I wanted to see videos of this specific model form members on here. No harm in expanding the content in here as LIDL bargain alerts are so time sensitive the thread would die shortly anyway.

VIDEOS!!! I want to see some chips :D

Just cooked some Supervalu Chicken Maryland and Mcain oven chips.
    Absolutely delish.
    The basket wasn't big enough to put chicken side by side so I just put one on top of the other and turned them half way through. 18 mins for chicken and the were lovely. Really crispy breaded skin and lovely moist chicken.
    Oven chips 10mins and they really were very nice.
    Delighted with it so far.
    The big test will be Friday nights steak dinner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Are they noisy and how long to cook chips for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Naykid

Picked one up in Maynooth at half 8 last night. (the last one)
    Box was opened but everything appears to be there. Havent fired it up yet but looking forward to it. Ive been wanting a fryer for a long time but hate the mess of a deep fat fryer.
    I presume these things are way cleaner than the oil fryers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Picked up one in Lidl on headford rd galway. Still 5 more left there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Picked one up in Ennis just now, there was 5 left. Gort only got 2 and both were gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I have a Tefal Air Fryer which is on its last legs. How do these compare ? Has anyone used them both ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I have a Tefal Air Fryer which is on its last legs. How do these compare ? Has anyone used them both ?

Tefal made air fryers?

Tefal made air fryers?
    tefal make the actifry
    Has anyone used them both ?
    there is a thread about both here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063796

I think 1 or 2 posters had both and preferred the philips airfryer. The lidl one is definitely copying the philips airfyer and not the actifry.

I think peoples actifrys were breaking down, just like yours appears to be. Seems there are less parts to go wrong on an airfyer.

My Tefal Actifry recently packed up too, it gave me years of service though so I planned on getting a new version of it as a replacement but when I saw the price of the Lidl Airfryer I thought I'd give it a shot instead.

I can honestly say I find it a whole lot quicker than the Actifry, no issue with the loss of a stirring arm, the food from the Air Fryer has always come out evenly cooked for me. I had a family sized Actifry originally and I don't notice a change in the amount of food I can get cooked at one time either. The only thing I can't comment on is the longevity of the machine but the Lidl machine has a 3 year warranty as standard so I have high hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very few reports of the Airfryer breaking down anywhere from what I can see so hopefully Lidl is the same, it is just a heating element and a fan so hopefully lasts as long as a fan heater which can put in decades of service. You dont really need a stirring arm, give the basket a shake and its the same difference. I made perfect garlic bread in mine last night, took about 5 minutes to cook. Aldi have packets of Southern Fried chicken at the minute aswell and they come out of the Airfryer better than the takeaway stuff for a third of the price.

• Advertisement

How long did you out the southern fried chicken on for?

Interesting to note that the airfryer is £49.99 from Lidl in the UK, so even with the shocking exchange rate, its still much cheaper than in the South.

£49.99 comes to about €70 at current rates, €10 is not a whole lot of difference considering the economies of scale you'd get selling stuff like this in the UK vs Ireland and all the higher costs over here, very fair actually. Also Lidl gave you the option of using a €10 voucher every time you spent €50 so its actually the exact same as the UK.

glineli wrote: »
    How long did you out the southern fried chicken on for?
    Hmmm, not exactly sure but I seriously doubt they were in there for longer than 12 minutes, 12 minutes seems to be a sweetspot for non frozen meat, this is in a Philips though not Lidl, just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine, dont be surprised if it only takes 10 minutes to cook something especially processed stuff.

The philips instructions say to half the time the packet says for a regular fan oven.

I usually do not preheat mine, so I put it in from the start and half the advised cooking time and add 5mins.

these fresh southern fried chicken pieces can say 40-45mins. So I might go 25-27mins

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279947656

portions with bone tend to advise longer times.

While these goujons are only 10-12mins
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=279936099

with shorter time items like this I do not tend to simply half it, if I did preheat I would want at least 7mins on those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Got one of these, heats up to 200 C fast. Cooked some chicken drumsticks and southern fried chicken fillets today. Cooked the drumsticks for 20mins, turned half way through, the pack said oven cook for 35mins. The chicken fillets took 15 mins. They were small in size.

Very nice, crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside. Fish and chips tomorrow.
    Easy to clean, very happy with it. Can also stick it in the dishwasher.

£49.99 comes to about €70 at current rates, €10 is not a whole lot of difference considering the economies of scale you'd get selling stuff like this in the UK vs Ireland and all the higher costs over here, very fair actually. Also Lidl gave you the option of using a €10 voucher every time you spent €50 so its actually the exact same as the UK.

Not really. You would be better off spending the €10 on something else in Lidl and if youre near the North, like I am, buy it there for €61.

I check the prices of ALL the specials I am interested in each week and usually there isnt a big difference, but €9 is a lot.

Not really. You would be better off spending the €10 on something else in Lidl and if youre near the North, like I am, buy it there for €61.

I check the prices of ALL the specials I am interested in each week and usually there isnt a big difference, but €9 is a lot.
    No, you claim you can get it much cheaper in your original post. You can actually get it for the exact same price. You can just buy another paper for another voucher if you want to buy other stuff. You wont be buying it in the north for €61, you'll be buying it for €70 + whatever you're charged for the conversion plus whatever it costs to cross the border and back so its actually more expensive to buy it up north than to use a voucher down South :confused:

No, you claim you can get it much cheaper in your original post. You can actually get it for the exact same price. You can just buy another paper for another voucher if you want to buy other stuff. You wont be buying it in the north for €61, you'll be buying it for €70 + whatever you're charged for the conversion plus whatever it costs to cross the border and back so its actually more expensive to buy it up north than to use a voucher down South :confused:

That was a typo when I wrote €61. It doesnt cost me or most people near the border anything extra to go there, we all go there in flocks as so much stuff is way cheaper there, like alcohol, heating oil etc etc etc. Not to mention the absolutely massive amount of extra choice of products in supermarkets like Tesco and Asda and Sainsburys. For some reason Ireland is obsessed with all this Buy Irish ****e, its stifled choice and people get lumped with paying more for inferior produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Quick Review.

Seems well built, isnt too noisy. On first inspection, I thought the basket might be a bit small in size. Other than that, it looks well and doesn't look like it will be hard to clean.

I made some chips from some spuds I had laying about. They were done in about half the time they would take in the oven, well, about that. I threw two frozen salmon fillets on top towards the end of the chips cycle. The chips and salmon both came out beautiful. So overall pretty happy with the purchase. I mean, its essentially just a small oven. Should save a good bit of money on the leccy bill by using this over regular oven. Oh and regarding the basket possibly being too small, I was wrong. I had, at a guess, about 500g of chips in there, plus two salmon fillets and not a bother on her ;D

Gonna try finishing off some steaks in it the weekend. Oh and bargain hunters, supervalu still have 33% off striploin steaks atm. I got two on tuesday evening, some of the nicest cuts of steak I've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Have an Actifry. On my second arm thingy and second top perspex top lid.

Makes nice food, but quality of product sucks. Also the whole thing has welded on grime after 3 years use. I clean it regularly, but it still looks shocking manky now. Looking for an excuse to dump it for a better tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

rubadub wrote: »

there is a thread about both here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063796

I think 1 or 2 posters had both and preferred the philips airfryer. The lidl one is definitely copying the philips airfyer and not the actifry.

I think peoples actifrys were breaking down, just like yours appears to be. Seems there are less parts to go wrong on an airfyer.

Thanks. I liked the Actifry especially the way it would stir food around which was great for the lazy
    Have an Actifry. On my second arm thingy and second top perspex top lid.

Makes nice food, but quality of product sucks. Also the whole thing has welded on grime after 3 years use. I clean it regularly, but it still looks shocking manky now. Looking for an excuse to dump it for a better tool.

Its' very hard to clean yet operates using oil. No matter how little oil is involved, I cant put the main unit into the dishwasher and that represents a big problem with stains all over the motors air ducts. Over time the handle started to fall off the inside dish and the rotating arm cracked. I can still get it to rotate if I stick a small stainless steel screw into it at an angle but manky is definitely the word for it. The food is great though but I find myself not using it much any longer. The handle falling off the dish was the biggest disappointment because the arm had been dropped [not by me but by someone who didnt even know what it was] but the handle had been well taken care of and constantly cleaned properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Several of these were available at Lidl in Cirk City centre (Coal Quay) yesterday in case anyone in Cork is still looking. I got one - chips tonight :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

None available in Donegal Town. They seem to be popular around here.

Fish fingers come out much better in this then the oven. Kids happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Are there any of these left in Dublin ?

I only noticed the thread now. I'll check in the two lidls that are on my journey home from work this evening.

Tried homemade chips the other night.
    Bit of a disaster. Burnt in outside and uncooked in the middle.

Had temp at 200c
    Any advice? Maybe I should have parboiled them first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Gulliver wrote: »
    None available in Donegal Town. They seem to be popular around here.

One left in old lidl in letterkenny

Casey78 wrote: »

Had temp at 200c
    My 2 attempts at homemade were a disaster aswell in the Philips, oven chips come out better than the oven though, nearly as good as deepfat fried homemade.

I only do sweet potato chips but should be similar. I cut them up and soak a while in water, drain and cook for maybe 3-4mins. This dries off the outside a bit, I then toss them in oil. This makes them absorb the oil more. If you toss them in oil when wet the oil can be just blown off by the fan. After more cooking I take them out and toss in oil again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I don't know much about these Air Fryer's but they seem very good. Might get one if its more economical electricity wise.

Does anyone have any links about electricity consumption compared to an oven? I came across a blog review which said the oven was still cheaper but its possible the review was biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Had a look round for one of these yesterday.

Tried greenhills, walkinstown, ballyfermot, and terenure lidl and none in any of them branches.

If anyone spots one around Dublin, please let us know which branch. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Had temp at 200c

I made some at the weekend and they were grand.
    Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that patatas bravas size chips work best, so that's what i did.
    I just cut them, dried them, added the oil and seasoning, and put them in at 200°C.
    I checked them on and off to give them a shake,so not sure how long exactly, but i'd guess 15 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Casey78 wrote:
    Tried homemade chips the other night. Bit of a disaster. Burnt in outside and uncooked in the middle.

Either par boil them or cut them really thin and cover lightly with cooking oil. Frozen or oven chips tend to turn out better.

• Advertisement

Had temp at 200c

Same as that, even frozen chips have come out a disaster, kids not happy

I've used the aldi specially selected crinkle cut chips.
    I gave them a shake every 5 mins and cooked for 15 mins total.
    Came out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Looks like they are all gone what do people thing of these I might purchase if they come up again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭amber2

These are coming up again on Monday in Lidl, just wondering what people who bought one last year make of them, have a Philips but looking for a spare as the Airfryer is used every day without fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

amber2 wrote: »
    These are coming up again on Monday in Lidl, just wondering what people who bought one last year make of them, have a Philips but looking for a spare as the Airfryer is used every day without fail.

x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Yer man looks delira with his chips!

Did anyone who bought one experience the same joy as yer man?

On a serious note, is it difficult to clean? It looks like it is.

hotairwk26_01_f.jpg
    SILVERCREST KITCHEN TOOLS® 1,650W Hot Air Fryer
    Fries without using added oil or fat

Capacity (frying basket): 2.3L

Basket & pan with non-stick function and are suitable for dishwasher

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »

I bought the Lidl version.
    At the start I found it excellent. I can't compare to Phillips as I haven't owned a Philips.
    Lately though I've been noticing it's not cooking food as well as it did and the food doesn't seem to taste as good and it takes longer to cook.
    Chips for example use to come out lovely and crispy and evenly cooked throughout the batch. Over the past few months I've noticed the are now coming out some burnt and some not cooked completely. Chicken Maryland is now taking as long to cook as it would in an oven is another example.
    Because of all this I rarely use it as much anymore. It has also become way more difficult to clean.
    I plan on buying the Large sized Philips soon enough as I did love the Lidl version for the first 6 months or so, so I'm hoping the Philips should stay working as it should longer than the Lidl version.
    That's been experience with the Lidl version anyway. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think they have a 3yr warranty, bring it back if its not performing like it once did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yer man looks delira with his chips!

Did anyone who bought one experience the same joy as yer man?

On a serious note, is it difficult to clean? It looks like it is.

hotairwk26_01_f.jpg

They're dishwasher safe but like anything that deals with greasy food, it's gonna take a good scrub every now and then. Compared with a Deep Fat Fryer its a million times cleaner. An oil Fryer means you have to scrub your entire kitchen, an air fryer keeps the mess inside the fryer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I bought the Lidl version.
    At the start I found it excellent. I can't compare to Phillips as I haven't owned a Philips.
    Lately though I've been noticing it's not cooking food as well as it did and the food doesn't seem to taste as good and it takes longer to cook.
    Chips for example use to come out lovely and crispy and evenly cooked throughout the batch. Over the past few months I've noticed the are now coming out some burnt and some not cooked completely. Chicken Maryland is now taking as long to cook as it would in an oven is another example.
    Because of all this I rarely use it as much anymore. It has also become way more difficult to clean.
    I plan on buying the Large sized Philips soon enough as I did love the Lidl version for the first 6 months or so, so I'm hoping the Philips should stay working as it should longer than the Lidl version.
    That's been experience with the Lidl version anyway. Hope that helps.

I bought the Philips one and we've had it 3 years bow, used every day. It still cooks the same but the clip that secures the basket to the Base is gone. Not a big deal. It still works great

Word of warning. My husband went in to buy the Air Fryer that was advertised on Lidl's website today. http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=48405

But, it's not the fancy one they have pictured, it's the old one that they had back in June for 79.99. They are now looking for 89.99 for the same one. That was in Ballincollig in Cork.
    Anyone know if any Lidl are selling the new style air fryers with the digital display?

• Advertisement
Advertisement